Man, someone must still race their Buick at the track??? GNs not included :P

BC in QC

Buick Newbie
Queen Creek, AZ
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Man, just as soon as I get mine road worthy it's going up to Wild Horse for a pass or two, just because why not. Nobody else plays at the track any more, saving it for rush hour I guess?

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Once a year, I go to Cecil County Dragway with my local Buick car club. It's a 340 mile round trip for me. All day test n tune on a Friday. I usually put about 6 passes on the car. I bought my GS in 1999, and started in the mid 13's at 101 MPH. All iron motor with a mild cam and headers. Upgraded to aluminum heads and got into the mid 12's at 108 MPH. Built another engine with those same aluminum heads, and a small roller cam. Currently in the mid 11's. It will run 11.60- 11.80's with the Quadrajet, and 11.50's with a 1000 CFM Holley 4150. It has run in the 11's for 4 years now, and you can drive it anywhere. Has an Overdrive. Gets as much as 16 MPG on the open road, and runs cool in the worst condition. Has A/C also. A true street car. All my runs took place in not the best air. Density altitudes in the 1000-2000' range. Need to run it in some good air one day. I know it has some 11.30-11.40's in it. Last year, it ran an 11.69 @ 116.06 at a density altitude of 2057'. That corrected to 11.41 @ 118.95 MPH at sea level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Member here Walt G has posted a few of his track runs recently.

http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/37221-Track-day!

I'm sure he's not alone. My suspicion is some members don't post their track participation for personal reasons. There's also probably only a handful who even know this section of the forum exists.

As for me - I save my fleeting moments of turbo bliss for select seconds during rush hour.

Dirtybob

Buick Ownership
95 RMS
I have been (1/4 mile) bracket racing my '95 Roadmaster nearly every weekend last season. It's been a while since I raced so have mostly been running it in friday night trophy races for practice. Best result to date was runner up at the BOP (Buick Olds Pontiac) nationals.
Car is stock except for having 3.42s with a Yukon posi, a mystery 12" converter that flashes to about 2400 rpm on the logger, 245/60-15 tires all around (rollout), 3" pvc intake and some tweaks to the tune. I also deleted the abs, a/c, and the air pump. Bought some G60-15 slicks for the times (not very often) when they slack on track prep and I get wheelspin.
Best ET to date was 14.94 at around 90.5 mph with a D.A. around 1800' (4450# with driver), far from the fastest thing at the track.....
Plans for this winter are to swap in some fresh valve springs, 1.6 rockers, and add an H pipe to the exhaust. Went over my budget when I decided to blow the rear planetary back in august...
Looking forward to running it in street class next year (13.50 and slower) so I'm not being chased by cars/bikes that are 6+ sec/60+ mph faster and having to guess if I am on a breakout run or not, easier for me to tell if they aren't flying past me like I'm sitting still. I prefer to dial tight but sometimes the car doesn't cooperate so I use the brakes.

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Plenty fast enough for the street certainly. Don't even drive that fast myself anymore on the roadways. Will have to say my most memorable times were when I came up with the brilliant strategy to use NOS. Nitrous Oxide is probably the quickest way to trash an engine. Car would tach up so fast couldn't keep up with the shifts. Would hit 8 thousand RPM instantly (not good) and of coarse anything less than wide open throttle, well something's going to give. All that's being done is doubling the oxygen content to the cylinders while the nitrogen burns off at around 500 degrees.

Yup, it's laughing gas. Legal to buy if you can find a place to purchase (in ME now, hmm?). A sulphur content gas is also added to prevent inhaling as it will make one deathly sick. And mine was only a 50HP boost, can't imagine what a 100 or 150HP boost would be to deal with lol.

Last edited:

Dirtybob

Buick Ownership
95 RMS
I like N2O but hate empty bottle$
A 150 shot should be worth about 2 seconds on my sled.
Swapping the motor/trans/rear from my Roady into a 1st gen S10 would probably give me 2 seconds from the weight reduction alone...

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
It was instant boost for sure. I had a big bottle, the size of a single aqualung tank. Would reach 1000PSI when heated in the sun (those fast backs). One time I was going for a romp and had to let off the gas pedal, had a manifold blow back and split my intercooler in half (turbocharger).

Well I never...... Designed a pressure relief valve for the next one. Made using a heavy spring (with attachments), 11/4" electrical plug w/O-ring and using a hole saw, drilled intercooler outlet (solid, flat section). By adjusting threaded rod spring tension could actually control boost like a wastegate. The good ole days. See if I can locate photo what it looked like before to get idea, radiator thing on top of motor (went through hood, I had reverse flow hood scoop). image.jpeg Of coarse my motor wasn't the red two tone and I had an Accel ignition and Edlebrock water injection. Also had the 2 NOS nozzles drill and tapped in intercooler manifold, one was NOS and other was extra fuel. Had to run engine cooler to prevent pre-detonation from compression (reason for fuel nozzle). No AC either (or cool can to fuel rail). The ideas, theory and time had come ('84) and gone quickly. And yes, V8 power with 4 cylinder parts (didn't hold up), what a roller coaster ride. Sub 13's quarter miles and I've read others were going even faster with those ('84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z). Wait, here's similiar 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 1/4 Mile Drag Racing.

Do l have to prove it all? Doubt it after 34 years, have to take my word lol. Oh, also emergency brake was perfect line locks for those. With Eagle GT's clutch would smoke, not tires. Had to stay away from those, too sticky.

Last edited:

Dirtybob

Buick Ownership
95 RMS
I recall seeing a few of those cars back in the day running 12s/13s (back when a 13 sec. street car was considered fast). Don't see much of anything made by Chyrsler/Dodge from that era any more. There is a really clean Dodge Shadow that I see in town occasionally (just like pic below) and, amazingly enough, two or three K cars still being driven around.

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
So true Bob, about the same in ME. A few Dodge Chargers around that could of had potential but are 6 cylinders (not too bad either). Think was carry over from my road runner days. image.jpeg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.