• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Low fuel economy

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I’ve noticed in my 16 regal gs AWD that I’m only getting 17mpg on average. I switched to running only 93, put a new air filter in, replaced and aligned all 4 tires as well. I plan on changing the spark plugs next weekend but I’m not sure why else my MPG is suffering. Any ideas? I have about 36,000 miles on it so far.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You dont need new plugs at 36K miles.
How long have you had the vehicle?
Have you tried resetting the mpg to zero and gone on a highway cruise at about 65 mph for at least a 1/2 hour to get a new mpg figure?

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I agree. Hit the reset on your trip settings and drive in the city and out on the highway and check your reading. Also do a manual check when you fill your tank.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I did reset it which is where my concern came from. My typical daily drive is 14 miles round trip, mainly going 30mph and then a little highway. I reset and then checked it two weeks later and it’s hovering at 17. I will do a manual calculation at my next fill up. I’ve only owned the car since January. I like to replace as much as I can right after I buy a used car. I saw in the manual it says to replace the plugs around 60k miles if driven severely so I figure I’d just do it now since it’s cheap enough to try.

seafarer61

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
That's a bit below what would be considered normal mpg for the GS under your driving conditions. Mine is quite similar and I average 20.2 mpg with 93 octane.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I agree with Mel, you need to drive it for a couple hundred miles to get a better idea of what the gas mileage really is. My Regal is all wheel and I have a performance tune, plus I don't drive conservatively and I get 19 mpg on average. I don't do much highway driving and I usually drive between 40-55 mph on surface streets.

rodslinger

Atlanta, GA
Buick Ownership
14 Regal GS
I’ve noticed in my 16 regal gs AWD that I’m only getting 17mpg on average. I switched to running only 93, put a new air filter in, replaced and aligned all 4 tires as well. I plan on changing the spark plugs next weekend but I’m not sure why else my MPG is suffering. Any ideas? I have about 36,000 miles on it so far.
I would guess this isn't too far from normal depending on use. I've seen as low as 15mpg hand calculated in winter making a lot of short city trips and using remote start. I'll get closer to 21 mpg city in the spring and fall when not using remote start and running errands outside of peak traffic times.

napacruzergs

Napa, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
Recent long trip Long Beach to Napa, CA with average speed of 67.5 mph returned 25.6 mpg including the climb up the Grapevine. Around town (Napa) with average speed below 30 mph reflecting a lot of stop and go, I'm happy to average 19-20 mpg.

BigEgo

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal
Had this issue when I first got my car. I am non-GS though. I believe that the oil change/filter really helped my MPG, and the fact that this used car was sitting on the lot for a while so I'm sure it had to break in. I also got new tires, no alignment. As stated above, after breaking the car into the highway is when I noticed that the gas mileage picked up to the standards. I city drove the first 2 weeks and was very unhappy with the MPG and even made a post about it.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Why are you yelling? Anyways, it may just be my route to work is not MPG friendly, not that I can really complain though I love this car!

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo M6
Not all premium gases are the same. Are you using a top tier fuel? If not, I would switch to one. Examples are BP, Shell, Chevron, etc. My buddy had hesitation with his Viper and was using some off-brand premium gas. He switched to BP and the car ran a lot better. I am getting over 30 MPG with my Regal with mixed 50/50 driving.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Typically fill up at either Costco or GetGo (local chain in Pittsburgh/Ohio) I could try some other stations I suppose..... wasn’t aware there was a difference. I’ve been getting 93 at these stations every time.