mix and match tires

thezeeman333

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
I looked through the search and couldn't find anything on mix and match tire.
I have an 02 with AWD.
Here are my tires:

Front left - Michelin XLT with 6/32 tread
Front right- Michelin XLT with 3/32 tread
Back left - Michelin XLT with 7/32 tread
Back right- No name tire with tread pattern very close to Michelin XLT- 8/32 tread

All tires are 215/70/16 All season.

I obviously have to replace the front right tire, which leads me to my questions:
Can I buy just one tire? Can I mix and match tires the same size, but different brands or treads without messing with the awd?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Replace the two front tires, should have similar remaining thread and pattern on each end of vehicle.

TollKeeper

Brighton, CO
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus
If you replace just one, you could be asking for problems. On ANY AWD vehicle, you should replace all tires at the same time. You could end up damaging the rear diff, the PTO, or the front diff.

If money is the issue, I would take the front left, and match it to the back left (both Michelins on the rear diff), and replace the front.

Of course that means putting new Michlelin XLT tires on the front. Which come with a factory tread depth of 10.5. Its nearly half of what those 2 other tires would have. This is asking for trouble. I would not suggest doing it.

If it were me, I would go buy all new tires.

You can get a decent set of tires from Discount Tire for about 600 bucks installed. (I had these installed on my Rendezvous, my Envoy, and I am putting another set on my Envoy tomorrow. Best tires ever IMHO)

Cheap ones for about 300. (I have these on my Aztek, decent tire, not great, just decent)

thezeeman333

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
thanks for the suggestions but yes money is a big issue right now. Can't afford new tires and trying to find 4 used of the same brand with same tread thickness is tough to do.

thezeeman333

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
I gave in and bought 4 new Hankook tires and two new OEM steel rims. Got them Road Force balanced and the guy said the tires and rims were perfect. I had a shake with the other tires and was told 2 rims were bent. I just took it out for a drive and the car still shakes between 30 and 50mph. Already replaced rotors and pads, struts and shocks, sway bar and links, and rebuilt calipers. I have no idea why it still shakes at those speeds. Its not as bad as before but I can still feel it which is bugging me to no end. :(

thezeeman333

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
I noticed a bushing on the front control arm is beat up a bit. Could this be a reason the suv is shaking? I sometimes hear a clunking sound when turning or over a bump. I did the ball joint test by grabbing the wheel and rocking it back and forth. It seems solid on both front wheels.

TollKeeper

Brighton, CO
Buick Ownership
It could be a CV joint, a axle U-Joint.. The other rhings you already replaced, tires and wheels. Brakes will only cause a vibration/shake under braking. and a control arm/control arm bushing will only cause alignment issues.

The only other thing I can suggest is try moving the wheels that are on the front axle, to the rear, and vice versa. See if the vibration moves with the the tire/wheel location.

thezeeman333

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
Thanks. I will try moving the wheels around. I quickly looked at the CV joint and the rubber is good all around. I will check axle u-joint when I change tire locations.

Raden

Buick Ownership
Rendezvous
If money is a concern temporarily and you are looking or tires that all match, consider cheap chinese tires instead. I got 4 brand new Firepro? winter tires installed and balanced for $520 CAD. Thus far through snow and ice, they have done surprisingly well for holding the road and overall traction.

Will chinese tires last? No
Will they get you through a season or 2? Yes

I went this route as by next year, I plan to be in Vancouver as opposed to Alberta now where we get lots of snow and ice. Vancouver gets a lot of rain and sees snow maybe 3 times a year. So, ill ride the tires for the winter, then look for better quality rain tires in the spring.

thezeeman333

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
If money is a concern temporarily and you are looking or tires that all match, consider cheap chinese tires instead. I got 4 brand new Firepro? winter tires installed and balanced for $520 CAD. Thus far through snow and ice, they have done surprisingly well for holding the road and overall traction.

Will chinese tires last? No
Will they get you through a season or 2? Yes

I went this route as by next year, I plan to be in Vancouver as opposed to Alberta now where we get lots of snow and ice. Vancouver gets a lot of rain and sees snow maybe 3 times a year. So, ill ride the tires for the winter, then look for better quality rain tires in the spring.
Thanks but I got 4 used Hankook tires with 11/32 tread balanced and installed for $340 all in. It was such a good deal that I got them Road Force balanced but I still get a shake between 20 and 40 mph that is driving me crazy. If you read my post above I replaced many parts but still get shaking :(

TollKeeper

Brighton, CO
Buick Ownership
Inbetween 20-40? Have you checked the U-Joints on the driveshaft?

Usually shocks/Struts show from a 40+, so I doubt thats the issue, but could be.

Im also chasing a vibration on my Envoy. It happens from 72mph or above, and gets worse when coasting. Its quite aggravating.

Raden

Buick Ownership
Rendezvous
Thanks but I got 4 used Hankook tires with 11/32 tread balanced and installed for $340 all in. It was such a good deal that I got them Road Force balanced but I still get a shake between 20 and 40 mph that is driving me crazy. If you read my post above I replaced many parts but still get shaking :(
Sorry, I did read your post in its entirely. I was just addressing the tire issue. CAD to USD means i paid $520, you would pay $385 ish for 4 brand new tires that you would get at least a 30,000 mile warranty on.

As for the shaking. Could be anything. I had bad vibration/shaking few years back on a car. Found the counter weight fell off the rim 2 blocks after leaving the garage that just put new tires on for me.

Some places for concern include: wheel bearings, pilot shaft / driveshaft, CV axles, alignment issues, poorly or unevenly weighted, damaged rims/tires... despite being road force balanced.

Rotors, pads, and rebuilt calipers will only generally give off vibration during braking and it's usually due to warped rotors.

Last edited:

thezeeman333

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
Inbetween 20-40? Have you checked the U-Joints on the driveshaft?

Usually shocks/Struts show from a 40+, so I doubt thats the issue, but could be.

Im also chasing a vibration on my Envoy. It happens from 72mph or above, and gets worse when coasting. Its quite aggravating.
Yes it starts to shake around 20mph right up to 40mph. Hardly any shaking (minor) around 50 to 60mph. New shocks and struts 3 months ago.

thezeeman333

Buick Ownership
2002 Rendevous
Sorry, I did read your post in its entirely. I was just addressing the tire issue. CAD to USD means i paid $520, you would pay $385 ish for 4 brand new tires that you would get at least a 30,000 mile warranty on.

As for the shaking. Could be anything. I had bad vibration/shaking few years back on a car. Found the counter weight fell off the rim 2 blocks after leaving the garage that just put new tires on for me.

Some places for concern include: wheel bearings, pilot shaft / driveshaft, CV axles, alignment issues, poorly or unevenly weighted, damaged rims/tires... despite being road force balanced.

Rotors, pads, and rebuilt calipers will only generally give off vibration during braking and it's usually due to warped rotors.
Thanks for your input on the tires but I paid $340 cdn all in and the tires are almost new. Wheel bearings are good since all 4 hubs replaced last year. I am thinking driveshaft since I also hear a small rubbing noise in the back left area of suv. It only rubs when I accelerate and not when I coast. No noise at all ( maybe I just can't hear it) after 40mph. Changed diff oil and no issues when turning. Drives straight and true with no pulling to either side. Again thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!