Minor issues - Are these supposed to happen?

Gabe501

Troy, MI
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Hi all! I'm having a few issues with my GS and was just wondring if anyone else is having the same problems and if I should pursue it more at the dealer. It's already been back once and didn't solve anything. They're not big issues but would like to know.

1. When it's really cold out (mid 30 degrees F and below) and from a cold start my nav screen does not respond at all until it warms up. Dealer says cannot replicate the problem.

2. Brembo brakes seems to squeal only when braking at low speeds like creeping up to a stop light. It did this from day one and the dealer sanded the pads said it was fixed but nothing changed.

3. When idling at stop light, once in a while the RPM will fluctuate a little, vibrating the cabin then goes back to normal. I know some Regal owners are having this problem too but just wondering.

The only thing that really bothers me right now is the NAV not responding... just really sucks when I can't input addresses on my almost $40k car and have to resort to my phone or bug OnStar.

OnStar is awesome btw :D

TprGTO

MA
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Hi all! I'm having a few issues with my GS and was just wondring if anyone else is having the same problems and if I should pursue it more at the dealer. It's already been back once and didn't solve anything. They're not big issues but would like to know.

1. When it's really cold out (mid 30 degrees F and below) and from a cold start my nav screen does not respond at all until it warms up. Dealer says cannot replicate the problem.
12GSMN had the same problem. He was supposed to have his reflashed.
2. Brembo brakes seems to squeal only when braking at low speeds like creeping up to a stop light. It did this from day one and the dealer sanded the pads said it was fixed but nothing changed.
I posted this problem a while ago. I took the car to the dealership and of course, the problem could not be replicated by the mechanic.
3. When idling at stop light, once in a while the RPM will fluctuate a little, vibrating the cabin then goes back to normal. I know some Regal owners are having this problem too but just wondering.
No problems with this as of yet.
The only thing that really bothers me right now is the NAV not responding... just really sucks when I can't input addresses on my almost $40k car and have to resort to my phone or bug OnStar.

OnStar is awesome btw :D
I also had to have the interior trim replaced on the drivers rear door for an air leak. The button on the trunk touch pad was faulty and had to be replaced as well.

12GSMN

5.7L Member
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
As mentioned, my screen does not work when cold, flashes to multiple screens when it warms up about 3 to 5 minutes later, then it is ok. I have not had a chance to take in yet, but it is very repeatable. Brakes do sometimes squeal at low speed light pressure, i just lift, press a little harder for a second and re apply to the smoother pressure. It cleans the glaze off and all is fine. No issue with the 3rd element. Good luck!

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
I had the nav screen issue too! The surrounding bezel was pressing on the screen, and selecting presets on its own. Mine was confined to the bottom middle (where presets 3 & 4 are). For whatever reason, as the cabin warmed up, i guess it would expand or flex and touch the screen. It doesn't need to be reflashed, you just have to add a small washer to the two screws that hold the nav screen to the surrounding bezel.

Make sure that if you do that, you don't end up with a problem on the TOP of the screen.

The entire thing pops out as one piece (including AC ducts) pretty easily.

I had posted it on buickforums.com before I found this site, and no one knew what I was talking about.

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
Here's a quick video I made that I also posted to buickforums.com... notice I could press the bezel and the radio stations would jump around.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzW5FduLMeg&sns=em[/ame]

Last edited:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Great demo, sorry your car came with a free "touch dash" upgrade.

Last edited:

12GSMN

5.7L Member
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I had the nav screen issue too! The surrounding bezel was pressing on the screen, and selecting presets on its own. Mine was confined to the bottom middle (where presets 3 & 4 are). For whatever reason, as the cabin warmed up, i guess it would expand or flex and touch the screen. It doesn't need to be reflashed, you just have to add a small washer to the two screws that hold the nav screen to the surrounding bezel.

Make sure that if you do that, you don't end up with a problem on the TOP of the screen.

I had posted it on buickforums.com before I found this site, and no one knew what I was talking about.

Thanks for advising, I was not thinking a reflash would fix it, I said it flashes after it warms up. I thought it was the touch screen itself making a thermo transition. I will remove the bezel while the car is warm, let it cool down, with it off, and see if the problem still exist. I actually hope this fixes it instead of a new screen.

I have not looked at the Regalforums website, I will check that out as well.

Gabe501

Troy, MI
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS

Wow thanks! That's exactly what was happening to mine! Except mine was on the top where the info button was. When it's cold, the bezel continuously presses on the info button so nothing else would respond. When it warms up, it would flash as if the info button was pressed. Finally it would work properly after 10-15 mins. Now that I know what's causing it, I'm sure the dealer could fix it.

12GSMN

5.7L Member
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I removed the bezel and unscrewed the screen, let the car cool down over night and in the morning the screen worked right at the start. I felt around the bezel edges that touch the screen and there was some flash. I sanded down the flash, re installed everything and no more problem! Thanks for forwarding the root cause as I thought it was the screen.

I then removed the satin trim steering wheel bezel, biased the fastener tab, put some cotton to bulk up the plastic, and no more noises when you touch the trim and the sharp edge is now blending in with the leather.

All is well in the 12gsmn kingdom!

trevgtp

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
i just cleaned up the bezel surround on mine, had the top misbehaving on me, so i didnt put in any washers...i will let you know how it goes.

also, on the top left receptacle for the metal clip, the plastic behind the dash was actually broken, and i know it wasnt from me because it came out very easily..im kind of upset..

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

12GSMN

5.7L Member
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Great to hear yours is fixed as well! It was a little 'weak knee' to have to strike the bezel (left hand on the bezel, and strike your hand with your right hand) to get the bezel to snap in.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners