• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Lucerne heat/air conditioning issues

txbarney

Central Texas
Buick Ownership
Buick
Purchased a 2007 Lucerne in Feb this years so the air conditioning was not an issue until spring.
Sometimes it seemed to work fine, sometimes the dash center vent would blow cold on the driver and hot on the passanger with both controls at the same setting.
Last month I had a auto service shop diagnose the problem.
They said the compressor was weak causing the problem..... I questioned the hot/cold condition at the vent and they said there were no HVAC codes set so everything was ok.

When changing the compressor, they said the accumulator/dryer needed to be changed, I agree, but it is part of the condenser so both get changed. They also wanted to change the expansion valve but that is inside the car and the labor was 8 hours to open the dash and change that. I rolled the dice and opted not to change the expansion valve but the compressor, condenser, labor, etc cost $1600..... they wanted another $1000 to do the expansion valve.

It worked fine the couple of times I drove it to down, last week I did a 45 mile drive...everything was good. Get into the hot car to return home and it will not blow cooler than 60 degrees. It is acting just like it did before the work was done. The shop has agreed to look at it again (they gave a 2 year warranty) but I suspect they will find something else and want more $$$

Several questions..........
Does the dash need to come apart to change the expansion valve? If it does what GM engineer should rot in Hell changing them?
Will the car set codes if any of the HVAC servos are not working properly?
What other things could be wrong causing the problem?
I have searched the internet for answers.
Appreciate your input

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
I hate to say this, but I think you got taken. If the compressor was dead or dying, the system would not blow cold air out at all, not just on the driver side and hot on the passenger. We had a Buick LeSabre, and it was doing the same thing. Cold on the driver, and hot on the passenger. It was a relatively simple fix...the blend actuator was dead. It was located under the dash in the passenger footwell. Relatively accessible. I am confident the Lucerne is similarly configured as the LeSabre for Air Conditioning. When I had my problem, there were no codes, so I don't think the Lucerne would set a code either.

CarbonBlackCXS

+1. I would have to agree. There's only one evaporator so only one source of chilled air. The cabin temperature on each side are regulated by blending doors, not dual evaporators.

txbarney

Central Texas
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for your thoughts..... I have worked on my own cars since I lived at home with my parents and could not afford to take it to a mechanic. At 76 I still change my own oil and do all maintenance on the 7 vehicles (5 Buicks) I own mainly because of the horror stories I hear from others that use quick lubes, repair shops, and even factory dealers.

A good example...a Buick Club of America member and owner of a restoration shop in north Texas brought 3 Buicks to the Buick national meet in Springfield. Running out of time to get them ready to drive, he had the oil changed in one of the 1948 Buicks at a quick change place.. His crew stopped in Oklahoma for gas and noticed oil under the car. The oil change place had NOT stripped the drain plug threads, they cracked the pan tightening the plug.

Do any of you know of a site that I can see a schematic to locate the blend door? Are there 2 doors on these cars that allow the driver and passanger to select their own temp?

CarbonBlackCXS

I'm in my 60s and while I used to change my own oil I now used a trusted garage so hats of to you sir. As for your question sorry I can't help you with where to look but I'm sure someone will be able to give you some assistance.

But I have to ask are you a car collector? What cars do you own?

txbarney

Central Texas
Buick Ownership
Buick
I thought everyone here was a car collector.......
My major downfall was Corvairs, owned over 35, still have a 1965 Corsa Convertible (140/4)
I am Buick Club of America technical advisor for Reattas and own a 1991 conv and a 1991 coupe (have had 7 others)
I have a 1939 Buick Century sports coupe, the 2007 Lucerne V8, a 2011 Enclave, and a 2011 GMC pick/up.

I put together an article for the BCA monthly Bugle in April call the Stealth Buicks.......trying to call to the attention of old iron Buick owners that there are some late model performance Buicks that were built after the GN's. I hope to follow up with individual summary on each car in future months. I purchased the V8 Lucerne as it is one of those cars. I really want to find a late Rainier 2 wheel drive with the 5.3 V8.

While Buick built quite a few cars (Regals, Ultras, and Rivieras) with the 3800 supercharged engine and all the last series of Roadmasters had LT1 engines....the others were all pretty low production.
Examples...08-09 Lacrosse Super with 5.3 V8, total production was about 2200 cars. Even the Lucerne V8 was low production after the first year, 2008 = 850, 2009 = 719, 2010 = 417, 2011 = 325
The Rainier is harder to pinpoint, all the available production information is given in percent of total build and that covers both 2 & 4 wheel drive. The Rainier was only built from 2004 to 2007.
In 2006 15.2% of the 14118 total (both 2 & 4 wheel drive) had V8's which is roughly 2150. 2007 only 5401 Rainiers were made and only 12.6% had V8's or about 680 vehicles.
PS The Rainier shared bodies with Trail Blazer, and GMC, Saturn and even SAAB. There was a long and short wheelbase version but Buick only used the short wheelbase and was the only brand to offer the V8 in the short wheelbase.......except when Chevy made the SS version of the Trail Blazer..... would that make a V8 Rainier a SS?

CarbonBlackCXS

Sounds like an interesting collection you've had over the years. The 39 I had to look up. No I'm not a collector as I've never had the space. But if I did have the space for even one car I think it would be filled with '67 Riviera.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
I will be changing my own oil (and most everything else) until they put me in a box. Here is a thread that might get you started. It is for a LeSabre but the Lucerne is basically the same. Perhaps if you do some searches here you might fine something similar for the Lucerne. http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/17002-Blend-Door-Actuators-2000-LeSabre

Here is another.
http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/21978-A-C-Problems-need-more-info-on-blend-door-actuators

polarzak

Buick Ownership
I knew it wouldn't work but I tried to upload a section of my 06 manual. File is too big.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Warm air coming out heater, I'm not sure if it's a statement or question, as warm air is supposed to come out with the heater.

Pedal Commander