• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

More GS problems- new loud noise under acceleration/vibration

Brawndo

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
Bringing this thread back up because I now have an update, not sure on where any one else is at, but I moved and brought it to a new dealer in Oklahoma. They had a tech look at it who agreed something was off he wasn't sure about noise but did feel the vibration. And they are going to go ahead and pull the timing cover and replace the balance shaft chain/timing chain etc. I imagine it'll take a few days but I'll update soon as they pull the cover and see if it was something broken or if replacing that stuff works.
Holy shit good luck. Let me know how it works out. I really hope it fixes the issue. I'm ready to pay out of pocket at this point.

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS, 6spd manual. white diamond
Okay great news, they opened it up and I was EXACTLY right (see pics for work done). Extremely happy that it was finally done but so pathetic that it took 5 different dealers, being told I dont know what I was talking about by countless people at GM customer service/dealers/ even the "expert" GM sent in to my dealer who told me its completely normal and I am an idiot who read some things on the internet.

Anyways for all others with problem i would say it is extremely likely this is your problem as well and if GM will not fix under warranty I would fix myself (and send them bill), bring it to mechanic (then send GM bill), or 3rd bring it to dealer and say if you are wrong you will pay for it and then be there as they pull the timing cover in case they try to lie to you.

balance shaft 1.jpgbalance shaft 2.jpg

Brawndo

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
How does it drive now after replacement? My warranty has expired so I'm on the hook now for the repairs on my own. Does that bill list how much it would have been not under warranty?

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Drives perfect. I boise dead silent and feels a little faster (could just be because quiet at lower toms so engine doesn't sound like it's struggling).

If you brought it to them and documented the issue before warranty I'd fight that, I mean it'll be a pain and you'll have to probably sue so it's really how much time you want to spend.

It does not list those prices under price it just says "under warranty" for each part. But those are the parts they replaced and you could probably google them/get cheaper off internet

EnderWiggin

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
What would the bill have been out of warranty?
Quick look found that the normal timing set isn't horrible (~$89 or so), I dunno about the balancer chain though. I can only imagine what they charged for labor on that as well. I remember when I had my Sunfire GT, it's quoted about 8hrs of labor to change the chain on it, and it's similar to ours (LD9 vs Ecotec).

jwmuscat

lexington, ky
Buick Ownership
Not sure on what the price will be it's really dependent on labor. Someone with all data may be able to tell you the book hours to do it. I'd guess it's several thousand dollars. I'm sure parts you are around $30-$100 depending on what's broken like new tensioner, chain, and guides is not that bad. But for labor it'd be less than replacing a timing belt (since you save time not getting timing right) but it'll be close since in both cases will have to pull motor then front timing cover.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Not sure on what the price will be it's really dependent on labor. Someone with all data may be able to tell you the book hours to do it. I'd guess it's several thousand dollars. I'm sure parts you are around $30-$100 depending on what's broken like new tensioner, chain, and guides is not that bad. But for labor it'd be less than replacing a timing belt (since you save time not getting timing right) but it'll be close since in both cases will have to pull motor then front timing cover.
With a full timing chain pull, 5 hours of time from alldata. Under warranty, 3. The 3 and 5 hour are with replacing all guides and tensioners and engine does not need to be pulled. Timing chain is around $135....guides etc I'm sure are 100. Depending on where you get done, expect 600 ish. Less at an independent and more at a higher priced dealer. At an independent, similar to a timing belt fix.

Ecotec timing chain guide failures are not that unusual, so a good GM shop should know the drill. Expect it will be standard maintenance on these cars as mileage piles on. I know you can find video of the fix for cobalts etc all over the place.

EnderWiggin

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
With a full timing chain pull, 5 hours of time from alldata. Under warranty, 3. The 3 and 5 hour are with replacing all guides and tensioners and engine does not need to be pulled. Timing chain is around $135....guides etc I'm sure are 100. Depending on where you get done, expect 600 ish. Less at an independent and more at a higher priced dealer. At an independent, similar to a timing belt fix.

Ecotec timing chain guide failures are not that unusual, so a good GM shop should know the drill. Expect it will be standard maintenance on these cars as mileage piles on. I know you can find video of the fix for cobalts etc all over the place.
Not sure where you found that price.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/buick/regal/24461834/2012-year/gs-trim/2-0l-l4-flex-engine/engine-cat/engine-scat/?part_name=timing-chain $85.48 with guides.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
All-data, so whatever GM probably puts in for dealers.

Just checked again, same part: 17 - Timing Chain 24461834 $138.85

In the labor area, says work includes guides etc.

Replace Includes: R&R Chain Guides And Tensioner.
B 3.2 4.6

So 100 in parts and 5 hours in labor. Independent can probably get done for under 500. For $500, not something I would leave alone if there is any indication it is going south.

Brawndo

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
$500 is reasonable, going to print out jwmuscat's notes and part list and take it to a local shop and see if I can get an estimate.

EnderWiggin

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
All-data, so whatever GM probably puts in for dealers.

Just checked again, same part: 17 - Timing Chain 24461834 $138.85

In the labor area, says work includes guides etc.

Replace Includes: R&R Chain Guides And Tensioner.
B 3.2 4.6

So 100 in parts and 5 hours in labor. Independent can probably get done for under 500. For $500, not something I would leave alone if there is any indication it is going south.
Correct, $138.85 is normal price, same part number.

Kthewis92

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
**** Update****
so after reading through this thread and not changing any parts after my initial post, I was a little stubborn and didn't want to do the whole shot in the dark thing. So yesterday after getting up to date on the thread I called the dealer and brought it in for them to have the first look. I didn't expect them to do much at all. They heard the timing chain slap/ vibration, the tech plugged his computer in and adjusted the timing and confirmed the issue. Parts have been ordered and its all covered under the powertrain warranty :) it's going in next week. This should be the fix! I'll post a follow-up.

Thanks for all the info! this thread has been great!

noebui

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
Glad to hear you got your problem resolved jwmuscat! I am almost positive this is my issue as well, but can't quite swallow the price tag of getting it fixed. My car was under warranty when I first complained about the issue at the dealer, but its way past the warranty now.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Glad to hear you got your problem resolved jwmuscat! I am almost positive this is my issue as well, but can't quite swallow the price tag of getting it fixed. My car was under warranty when I first complained about the issue at the dealer, but its way past the warranty now.
If this is the issue, you lose the chain completely or it jumps, you could damage valves/cylinder etc and that gets real expensive. Also stuff I read of as it progresses, stuff gets into the oil etc and can get damage that way. 500 is timing belt money and at this point believe it is a maintenance item on these cars (pretend you have a Honda and just get it done).

noebui

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
If I could find someone to do this and do a quality job for $500, I'd be all over it. I guess I will start looking, cause I know the dealer won't be that low.

Okimdone

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Is this issue only appear for those with 6MT? I've got a 2014 Regal GS Automatic w/ only 24k miles on it and have been experiencing the car shaking quite violently at around 70 MPH 2000RPM even on smooth roads. You think this might be the same issue?

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Is this issue only appear for those with 6MT? I've got a 2014 Regal GS Automatic w/ only 24k miles on it and have been experiencing the car shaking quite violently at around 70 MPH 2000RPM even on smooth roads. You think this might be the same issue?
Symptoms of this shouldn't be speed related. I'd put the tranny in neutral and see if issues continue (removed engine/tranny from mix).

Pedal Commander