• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Low power steering fluid - just had pump and hoses replaced

three4rd

Buick Ownership
Buick
On my '95 a few weeks ago my fluid drained out - I was told I needed a new pump and hoses. Haven't (until just today) checked the level following the work done at the shop. The level is not even on the stick let alone close to the "full cold" mark. Is this normal? I don't recall them telling me that I should check it following the work. All I have is really old fluid from many years ago - so better to buy some new stuff to add? Obviously I need to add some but surprised to find it low. The pump was also replaced about 10 years ago.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

three4rd

Buick Ownership
Buick
ake it back to the shop so they can see it is low.
Or at least call them. I'm thinking it shouldn't be low at this point, assuming that they brought the fluid up to the proper level after putting in the new pump.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You have to always check the work a shop has done immediately after you get the car back. Calling them on the phone will not determine why the fluid level is low if it is still leaking versus their failure to fill it which is doubtful but possible.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Air may have bled out if they didnt do it. the P pump is a quite good pump and it could very well keep air in circulation especially if your cap isnt venting properly. whens the last time you checked your ps cap for a proper vent function? Snapchat-1470273097.jpg
most of these had crud in the vents

also hope it seals to the can good too. if it has ATF instead of PS fluid(Hope you used PS fluid not ATF) and a bad vent that is a good way to aerate the fluid and the ATF will keep the air in ciculation instead of PS fluid which doesnt hold air in suspension by design(at least dexron III and VI which is what you would probably use if you used ATF) but an air free system with a proper vent and a reservoir that doesnt promote caviation and the right pulley and the right flow orifice size and pressure fitting will not be problematic, to be clear. but that is a lot of things people cant necessarily guarantee these days after so many years

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
They likely put enough fluid, then the fluid level dropped when the air started to purge and replace with fluid which lowers the dipstick reading. if you see no leaks or obvious puking from the cap area or anything you are probably fine that way but I would just go buy a nice PS Fluid from your local auto store and pour in. I like valvoline PS fluid because I found it somewherr in a gallon jug (not stop leak dont put that stuff in)