• Seems to help mpg

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • More pain then it is worth

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
So I read if a/c is on max or in manual shift mode the Stop feature will not shut down the engine. I also read some post saying the Tourx stop/start is smoother then in some other cars. Do though wonder what owners feelings are about this feature.

fng

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
It's occasionally irritating (when it shuts down as I'm parking the car in my garage), but overall it just works largely unnoticed in the background.

Last edited:

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
I really only notice when parking.

sined240

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I wish there was an off button, but I usually don't mind, unless I have my foot on the brake lightly and it jerks the vehicle.

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
When parking it's very irritating. Other than that not so much. Still wish I could disable it with a button.

I did install my override module a week ago and am loving it though.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The only time it's bothered me was at a very long stop - after something like 2-3 minutes shut down it restarted even with my foot on the brake, and it startled me, almost enough to get off the brake. But now that I know it could happen, I'll be less spooked.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Don't really notice it most of the time. I wonder what the tested mpg difference is for TourX, anyone know?

gmejia324

Buick Ownership
TourX
I find it to be a completely useless and annoying "feature". Having the a TourX for about a week, it kicks on way too frequently at really dumb instances. More than a few times in stop and go traffic it engages after the car has stopped for a second or two only to have it start up just as quickly. I've already ordered the disable module.

Loodle

Buick Ownership
Tourx
My Tour X got dinged and while it is in the shop I got a Grand Cherokee as a rental. The Tour X is MUCH smoother restarting than the Jeep, night and day. But there is a button to turn it off which is nice.

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
I find it to be a completely useless and annoying "feature". Having the a TourX for about a week, it kicks on way too frequently at really dumb instances. More than a few times in stop and go traffic it engages after the car has stopped for a second or two only to have it start up just as quickly. I've already ordered the disable module.
Well that sort of bites. Sorry to hear.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
When I lived in the country and had 85-90% of my commute on a highway, it was a mild annoyance bordering on dislike. Now that I commute 100% city, it gets used a lot and is definitely saving me MPGs.

It's a feature of the vehicle, learn its quirks and there's nothing to hate. I can control when I don't want it to engage (the easiest already mentioned - put the car into manual mode). Also, I tend to roll to stops now when there's a healthy line of cars, and often during the slowdown the light goes green and I'm many times able to keep moving without ever needing to come to a complete stop (wasting a 1-3 second 'stop' and engine cycle back on). If I'm approaching and the light just turned red I get stopped as quickly as I can to take advantage of the engine stopping.

Last edited:

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Manual mode. If the stop and go is that slow/bad, you probably want to anyway.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I would think the starter motor would wear out much sooner since it gets used more often. And unless you live in a big city with many traffic lights (Chicago Milwaukee etc) the feature won't save you much on gasoline.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I would think the starter motor would wear out much sooner since it gets used more often. And unless you live in a big city with many traffic lights (Chicago Milwaukee etc) the feature won't save you much on gasoline.
That’s what I’m most curious about. It will be interesting to see what shakes out as the years and miles progress.

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
That’s what I’m most curious about. It will be interesting to see what shakes out as the years and miles progress.
The feature has been around for a decade or so in other countries. Starter motors have been designed for higher cycle counts, engine mountings redone to reduce vibration and noise, bearings redesinged for better oil holding when they're not moving, and more. And it's really easy to start a hot engine, particularly one with a good fuel injection system. I would not lose sleep over it.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Just because the feature has been around for a decade doesn't mean that starters aren't failing prematurely. Depending on where you live and the length of your commute the starter motor could see 20 times or more of use. I doubt that modern starters are designed for that many more cycles in it's lifetime expectancy.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The feature has been around for a decade or so in other countries. Starter motors have been designed for higher cycle counts, engine mountings redone to reduce vibration and noise, bearings redesinged for better oil holding when they're not moving, and more. And it's really easy to start a hot engine, particularly one with a good fuel injection system. I would not lose sleep over it.
Yep. Understand all of that. I don’t lose sleep over it. Like I said, just curious to see how it lasts in our application. I’m used to changing a starter every 80-100k in my TDI, but this engine has far less compression and isn’t subjected to clutch dust.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.