major problem at 12K miles

donniejt

Buick Ownership
Buick
Under warranty (thanks goodness) the pistons and rings need to be replaced. This is a 2017 Encore premium. Car was serviced at proper intervals.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
That's depressing. A new car nowadays should be trouble and worry-free for at least 4 or 5 years or 100,000 miles.

oregon_rider

Buick Ownership
Encore
It would be helpful to know which engine option is installed in your vehicle.

I am guessing it is the direct injected motor...

Jeff

donniejt

Buick Ownership
Buick
There are 2 different engines available. Both are ecotec 1.4.

One has engine code LUV and is the standard engine. It is port injected.

The optional engine, upgrade with more hp and torque, is a direct injected engine. This is the LE2 engine. See here for details :

GM 1.4-Liter Turbo I4 Ecotec LE2 Engine

jeff
Under warranty (thanks goodness) the pistons and rings need to be replaced. This is a 2017 Encore premium. Car was serviced at proper intervals.
I just received the car from the dealer. The replaced all four pistons and rings.

oregon_rider

Buick Ownership
Encore
Hi Donnie,
Your engine damage likely came from LSPI.

The newer engines with direct injection are more prone to low speed pre ignition (LSPI) - but it impacts all small displacement turbo-charged motors. The oil used can contribute to the problem - and fuel. If it were me, I would use mid-grade fuel or premium in this engine. The engine was designed by opel in europe and the fuel grade they recommend for it there is higher octane than u.s. spec unleaded regular fuel.

A little reading on LSPI :

Resolving Low-Speed Pre-Ignition | MOTOR

"LSPI arises from interactions between lubricants, fuels and engine design/operation. Resolving LSPI will likely require a holistic approach that addresses all three areas. "

Mine is the older port injected motor - and I am running a very high quality full synthetic oil - pennzoil platinum 5w30 - it is refined from natural gas - I am changing it every 5k miles. You should use only dexos1 gen2 oil and avoid oil changes at any quickie lube place to ensure the right oil is used. And we only use premium fuel - mostly chevron - it runs better and gets better fuel mileage - particularly in warmer weather.

jeff

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.