• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Lug lug

WeLikeIt

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX, 2003 Century, 1989 Regal
Can anything be done to tell the transmission to hold higher rpms? Obviously I can manually shift it... but I cant convince my wife to do so. Running around town trying to gradually accelerate at 1200rpm... I can hear the lugging. And these are rather slow to down shift when you try to push the pedal down to make it shift. Can anything be done, within the warranty, to adjust the shift points a bit?

landsharkmz3

Using a higher gear to lug the engine is how they achieve the fuel economy ratings. The options would be manual shifting or having the transmission re-calibrated in the aftermarket.

WeLikeIt

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
Using a higher gear to lug the engine is how they achieve the fuel economy ratings. The options would be manual shifting or having the transmission re-calibrated in the aftermarket.
In my limited experience, most 4 cylinders actually return better mileage numbers when they can run at or over 2000rpm. I've even experimented with the tourx, and when I manually shift it, I can gain almost 2mpg by using cruise control and holding the rpms over 2k. So... gm goofed.

landsharkmz3

In my limited experience, most 4 cylinders actually return better mileage numbers when they can run at or over 2000rpm. I've even experimented with the tourx, and when I manually shift it, I can gain almost 2mpg by using cruise control and holding the rpms over 2k. So... gm goofed.
It would be interesting to see more definitive information on this. I tend to think of it in terms of BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption). If we treat the engine as a naturally aspirated for a second (below the turbo), you want to have the throttle open and reduce pumping losses. One descriptive way of putting it would be to operate the engine hard, but at a weaker point in its torque curve. That generally is the efficient way to do it. The opposite situation illustrates the point, and that example would be driving around at 55mph in 2nd gear. You would burn more fuel than 6th gear.

The LTG spools about 2k. As the turbo spools, it will give improved cylinder filling at partial throttle (help reduce pumping losses). This should somewhat offset the situation described above.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I still think the car adapts if driven hard often, to a more sporty shift mode.
As a guy who likes to feel the twin clutch AWD working in certain parts of his morning commute (and having 5000 miles on the car) I'm starting to believe that too. The more I drive aggressively the harder it seems to be to catch the transmission napping.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I agree too.. But OP seems to also be also concerned with mpg and therefore will not drive car hard/long enough (not that there is anything wrong with that) to see a change in tranny response towards downshifting.

Just curious...
@WeLikeIt are you running regular or premium?
@PrincipalDan what are you running?

My TourX has certain mannerisms when running 87.

I know, I know.... I'm not trying to turn this thread into a dreaded octane discussion!!

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I agree too.. But OP seems to also be also concerned with mpg and therefore will not drive car hard/long enough (not that there is anything wrong with that) to see a change in tranny response towards downshifting.

Just curious...
@WeLikeIt are you running regular or premium?
@PrincipalDan what are you running?

My TourX has certain mannerisms when running 87.

I know, I know.... I'm not trying to turn this thread into a dreaded octane discussion!!
I live in the mountain west at roughly 7000 ft in altitude so the highest octane gas I can get is 91 octane. https://www.sidehustlenation.com/high-altitude-low-octane/

My TourX has 5000 miles on it but roughly 3000 of those were from a family vacation taken right after purchase. On that trip when I could get it I bought 93 octane.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The best thing to do is tune the car. The transmission will shift better AND the motor will make more power. To me it's a win/win situation.

WeLikeIt

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
Hmm, interesting responses. The "get used to to it" sounds like a gm employee... lol.

I drive this car when I can, as I'm an otr truck driver. But I drive our tourx 2 ways.

Jeckyl and Hyde if you will.

One for fun, as I love standing on it to blow away unsuspecting folks who think their poop don't stink. I love taking the on and off ramps, and cloverleafs, while accelerating, instead of slowing for the curve. I don't mind quick lane changes or parking lot dashes around the light poles or islands either.

But the majority of the time I drive for mileage. 72 or 73 in a 70 is fast enough, and I love to watch that recent 50 mile average hover closer to 40.

My wife drives it the rest of the time, and she's even noticed it lugging at about 1200rpm, while driving around town anywhere from 30 to 50mph. And to quote another, the transmission feels like it's taking a nap. Today I was actually in the passenger seat when she tried to pass a tourist driver, and she banged it over to manual and dropped 3 gears to get it moving. It obliged just fine, but her response was.. I shouldn't have to do that, why wouldn't it downshift by itself?

So if it "learns" your driving... shouldn't it learn that sometimes it needs to drop a few gears in a hurry and remember how to haul a$$? I'm not expecting a race car... but it's not a semi either :)

As to fuel, we run 93 alcohol free almost every fill up, and occasionally get the cheap stuff 87. Honestly I cant tell any difference on the highway with pickup or mileage, but stomping on it around town, I think (might be psychological) it feels more peppy on the premium.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Hmm, interesting responses. The "get used to to it" sounds like a gm employee... lol.

I drive this car when I can, as I'm an otr truck driver. But I drive our tourx 2 ways.

Jeckyl and Hyde if you will.

One for fun, as I love standing on it to blow away unsuspecting folks who think their poop don't stink. I love taking the on and off ramps, and cloverleafs, while accelerating, instead of slowing for the curve. I don't mind quick lane changes or parking lot dashes around the light poles or islands either.

But the majority of the time I drive for mileage. 72 or 73 in a 70 is fast enough, and I love to watch that recent 50 mile average hover closer to 40.

My wife drives it the rest of the time, and she's even noticed it lugging at about 1200rpm, while driving around town anywhere from 30 to 50mph. And to quote another, the transmission feels like it's taking a nap. Today I was actually in the passenger seat when she tried to pass a tourist driver, and she banged it over to manual and dropped 3 gears to get it moving. It obliged just fine, but her response was.. I shouldn't have to do that, why wouldn't it downshift by itself?

So if it "learns" your driving... shouldn't it learn that sometimes it needs to drop a few gears in a hurry and remember how to haul a$$? I'm not expecting a race car... but it's not a semi either :)

As to fuel, we run 93 alcohol free almost every fill up, and occasionally get the cheap stuff 87. Honestly I cant tell any difference on the highway with pickup or mileage, but stomping on it around town, I think (might be psychological) it feels more peppy on the premium.
See on my commute there's a section where I can snake my way up a pair of curves (posted 20 I go 35 with the AWD pushing me through) slow down and make a hard right onto a side street. (All this if it's before 7:30 am and the streets are kinda dead.)

After enough mornings of making that hard right, hit the pedal, wait for the downshift, let the turbo spool up and away we go... It has finally started to obey my commands. Quicker downshift and it wants to scamper away.

YMMV.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon

Does she know about the kick down system of the accelerator pedal?

Pedal Commander