• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

More GS problems- new loud noise under acceleration/vibration

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS, 6spd manual. white diamond
Hey guys,

Will update once I figure out what it is, I tried one dealer and they want me to leave the car but do not have one for me. And the other dealer said their transmission tech is gone until Wednesday so I have to bring it back then.

Anyways for the issue, upon starting it up today (2012 regal GS 6MT, stock) and taking off in first the engine was extremely loud and rumbly, almost like how Id have wanted the car to sound. Under normal acceleration whenever the gas pedal was being pressed this persisted. To me it sounded as if the air intake was like half way blocked or something (I checked it is not) and seemed to come from the front passenger side. Under idle it was normal and same with coasting and also the sound was a little more subdued but still above normal in 5th and 6th gear. But during shifts could feel the abnormal vibration through the gear knob and when accelerating could feel the gas pedal vibrate.

No codes were thrown, and it seems to still be getting full power (but with the sound makes it seem like it is struggling).

Doubt anyone has any ideas with the vagueness of the symptoms but just thought I would note it and post back with whatever the issue is. Thank god I still have 1500miles left under CPO bumper to bumper

noebui

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
Unfortunately this isn't going to help you much, but you've described exactly what I've been dealing with for several months now. I also have a stock 2012 GS 6MT. This started around 60k miles for me. The engine sounds louder than usual and especially rumbly when in high RPMs. I first noticed the difference when I felt an odd vibration in the shift knob. I've taken it to the dealer once specifically for this issue and they told me everything seems normal, so I haven't done anything else with it. I know I'm not crazy and it was not like this when I first bought it. I had them check all the exhaust connections and make sure everything looked alright under the car. I've also had no codes thrown and everything seems fine as far as power goes. Seems like this will be a hard one to figure out unless someone else has had this issue and chimes in. I would love to get mine back to the way it used to be.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Damn that is not the best news, I will push them pretty damn hard because like you said it is not normal. I even picked my girlfriend up and soon as she got in the car and we started driving she commented it was a lot louder. I will report back, especially if we figure out a solution

Brawndo

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
Maybe the motor/tranny mounts are going bad? Could be causing excessive vibration.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
That was my thought, after doing it consistently for 2 days (on 50+ mile trips) it has now been doing it sometimes (ex. morning commute to work) and then sometimes not at all on the way home, and sometimes also on the way home. I brought it to the dealer (thankfully it was doing it), I took a tech out in it and he agreed it was abnormal (but stated had I not drove him and pointed it out he would think it was normal). His response? Looked at me and said I havent got a clue. They didnt even bother to open the hood or put it on lifts to take a look. He said he would check on their intrawebsite and see if any other techs have had this come up. I said fine and took my car since this dealership does not do loaners. But upon further reading of CPO warranty, it states GM will cover transportation when the vehicle is in under warranty work. So next we I am going back dropping it off and telling them I do not care if they replace every part on the buick so that it basically is brand new or they need to call an engineer out. It is a problem and they need to fix it.

Thankfully, tech agreed there was an issue and I have that documented by them. I have no idea what the fix will be but I will keep it updated

noebui

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
Sorry to hear they weren't able to take care of it right away. I did not get to take a tech out in mine, so they basically didn't understand what I was complaining about and told me everything was normal. When this first started, there seemed to be days where it was OK, and then it would sound/feel strange again the next day. At this point it is consistent, and I can still not get used to it. Hopefully they will figure it out next time you take it in. You seem more persistent than I am. I appreciate your updates, as I am very curious how this turns out. Good luck!

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
That is exactly what is happening with me it seems like, at idle and any gears soon as I hit about 2000rpm. I was going down a hill one day and downshifted so I coasted down ~2100 rpm no foot on the throttle and it was still doing it. It is just terrible going on the highway at 70-80mph if rpms hit that 2000 I cannot stand it.

Only good thing I guess (knock on wood) is yours has been like that for a while and it seems like no adverse effects from it. Hopefully we figure out a solution soon and you can get your dealership to try it on yours

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Sorry to hear they weren't able to take care of it right away. I did not get to take a tech out in mine, so they basically didn't understand what I was complaining about and told me everything was normal. When this first started, there seemed to be days where it was OK, and then it would sound/feel strange again the next day. At this point it is consistent, and I can still not get used to it. Hopefully they will figure it out next time you take it in. You seem more persistent than I am. I appreciate your updates, as I am very curious how this turns out. Good luck!
Just an update on it, after calling GM and having them explain to the dealer it needs to be fixed, the dealer kept it for 3 days and said once again they cannot figure it out and made me come pick it up today (still not fixed). Unfortunately the senior service advisor on my case hasn't called me back, but the dealer told me they are not doing anything unless GM authorizes a total tear down of it because they cannot figure out where to start.

I plan to keep pursuing this and will update again once a resolution is reached.

noebui

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
Well that is discouraging. At least on your first visit to the dealer you were able to show the tech the issue and he agreed that it was abnormal. I haven't even gotten that far yet.

I am now dealing with this issue and a wheel bearing issue. That's right, my rear passenger side wheel bearing is going out...again. This will be the second time I've had to replace it and I'm at ~68k miles. I also get to pay for it this time because my warranty is expired. There is also a constant squeaking coming from the same area when I am OFF the brakes. The dealer has already taken apart the entire brake assembly and told me everything was fine.

Thank you for the update. Hopefully GM cooperates with you and they get this resolved. It's frustrating when you know your car is not acting right, and nobody has a clue why. I just want my car to drive and sound like it did when I bought it. I'm sure you are the same way.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Damn that sucks, I atleast have about 800miles until bumper to bumper is up. Only good thing is wheel bearing isn't to tough to fix.

So after Talking with GM today the dealer is saying they can't duplicate (but I go in and show them and they agree) so I said okay let's compare it to a different Regal GS to which they refused. So after talking to Gm some more I am bringing it to a new dealer Monday for a second opinion (hopefully I can convince them)

And on top of that I have condensation in the headlight which the dealer says isn't covered under warranty.

Needless to say I found a 2014 BMW 328i with a 6 speed manual I think I will be buying next week if they'll give me a decent value for the Regal GS on trade in. It sucks because I love the GS I just wish the dealers and GM would actually deal with issues instead of denying everything

Kthewis92

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My 12 GS with the 6MT just started experiencing this. It's got 68k on it, I live in Minnesota where we've had a few days of below zero, these were the days I would notice it, it would stick around until it warmed up to about 30 outside so it's been intermittent until now. The past 2 day it's been unbearably loud and rumbly and temperature wise we've been right around 30. It's so rumbly it almost sounds as if he motor is strained. It will go from sounding normal to loud and rumbly over night which makes no sense. I plan on changing out the motor and transmission mounts to see if that helps. Clearly there is a defect. I'll post and update later on

Walt G

25 miles SW of Chicago
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
Just going to throw this out there... these engines are notorious for having problems with the camshaft position actuator solenoids, and not throwing codes for it.

If the cams are not moving to their proper position, it could make the engine sound really strange. Cheap and easy repair if you want to throw about $40 at the most common issue these engines seem to have. ZZP has the pair of them for $35... best price I've seen: http://zzperformance.com/ecotec/camshafts-valvetrain/intake-exhaust-cam-position-actuator-solenoids.html 5 minute repair if you own a socket set.

It's a shot in the dark though.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Keep us posted on any solution, I will try the camshaft position actuator for $35 it's worth a shot. I'm still working with the dealer and GM trying to get an engineer out to figure it out because none of the dealers can, but continually told by GM they aren't doing anything till it's diagnosed but they can't diagnose it lol

Brawndo

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
What is that 4 or 5 of us now with the 2012 GS 6MT right around 60k miles with this issue? Hopefully one of us can figure it out.

noebui

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
I mentioned this in another thread, but I replaced the 2 camshaft position actuator solenoids last year because I was getting a CEL with code P0010. The new parts took care of this issue, but had no effect on the vibration and noise. I'm sure it's possible I received a bad part. They are super easy to replace. Please keep us updated if you end up replacing them.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
I'm brining mine back to another dealer now to see if they are able to figure out or atleast prove to GM if 3 different dealers admit there is a problem but can't diagnose it then it is time to send someone out who can. I wouldn't hold my breath though

Brawndo

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
I did some more digging around on other car forums about a similar issue with GM engines and found a couple of posts that seem relevant:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/engine-vibration-74995/

Hope this helps someone else out. Had a rather unique problem when noticed a vibration at 950-1100 rpm. It morphed into a drone-like humming at higher rpms. Could feel it through the pedals and shift lever although the power was still there.

Took it to Bellevue Cadillac who told me the diagnostic check showed no codes and the vibration was a "normal" condition for this car. Now I have put 62K on this car and it is NOT normal, so I insisted in taking the mech for a ride. He agreed with me and tore into the engine. One week later they tell me the vibration was caused from a broken balancer shift tensioner shoe that caused a loose balancer chain that resulted in skipping a tooth.

So, after replacing the parts and resetting the shaft timing and cam timing the car runs perfectly again

I think the GXP has a V8 but this described my issue coming/going exactly:

Hey, just wanted to add that I just experienced this problem on my 08 GXP engine too. "Lower Left" balance shaft chain guide (the one the tensioner pushes on) broke in half. Not sure why.

My car would have very bad vibration starting about 2k rpm and up. At idle it wasn't that noticeable. Here's what really had me guessing, the vibration would come and go - it would be there for 2-5 days, then go away for 1-3 days, then back again. This was due to the balance shaft occasionally jumping teeth, and then back again. I drove it this way for prob 500mi. The reason I didn't investigate sooner was that I had just swapped this replacement motor into the car along with replacing the engine mounts. When the engine vibrated on new mounts I put the old ones back in and wallah, no vibration - though I now know this was just coincidence. Anyway, I'll be happy to get this thing back together and running smooth.
And finally a guide from the cobalt SS forums which I believe has the same engine as ours:
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/maintenance/37753-how-replace-balance-shaft-chain-tensioner.html

To start off I will let you know how to tell if this may need to be replaced. I had an engine noise coming from the top end toward the passenger side of the car. The noise got louder the higher the RPMs got
Seems like a strong possibility it could be the balance chain tensioner.

Last edited:
Pedal Commander