Manually Deactivating AWD?

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Just pondering……

Does anyone know if it’s possible to Deactivate the AWD?
My thinking is….. I really only need it when driving on wet or snow covered roads and it has to be somewhat a waste on MPG on dry pavement and an extra wear on the drive train.

Yes, I know it is designed to deactivate once above 30MPH and therefore should be great on highways and distance traveling. However, I’m guessing that it adds to mechanical wear & tear on the rear drive & tires.

I’m thinking, “IF” it’s a speed sensitive system that disengages some sort of (manual or electric??) clutch, then perhaps interrupting (or adding) a 12VDC signal somewhere could deactivate the system? And thus enabling the user to then choose when or not to have the AWD (Under 30) feature?

Granted I’m, not planning on playing with it while under the Warranty – and truth be told, my wife may not let me do so even after that…… :)

But it might be kind of nice to be able to deactivate it and choose on my own as for when to engage the automatic feature.

IMG_3748.jpg IMG_3773.jpg

Least that’s what I tend to think,

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 13

Foursoors

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Convenience
It's the extra weight of the AWD system that lowers fuel economy. Nothing will fix that. The Encore's AWD gets good reviews. Trust it to work the way it was designed.

crakkus

Buick Ownership
Buick
It's the extra weight of the AWD system that lowers fuel economy. Nothing will fix that. The Encore's AWD gets good reviews. Trust it to work the way it was designed.

You will get error codes if you do that. The drivetrain is fully engaged, its not like a truck were you can change from 4x4 to 2x2.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
It is magnetically coupled. You will not see an improvement in mpg circumventing it.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
I agree with you all....

Don't get me wrong, for I'm glad we bought it "With"

It is nice not hearing "Honey, The front wheels break loose when I pull out on a wet hill" anymore :)

Just wouldn't it be nice to have been given the "choice" to make the decision on our own?

Then again, I guess we did have that when we purchased it :)

joe

crakkus

Buick Ownership
Buick
I agree with you all....

Don't get me wrong, for I'm glad we bought it "With"

It is nice not hearing "Honey, The front wheels break loose when I pull out on a wet hill" anymore :)

Just wouldn't it be nice to have been given the "choice" to make the decision on our own?

Then again, I guess we did have that when we purchased it :)

joe

could get a truck?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!