Moog Strikes Again!

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8 liter
Well, I developed the typical growling noise at about 20 mph and up. This is the typical bad hub bearing noise. So, I jacked the front of the car up and checked the tires for play. My right side front had some play. So, I actually had a moog hub brand new in the garage and replaced it. Yes, The noise was still there. So, I got it back up on jacks again and spun the tires on the front end. No noise. So, I was beginning to fear some type of transmission issue. However, It just didnt add up. So, I ordered in another bearing hub from Amazon. The new one is made/sold by ECCPP.

While waiting for it to arrive I took the car out for another test drive with my GF. She commented it sounded like it was coming from the middle of the front of the car --- :eek: . I really started to sweat about the transmission then. My beast has about 154k on it now. I figured it might be the torque converter??

So, Got back home and sat on the front porch just staring at my car. Thinking to myself "Its got to be a hub bearing issue". I made the decision to replace the front drivers side as the part finally arrived. Well, I remember replacing it only a few years ago with a Moog hub. So, I was doubtful. Besides, No looseness, No abnormal sounds when spinning the tire.

I replaced it and sure enough, It was the same one I replaced about two years ago. We will see how this one lasts...

I did replace my sway bar end links. Seems my passenger side front was missing totally - lol..

Happycampers

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2000 buick lesabre custom
I had similar noises and after replacing everything under the sun I concluded I have a bad bearing in the transmission , 🤔 maybe

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
I had similar noises and after replacing everything under the sun I concluded I have a bad bearing in the transmission , 🤔 maybe
I have to say that I tried every test I could think of to determine if the driver side bearing hub was bad. It did not "wiggle", It would not sound odd by turning it by hand, It felt just like a new bearing. Apparently, It only produced noise when it got up to speed - about over 15mph or so. Evidently I could not crank it by hand fast enough. I think it needed some pressure on the bearings from the car weight and then some speed. I too thought it was a transmission noise or the clutch going out. It was the Moog hub though.
One think I do before putting in the new hub is use some anti-seize on all parts so that next time I have to take it apart it is a lot easier.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Happycampers

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2000 buick lesabre custom
Another option although not cheap is running it on a dyno machine . I replaced every thing at first with the cheapest parts I could find but as I discovered that’s not always the best route . I

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
You know, I will say "Do not buy Moog hubs anymore" however, I think they are all made in china and about the same quality.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Check the "County of Origin" of the hub or box is the best way to know where it was manufactured. The gray area is the word "Assembled in USA" which doesn't really explain where the components come from. The auto parts house brands are what ever fell of the assembly line, in some cases B stock that wouldn't be acceptable to the OEM or cheapest available for resale.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners