• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Low Oil

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
I have driven my 2013 encore with 104,000 miles on it alot recently. I went on some very long trips the past couple weeks. I normally check the oil every couple of months, but just didn't lately.

It tends to use some oil in between oil changes, but I guess it uses more than I thought. I don't see it leaking anywhere except around the valve cover slightly, but nothing is oily anywhere.

I checked it yesterday and it would not read on the dipstick, but I checked it after I had it running. I thought maybe it was just not reading correctly and I added a quart.

I checked it today when it was cold and still not reading on the dipstick. I added a quart.
I could see a tiny drop at the bottom of the dipstick.

I added another quart. It reads full now.

So it was 3 quarts low. No oil lights no noises ran fine.

What an incredible engine to run like it did with 3 quarts low. It only holds like just over 4 quarts.

Not sure where it's going though. I do notice a little smoke coming out of the back sometimes when at stoplights.
I don't see it at all with the car idling in the driveway.

I had it changed around 4000 miles ago. So it's using a quart every 1300 miles or so.

That seems excessive or maybe not?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Other posts on subject

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Thanks I will check this tomorrow and see if the little orange thingy is in there.

I have no check engine light coming on though.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Unfortunately if the low oil light comes on it's probably to late. Oil consumption won't trip off the CEL until something in the system goes out of spec because of it.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Good information about the oil light and the CEL not coming on when it's low on oil. I have seen the oil light come on in other cars I have owned. Usually indicating a bad/failing oil pump or a serious leak somewhere. It will usually pulse or blink on and off before it gets catastrophic.

I don't know if this engine has an actual low oil light. I suspect is does not because I would have surely seen it. Usually that light means the oil pressure is low, but some cars do have a sensor in the oil pan for a low oil light.

I did not see the light at all so I am not worried. I am just very surprised I did not see the light with the car being so low on oil, and the engine was not damaged running with maybe 1.5 quarts of oil in the system.

I do wonder if the pcv is not working correctly maybe this allows the engine to keep the oil pressure much higher and run with less oil. I dunno...

I do need to change this. I see silicone around the valve cover gasket so I have not bothered with it since I thought it was changed out before. I guess they can and do go bad again.

I can see signs of oil trying to squeeze out of the valve cover gasket since I am guessing the pcv is not working properly and there is alot of pressure in there. I can wipe the side of it and see oil, but it is not leaking out dripping anywhere yet.

It is just the valve cover and gasket that I need to change correct?

The pcv is there inside the little round circle in the top right corner?

s-l300.jpg

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Ok I am not real sure where I am supposed to look. But reading another thread on cruzetalk it says to pull the hose off in the picture here

16935831_935542753204_1339232784_o.jpg

If that is the correct hose it is very hard to look inside so I had to use my phone.

I don't see any orange nib or anything in there.

20220111_175002.jpg

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Ok I am pretty sure that is the correct hole to look into but I don't understand how you guys are looking at it. I can't get my head back there to look down in that hole. I had to use the phone.

The flexible tube that goes into the intake broke in half when I touched it which I am reading is common.

I found this thread previously several months ago, but had trouble finding it again so I will post it here. This thread explains this problem in great detail. PCV THREAD

Also I ordered the kit this guy sells. I got the 3.4 Version which is sold here; KIT

Since the intake hose I broke is like 85$ at autozone and this kit claims to replace that hose. Hopefully it will fix my pcv problem too without requiring me to remove the intake.

I don't think I need the valve cover, but it is on the way so I will have it hopefully I will end up returning that.

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
I was getting the car ready for the PCV kit I ordered, and I removed the Ignition coil to find the spark plug wells full of oil. The ignition coil was oily too but it did not get up inside far enough to mess it up. Someone has changed the valve cover before. It had globs of silicone in various spots which I had to scrape off.

sparkplug.jpg

Cleaned up. I had to remove/reinstall the spark plugs 3 times, and use paper towels down inside of it. It is going to be fun when I start it there is alot of oil in the cylinders.

sparkplug3.jpg

Since I had this I went ahead and put it on. New Valve Cover On.

valvecover.jpg

I am debating if I should put new spark plugs in it or not. I just changed them last year. They cleaned up fine. I guess I will see how it runs after I get the kit installed and go from there.

Smoothsailer717

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
You're doing All the right things, From my reading I understand there is a spot on the valve cover that you have To add silicone For it to seal properly.. Else it will leak

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Yes I read that too. It is where the timing chain is at on the front(towards the radiator) and the rear(towards the firewall). It is on the far left(passenger) side between the first and second bolt in the picture above, and then again on the rear side the same bolts just in the back.

Mine had some kind of black material almost like fiber paper or something down inside the little cracks where the metal separates and I could not get it out. So they were already sealed up. I didn't have any silicone so I sprayed some flex seal on top of that and hopefully it will be ok.

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
I received the PCV kit and got it installed. I was nervous putting the little button down inside the intake, but i watched the videos several times. It was not difficult. I did go back and wipe the excess jb weld off the top there. I will wait 1-2 days for it to fully dry.

20220119_164849.jpg

20220119_164143.jpg

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
If anyone does use the PCV kit I highly recommend paying the extra $4.99 for the add install tools. It comes with the correct size screwdriver you need to reach down into the hole there. It also has a little round metal wire brush that you put on your cordless drill to clean the hole out.

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
So that hose in the picture above that I have the clamp on...

You can remove that elbow if you want to. I lost the little metal clip that holds the elbow down. It is just an open elbow. It has no kind of valve or anything on it. It is free flowing.

I just put the end of the hose there instead, and used a clamp without the elbow on there.
No problem.

The other end of that hose has a special elbow on it though. It is not a free flowing elbow. As far as I know you have to use that part. I tried putting water through it at the sink and it did not flow through it very well. It must have some kind of valve or something inside of it.

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
I also had to change out the VVT solenoids. They are on the passenger side top of the engine opposite the cams. Mine were leaking. I could have just changed out the gaskets but they were old, corroded and only $25 each.

vvt.jpg

I also had to change out the dorman water outlet 902-846. This is a T that has like 4 outlets on it for the coolant to go through. It is made out of cheap plastic. I had to remove the coolant hose, and when I did that this cheap part broke. It was not real hard to change out since I had everything off already. It does come with a new coolant sensor. You can see the little clip there in the picture at the very top ______ under the line.

wateroutlet.jpg

So I got everything back together, and it started fine. There was alot of smoke initially which turned out to be a problem because shortly after driving it I got a check engine light. The first O2 sensor must have gotten messed up from all the oil, and will have to be changed.

I will most likely have to change out the oil pan gasket which is covered in oil. It may fix itself since the pressure is now normal, but I dunno. I will pay a shop to change this. I can't get under there are remove all that plastic from the undercarriage.

I am pretty certain that most of the problems I have had with this car are related to the PCV system. The check/purge valve. They started slowly, and then got bad. Eventually I think the engine would be lost due to this issue. The engine would be very low on oil, and seize up.

1.) O2 Sensors
2.) Turbo
3.) Gaskets

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Good work! Here's a picture of the orange nib in there. Took it with an endoscope. Just to clarify things, the valve cover has no PCV, it has a PCV regulator. When it fails it often pops the nib from the intake if not repaired promptly. There are 2 PCV on this engine one while in vacuum which is the orange one in the intake and one while in boost which is mounted close to the turbo.

cHtOQfb.jpg

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Well this is still not fixed.

It is making a whistling noise coming out of the little hole on the valve cover also called the camshaft cover.

Only does this from idle 800 rpm up to about 1200 rpm then goes away. But it is quite loud.

I talked with the guy selling the pcv kits and he told me that only the gm valve cover should be used.

Dealer has one in stock for 76$.
Part number is 25203036. This is the 3rd revision by gm for this part.

Going to put this on and will report back.

Dealer also said mine was changed at 68000 miles in 2018. Car now has 105,000 miles.

Not eligible for the replacement via 19-NA-114 because the car has a previous salvage title.

Smoothsailer717

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
I thought it was the orange intake valve that failed first and then caused the regulator to blow out??

Hopefully with the 3rd revision on the valve
Cover they finally get the regulator to be fault proof.. anyone know about that?

Do other any othet cars out there have these god awful problems with the pvc valve or is gm just punishing us for buying their cheapest model?

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
This design is very well engineered just not put together right. GM sources out a lot of parts and I'm afraid that when you do so you compromise quality because these manufacturers cut corners to try and make profits larger. A lot of tolerances aren't met or the specification window is too big. For example; the plan for the turbo calls for a top hat brass bushing for the waste gate lever, my 2 turbos are steel shaft into an iron hole. If there ever was a bushing there, not anymore. After market sells a repair for this omission, not simple but doable, comes with the bushing. People want a cheap vehicle they get cheap. Only thing we can do is fix them and make them better every time we find something wacky.

To make my point, in this picture of an after market turbo you can clearly see the bushing for the waste gate lever.

2022-01-28.png

Smoothsailer717

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
Ha the problem is you can spend $60,000 with gm and still get a piece of junk… look at the afm valve problems with the v8’s they had for years and look at the complaints on these new 10 speed junk in the Silverado's. Why they ever put a 10 speed in who knows,,. The jerks who drive them go 90 mph all the time anyway.. as far as the turbo bushing, if it dont need it then thats fine with me… i would think maybe brass may have a hard time with the heat of a turbo, those suckers can get up to 1500 degrees or so cant they? Does the thing fail because its short a brass bushing? I heard the turbo is only $600 to replace so thats a cheap part. Labor is the thing that kills you now a days. Also i’ve read that people fail to keep an eye on their cars and all the oil leaks caused by this pcv fiasco can cause fires under the hood. But i agree with you the fact that gm put such a cheap valve on this thing is a cost cutter, why couldnt they just put a real valve on like in your kit?

I think its planned failure, they want these cars to fail at 100,000 miles so you buy a new one every 6-7 years… but i have to throw them a conplimwnt, i am very impressed with the encores performance, i used to hate 4 bangers because they had to downshift a lot and rev high and they were just sluggish, but the turbo in the 1.4 gives it great low torque and great mileage amd it accerates nicely above 3,000 rpm.. very nice to drive and less shifting.

Last edited:

asdx1234

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Here is a picture of the updated valve cover which is technically called a "camshaft cover".
Part number 25203036. I tried to get a closeup of the pcv. I will post a picture of the one I got from autozone tomorrow once I get it off the car.

20220128_212747.jpg

20220128_212742.jpg

20220128_212736.jpg