Metal on metal sound near brakes?

BigBoat

South Carolina
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick LeSabre Custom
Howdy y'all, it's me again.

So, my poor girl still shakes at highway speeds even after checking the engine mounts and both cv boots but that's not the point. The other day I took off the FR wheel to see if the boot was torn just in case, and as I was turning the wheel before taking it off, it sounded like 2 pieces of metal were scraping together where the pads are at. But my brakes don't even have a substantial amount of miles on them yet so I would assume the pads shouldn't be worn down. Is it because the brakes are just crappy or?

(And if someone could explain the whole shake thing at high speeds again for me, that would be a blessing too ;))

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
unless you see score marks on the rotors there is nothing wrong with the pad making a scraping noise when you turn the wheel.
Concerning the shaking, when is the last time the wheels were balanced?

BigBoat

South Carolina
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick LeSabre Custom
Define score marks for me?

I've noticed it when just plain driving as well. It squeaks and scrapes down the road, when I'm turning the wheel, etc.

That's a good question. I've had the old girl only a year and haven't gotten the wheels balanced.

Ameri

Chicago
Buick Ownership
2004 Buick LeSabre
When car is parked overnight in moist environment, pads can make metal on metal noise very briefly on initial brake application (this always happen with mine).
In regards to the shake. Can you provide more description ie. Speed, feel in the brake and steering?
Here is my story. When I first bought the car at 46k. It was shaking at approximately 60 mph. Tried balancing the tires, alignment, etc... nothing helped, finally, I changed the tires like someone suggested and used Michelins and that shaking was 95-98% gone. But lower control arm bushing at this point were torn and it could’ve contributed partially to the shaking. I have prior experience of shaking due to control arms bushings-in a BMW though- so I’d say, you might check those as well.

Liebo

Buick Newbie
Detroit area
Buick Ownership
'01 Lesabre custom
I logged in tonight because I have the same noise, I think I've chased it down to the clutch on the compressor, was going to look for a write up i saw (not sure if it was on here however) on how to adjust it. The scrape is not as noticeable if i turn the a/c on but its still faint.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The noise you have is not related to the post as yours is possibly the AC clutch assembly. Maybe repost under the correct vehicle, give year and engine size if needed, but for now here's some info that may help.

Attachments

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.