Miracle Fluids

mfritz7741

Southern Wisconsin
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Verano Premium
First I would like to say thanks for the add! I have been on other forums that were spotty at best and after reading through quite a few threads I feel that I’m now working with people of similar mindset! My inquiry today is reguarding fuel additives. Do you like them or not? Useful or not? Added specification towards “catalyst cleaners” due to “documented cat converter issues” (other forum).

I’m the new owner of a ‘14 Premium 2.0t manual and have been noticing hints of the dreaded rotten egg. Not sure if a miracle fluid is a worthy way to go or not. Also new to the turbo life and don’t want to harm it! TIA!

Attachments

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I use Chevron's Techron in my Verano intermittently. I've never tried a specific additive/cleaner for the cat-con. Welcome and congrats on picking up your Summer (Verano is Spanish for summer) sans slushbox. I tried to find a new one equipped like that two years ago but just missed the cut.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Cataclean seems, I'll use that word sparingly, to be a good product. Some other forums like the Audi 4 cylinder turbo, which have there own set of problems lol, use it and a few others have had good luck. It's expensive and hopefully others will have reviews if it's worth it or a waste of money.

mfritz7741

Southern Wisconsin
Buick Ownership
I use Chevron's Techron in my Verano intermittently. I've never tried a specific additive/cleaner for the cat-con. Welcome and congrats on picking up your Summer (Verano is Spanish for summer) sans slushbox. I tried to find a new one equipped like that two years ago but just missed the cut.

Thanks for the input, I do like Techron from use in previous vehicles! Also, Thank you, I think you just named my car! Summer😁

mfritz7741

Southern Wisconsin
Buick Ownership
Cataclean seems, I'll use that word sparingly, to be a good product. Some other forums like the Audi 4 cylinder turbo, which have there own set of problems lol, use it and a few others have had good luck. It's expensive and hopefully others will have reviews if it's worth it or a waste of money.
I was an inspection mechanic in Pennsylvania and we used to recommend that to people so they would pass emission testing. I’ve seen it work! I was just worried about using that with having a turbo motor. I do thank you for the information!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I sometimes have a problem with recommending products on a vehicle that I haven't used it on. Like I said the Audi turbo 4 guys have the DI issue and have said it works, glad to hear some one else can at least confirm it.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I've never been a big proponent of fuel or oil additives.
Most mechanics I know will tell you that most are waste of $'s.
Especially if your just doing it, to be doing it.
Though I have played around with Octane Boost in some Hot Rods over the years... :)

Good quality and correct octane fuel from a reputable gas station should have the proper additives/detergents to keep a vehicle running "clean". In my 2013 Turbo Verano, I only run Premium Fuel from top tier stations. Here in Ohio it's usually Shell, but will also run BP, Exxon, and Marathon. I stay away from grocery store, truck stop, and generic mini-mart stations.

With that being said.... I do think there are additives that can probably help in clearing up a problem before it gets "too" bad. I did an oil change/engine flush one time for a friend that had some noisy valves in a high mileage used car he had bought. After the flush and with good oil and some STP Oil Treatment in it, the valves quieted right down. Note... This was an old car without hydraulic valves or lash adjusters.

I personally have never had a Cat problem or had to replace a Cat in any vehicle I have ever owned. Some with well over 100,000 miles. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I'm a firm believer that properly scheduled maintenance with good quality fluids and fuel has a lot to do with it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.