• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Lower front springs, air assisted shocks?? Wagon

IanT720

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey guys, just drove home a '94 LT1 Wagon. So happy to find a clean one, and digging the car. Actually got it to replace our 06 caravan for something nicer and cooler to haul stuff to car shows, maybe a tear drop later on too. Ours did not come with the towing package so it has the extremely bouncy/floaty front springs and air leveling in the rear. The previous owner actually swapped out the leveling shocks and springs for straight bags, installed a bigger compressor and tank too. It's pretty cool to manually slam or raise the rear. However the front is obviously fixed. I was planning on swapping front springs for SS springs as I heard they are firmer and give a little drop too. I noticed the shock goes through the spring also... Would it be possible to cut a coil or two off the spring so the front has a permant drop and install air assisted shocks to jack it up a couple inches to clear driveways? I searched all over, and can only find air shocks for the rear not the front. I haven't even been able to find anyone asking about this^. I've found full bag kits but I can't shell out all that coin. So can I swap ss springs in the front, cut them down more, and if I need to raise the front install air assisted shocks??? Thanks!

Attachments

torres7

Lincoln Nebraska
Buick Ownership
Buick RMW
It's going to be hard to find air shocks for the front, and if you happen to find them it's not gonna be cheap. I don't know for sure if the ss coil springs will give you a lower front end but if they do and you want want a firmer front suspension you can look into the Gabriel load carrier front shocks, available at auto zone, they have a small spring around the them, you could pair them with the ss springs. This shocks will give you a nice firm front suspension even with the stock springs if you are doing heavier duty towing. I don't think you have the stock rims with the 225's tires but if you did you can also put a set of good 215/75 r15 tires in the front and leave the 225/75 r15 's in the rear, that will lower the front end a tinny bit. I've never cut the coil springs before so I can't give you advice on it but it might work as long as you make sure you have enough clearance between the wheels and the fenders. Let us know how it goes...

IanT720

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
It's going to be hard to find air shocks for the front, and if you happen to find them it's not gonna be cheap. I don't know for sure if the ss coil springs will give you a lower front end but if they do and you want want a firmer front suspension you can look into the Gabriel load carrier front shocks, available at auto zone, they have a small spring around the them, you could pair them with the ss springs. This shocks will give you a nice firm front suspension even with the stock springs if you are doing heavier duty towing. I don't think you have the stock rims with the 225's tires but if you did you can also put a set of good 215/75 r15 tires in the front and leave the 225/75 r15 's in the rear, that will lower the front end a tinny bit. I've never cut the coil springs before so I can't give you advice on it but it might work as long as you make sure you have enough clearance between the wheels and the fenders. Let us know how it goes...
Okay well thanks for the info, I searched hi and low and couldn't find air shocks that would work. In the end I bought the cop car springs which are about 80lbs stronger than the stockers. I also used Monroe Severe duty shocks, they are insane! I ended cutting 2 coils or 3.5 inches off the springs, it still rides like a Cadillac with no road feel but, if you jump on the front bumper it only compresses about 1.5 inches! It's solid! No rebound at all or mush. It looks sick having the tread tucked under the fender, but will not rub :D. I have 235/70/15 fron and 235/75/15 rear. The stance is killer! No cons except ground clearance. Like I said rides floaty and smooth like a caddy still!

torres7

Lincoln Nebraska
Buick Ownership
Buick RMW
That's good to hear, how much did you spend on the heavier springs? are those the ones they used in the older caprice police cars??? Nice idea by the way, it's amazing that the ride didn't turn out bumpy. You should upload a picture!!

Turbo Buick Badge