Maybe it's the coil packs?

Jupiter43

Connecticut
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Hello everyone, I drive a 1993 Buick Park Ave Ultra. So I discovered an odd sound coming from what seems to be my coil packs... now, I DO have a manifold leak as of now, and need to fix it soon; however, this new sound I haven't heard before. When the engine is running, I'm hearing a faint 'click click' sound, which to me sounds like a spark issue going on. I recently replaced the spark wires and plugs, could that 'clicking' be my coil packs? It seems as though its coming from them or that area at least..

I greatly appreciate any help :D

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Are you absolutely sure that all the wire terminals are tight & connected to the coils & plugs?

ryenie

Maynardville, TN
Buick Ownership
95 Monte Carlo L36
It would be easier to find where its arcing out at night with no lights. I'd be careful messing with the wires if they are arcing out, it won't hurt you (unless you have a weak heart), but it doesn't tickle either.

Jupiter43

Connecticut
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Everything seems to be in working order as far as my electrical goes, I'm assuming possibly because I didn't replace the coil packs along with the plugs and wires, is causing some issue. My manifold leak seems to be from the 1st cylinder, as there seems to be some black soot looking material around that area...

ryenie

Maynardville, TN
Buick Ownership
95 Monte Carlo L36
Unless the coil pack is cracked, i don't see that being the issue. If you can hear the spark I don't think it's reaching the intended plug and that would also indicate the coil is working. The fuel injectors can also make a faint ticking noise when they open and close.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
If you have an ohm meter checking those new wires for one with more than 1k per foot of resistance would indicate a bad wire.

Jupiter43

Connecticut
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Thanks for all of your help guys, I just don't have any of that professional mechanic equipment (like the meters and what have you), tackling this manually is my issue :(

happydog500

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park avenue
I have a 1998 PA. I noticed mine making the same noise. I can't find where it's coming from, or what it is.

Chris.

Ziggy

Buick Ownership
Buick Park Avenue 91 base
So how is the engine running?
If it is fine, are you sure it isn't the tensioner which can click a bit while moving? Or the clutch from the A/C compressor?
Cause you must notice the engine skipping or misfiring when sparks are arcing somewhere.

happydog500

Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Park avenue
So how is the engine running?
If it is fine, are you sure it isn't the tensioner which can click a bit while moving? Or the clutch from the A/C compressor?
Cause you must notice the engine skipping or misfiring when sparks are arcing somewhere.

Come to think of it, mine sounds like it could be the clutch from the A/C Compressor. Thank you,
Chris.

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Sparks arching to the coil packs/ICM would indicate a poor connection to the coils, or bad wire/loose connection transferring the voltage to the plugs.

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!