Votes: 4 11.4%
  • More pain then it is worth

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
The automakers have put in this technology to conform with environmental regulations, but there has been testing done which shows that any fuel savings is insignificant. I have no doubt that in a few years there will be an increase in vehicles being towed in due to bad starters.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
With more vehicles having this feature, there are some vehicles that have a switch to disable it. If environmental regulations are the reason for this feature, I don't see how the manufacturers are side stepping this requirement by offering a switch to disable it. That would be like offering a switch to disable all the other emissions systems on a vehicle and they certainly aren't doing that.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal (8 miles away)
The idea that it saves a bit on petrol by turning off the engine for a few minutes on a drive, but then they provide you with the ability to run the engine for 15-20 minutes without any one in the car (remote vehicle starting) seems a lot like having a 10 minute snooze function on a smoke detector. I suppose (if in the regulations) that pollution in only created if there is someone in the vehicle when the engine is running.

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
I imagine so, but probably only long enough to last until the 4 yr/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty expires.
I would expect the expected lifespan to be at least whatever the extended warranty the dealer will sell suckers offers. (6/70?)

Some quick googling suggests that GM are using a dual solenoid starter. It has seperate controls for engaging the pinion to the flywheel and starting the starter motor spinning. In a traditional starter, the starter solenoid does two things. One is provides a mechanical push on the pinion gear to engage with the flywheel, and electrically switches the starter motor on. In a dual solenoid starter, those are independent operations. The pinion is engaged before the motor stops spinning, so that if auto-stop is cancelled before the engine stops rotating it can be started immediately. I'm not worried about the lifespan of the starter; it's easy to make electric motors that last the required number of cycles.

Were I to worry about something, I would worry about the electronics that are used to manage voltage drop when the starter motor is engaged (so the lights stay on, the radio doesn't turn off, etc).

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
If they use a brushless starter motor that will definitely increase the life of it. Worn brushes are the main cause of a starter failing or a bad solenoid.

I always get the dealer to pay for my extended warranty, otherwise no sale and they usually comply. Mine is 7yrs/100,000 miles and it will cover my car until it's paid off.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
If they use a brushless starter motor that will definitely increase the life of it. Worn brushes are the main cause of a starter failing or a bad solenoid.

I always get the dealer to pay for my extended warranty, otherwise no sale and they usually comply. Mine is 7yrs/100,000 miles and it will cover my car until it's paid off.
Good idea on having the dealer pick that up. Wonder what their cost is on that.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I never heard a $$$ figure but I'm sure they mark up an extended warranty 100% or more. The profit they make on those paint & interior protection packages is ridiculous, that's why they push them so hard when you buy a new car.

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
My take on it: The functionality of it is mostly fine, except for parking as others mentioned. However, I'm skeptical of the long term effects on multiple components, and there should've been a disable button. I ended up installing the disable module as I don't think the minor gas savings are worth the risk, considering I drive a lot of miles annually and plan to keep the car for 200-300k miles. I honestly hope I'm proven wrong, though I won't be one of the folks to test it.

Last edited:

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Got a Malibu rental (1.5T) during a body repair and the Malibu had even more unoticable stop-starts. Maybe it's because of the tiny little engine? Anyway that's pretty much the only thing good on the Malibu.

the 3.6 LGX on the GS starts with a tad bit of shake, but at times the stops are literally nothing.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
With more vehicles having this feature, there are some vehicles that have a switch to disable it. If environmental regulations are the reason for this feature, I don't see how the manufacturers are side stepping this requirement by offering a switch to disable it.
The regulation isn't that they must have stop-start (unlike regulations for, say, HC emissions), it's just GM is trying to meet overall fuel economy standards, and stop-start is one way to get there. They could easily choose not to have stop-start and forego whatever gains it would have had. But they couldn't choose to not meet HC standards.

I believe the way the rules are written, the car is tested in whatever the default mode is. So for cars that allow you to disable stop-start, it has to default back to "on" on every start, else the fleet would get tested using the worst-case scenario.

As to why the override isn't on the Regal, I'm guessing GM's marketing folks didn't think enough people would care, and this forum notwithstanding, they're probably right.

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
Got a Malibu rental (1.5T) during a body repair and the Malibu had even more unoticable stop-starts. Maybe it's because of the tiny little engine? Anyway that's pretty much the only thing good on the Malibu.

the 3.6 LGX on the GS starts with a tad bit of shake, but at times the stops are literally nothing.
I had an acadia as a rental, and the engine starting was very noticable. slow, noise, vibration. It did have a little better restarting when releasing the brake pedal, but it was not nice. I barely notice it my tourx.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.