• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

LTG engine mods

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
I just watched a good video from ZZPerformance and while its aimed mostly at the Camaro, the LTG 2.0 turbo is the same. I'm sure I may be covering ground some you already have done but I thought I'd throw the list out here for your info and feedback.

Mod Zero - Premium fuel, 91 at minimum, 93 if possible for best performance./ Good synthetic oil, preferably low ash formula to help prevent carbon on cylinder walls/ Good plugs, stock AC Delco if you arent running a tune and Denso ICB24 if you do have a tune or adding one.

Mod One - Get a tune. ZZP offers several but honestly I like the Trifecta

Mod Two - Intake/ stock airbox is pretty good with an aftermarket filter but he says swapping the inlet pipe to eliminate sound baffles helps to improve flow.

Mod Three - Downpipe/ Hi-flow cat or straight, depending on your application but the catted pipe only sacrifices a couple HP and still flows far better than stock.

Mod Four - Charge pipe and larger Throttle body

Mod Five - Larger intercooler

I feel like just the first three will deliver all the extra go-go I'd possibly want with a K&N drop-in. I've done basically the same with my 2.0T Escape save for the tune and downpipe. I could never find a DP to fit but the air filter, plugs and Magnaflow exhaust still made a noticeable difference on 93 fuel.

I think about how much I enjoyed my short test drive and the concept of upping the ante like this is truly exciting. That Turbo Buick decal will get proudly displayed! :cool:

ready2fly

Tampa, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
I have K&N filter, not much of a performance boost, but it lasts forever with their 50,000 mile claim. Dealer checks it when I get my oil changed and says it is still clean after 30k miles.

I tried Mobil 0W-30 and Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 and Shell Truck 5W-30, all decreased performance/acceleration/fuel economy badly. So far dealer 5W-30 Dexos full synthetic works best. I also tried cheap Jiffy Lube 5W-30 full synthetic, also worked great.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I have K&N filter, not much of a performance boost, but it lasts forever with their 50,000 mile claim. Dealer checks it when I get my oil changed and says it is still clean after 30k miles.
Every now and then I think about trying a K&N filter but always get scared off about the tests that show they don't filter well. Then I read that after 30k it still looks clean and you really have to wonder if it does much filtering at all. I guess that seals it for me, unless you drive your car in a clean room there is no way a filter can still be clean after 30k if it is doing its job.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
I think the concept of it “looking clean” is deceptive due to the red color. When I wash mine (yes, wash, not just blow it off) the stuff running off looks plenty dirty. Cleaning and re-oiling are part of the procedure. Yes, letting it dry after washing and before re-oiling is time consuming and some folks get carried away with the spray oil that results in screwing up MAF sensors. So proper use and maint is key just like so many other things. Yes I believe they are superior to paper filters when used properly. If haste is big thing, have 2nd one ready to install so the other can be cleaned by procedure.
I would also be curious about a test saying it doesn’t filter and wondering they’re running g it dry? The woven gauze construction would still filter but obviously not as restrictive as the folded paper.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
OE paper air filters and stock airboxes provide plenty of air even for modified cars.

The maintenance schedule in the user manual states 45,000 miles for the air filter. I don’t drive in harsh conditions so I’d probably change at 40k. Did this on my TDI for 300k miles. Also, I never open the airbox unless changing the filter as that seal can get deformed and never seal up again 100%.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
This seems to be a pretty comprehensive test of several different filters.

This is a complete test and it clearly shows the AC Delco traps the most particles and also is the most restrictive to air flow. While I looked at tests and ratings on websites like thedrive.com, motorauthority.com, mechanicsbase.com and several others, they all rate the K&N at the top or top three for performance. I stand by the proper use of this filter and I have run them on several vehicles for literally hundreds of thousands of miles without ill effect. If for no other reason, I prefer the K&N for its ability to be washed, re-oiled and re-used for far greater period than any other filter. Virtually every other filter in the comparison tests recommends replacement at 12k miles. The cost of two, maybe three of these filters equals the cost of the K&N which has the dramatically longer lifespan. I would buy it for that reason alone.
I know many who aren't performance buffs pan the advantage of such a mod in the same way many would say replacing the intake tube to eliminate the baffles is a useless waste. When it comes to auto performance, gains are typically made thru a variety of small changes that mount to deliver improved power and torque. There are very few single, "big bang" mods out there. Even a tune is collection of adjustments that culminate in improved performance. The little things matter.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
This is a complete test and it clearly shows the AC Delco traps the most particles and also is the most restrictive to air flow. While I looked at tests and ratings on websites like thedrive.com, motorauthority.com, mechanicsbase.com and several others, they all rate the K&N at the top or top three for performance. I stand by the proper use of this filter and I have run them on several vehicles for literally hundreds of thousands of miles without ill effect. If for no other reason, I prefer the K&N for its ability to be washed, re-oiled and re-used for far greater period than any other filter. Virtually every other filter in the comparison tests recommends replacement at 12k miles. The cost of two, maybe three of these filters equals the cost of the K&N which has the dramatically longer lifespan. I would buy it for that reason alone.
I know many who aren't performance buffs pan the advantage of such a mod in the same way many would say replacing the intake tube to eliminate the baffles is a useless waste. When it comes to auto performance, gains are typically made thru a variety of small changes that mount to deliver improved power and torque. There are very few single, "big bang" mods out there. Even a tune is collection of adjustments that culminate in improved performance. The little things matter.
To each their own.

I had a 2004 F150 Heritage (4.6 V8) that I fitted a cat back dual exhaust system to and it was a Dynomax system. I had done internet searching and found that the Dynomax single inlet dual outlet system had the least back pressure of the major brands. The irony was that it was likely also one of the quietest which would make many truck guys think I had missed the point of dual exhaust in the first place. :ROFLMAO:

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping

I tried Mobil 0W-30 and Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 and Shell Truck 5W-30, all decreased performance/acceleration/fuel economy badly. So far dealer 5W-30 Dexos full synthetic works best. I also tried cheap Jiffy Lube 5W-30 full synthetic, also worked great.
I tend to stay away from the "0W-XX" oils that are aimed mostly at lowering resistance so the automaker could eek out another .5mpg on the CAFE test. Granted, after reading several articles about so many tiny passages that oil needs to reach (like VVT) so I do stick with 5W-20 or 30 (both cars actually call for it so thats good) LOL I also like Castrol Syntec full synthetic.

Corvairrob

Buick Ownership
08 Enclave CXL, and just bought an 18’ TourX Essence
Does anyone even make the air box or charge tube or downpipe for the Regal/TourX? Or is it some kind of generic kit that needs to be fitted?

Corvairrob

Buick Ownership
08 Enclave CXL, and just bought an 18’ TourX Essence
Just wondering as I haven’t really been able to find much.

ready2fly

Tampa, Florida
Buick Ownership
I tend to stay away from the "0W-XX" oils that are aimed mostly at lowering resistance so the automaker could eek out another .5mpg on the CAFE test. Granted, after reading several articles about so many tiny passages that oil needs to reach (like VVT) so I do stick with 5W-20 or 30 (both cars actually call for it so thats good) LOL I also like Castrol Syntec full synthetic.
Our manual specifies 0W-30 as permitted to be used in our engines. I don't remember all of the details, but it can be used. I wonder how high end oils would perform in our car, such as Royal Purple 5W-30 and Motul 5W-30.

ready2fly

Tampa, Florida
Buick Ownership
Every now and then I think about trying a K&N filter but always get scared off about the tests that show they don't filter well. Then I read that after 30k it still looks clean and you really have to wonder if it does much filtering at all. I guess that seals it for me, unless you drive your car in a clean room there is no way a filter can still be clean after 30k if it is doing its job.
Considering filter media for K&N is around 400% larger vs ACDelco tiny filter squished in the sea of plastic, I am not surprised it takes much longer to get them dirty. I had a cheap Upgr8 $9.99 dry high flow filter in my previous car, no issues and it lasted forever.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
Does anyone even make the air box or charge tube or downpipe for the Regal/TourX? Or is it some kind of generic kit that needs to be fitted?
ZZPerformance offers a silicone intake tube and a few other mods but when in doubt, just look up items for the Malibu 2.0T of the same year. I know with my convertible I ran into lots of similar issues not being able to find parts for a Chrysler 200 but much less problem finding mostly the same parts for the Dodge Avenger. If I can just get the intake tube and downpipe I'll be set I think.

@gmguy83 installed the 16+ Malibu "ZZP O2 housing" on his AWD 18 Regal. ZZP doesn't call it a down pipe since it bolts from the turbo to the lower pipe but it has the factory O2 locations and the hi-flow cat.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Are you sure? Their site does say it fits the Malibu 2 bolt but specifically states not 18 and up Regals.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
Page 6 of this thread by gmguy83 says yes...

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I wonder why they specifically call out the Regal as a no go then. But it makes sense if it fits the 2 bolt flange on the Malibu that it would fit the two bolt flange on the Regal.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
So I reached out to ZZP and they said there are so few people modding Regals they have not been able to confirm a fit. So that is why the site excludes our car. But with that said they confirmed their return policy is 30 days so long as no exhaust gas has run through it. So if anyone is on the fence and wants to be an official guinea pig, you can give it a go and not be out much more than shipping and time.

I may look to do this in a few months.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
My experience with ZZP is that if they never had it in the shop to confirm fitment it's a guess and that's not saying it won't work but a cautious approach to the end user.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
I agree the cautious approach is a good one but all dealings I've had with ZZP (2 Grand Prixs & Bonneville) they were very good to work with as far as service, support and returns.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!