More GS problems- new loud noise under acceleration/vibration

jwmuscat

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS, 6spd manual. white diamond
Thread starter #81
Shouldn't matter auto or manual, engine is the same. However, I'm not sure if this is the first one on a '14 which has the LTG not the LHU. I think so far for everyone it's been the LHU but I mean they didn't change that part from the old solstice and cobalts SS even though it kept happening to pwople on those and GM clearly didn't fix it for LHU. So I wouldn't put it past them to not fix it for LTG

noebui

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
Dealer quoted me $925 to replace balance shaft chain and all related components. I know I could probably get it done cheaper, but I'm considering just doing it. Any thoughts?

jwmuscat

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS, 6spd manual. white diamond
Thread starter #85
That seems fairly cheap to me, I'd probably do it to be honest if you are out of warranty. It sucks because it's a known problem and if you brought it up before warranty. But if you are going to keep it for more than a year I'd do it at that price

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Dealer quoted me $925 to replace balance shaft chain and all related components. I know I could probably get it done cheaper, but I'm considering just doing it. Any thoughts?
I'd find an independent in area and find out what they will do it for. Keep in mind this isn't a specific problem to the LHU, so plenty of people have dealt with it in other GM cars. Hit one of the boards with an ecotec with plenty of sales (Cruze?). With a ton of people, can usually get a recommendation for shop in your area.

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
I've been chasing a whine/rattle in the engine for the past 2 months... I had the balance shaft chain, guides, & tensioner replaced under warranty last month, but it didn't fix the whine/rattle noise from the engine cover area. The Dealer just replaced the water pump last week because the noise wasn't gone, and the problem is now fixed... the bearings in the pump were shot. They should have done both at once to save themselves some $$$ in labor having to open up that area twice now. On Saab's with a similar engine, they actually sell a balance shaft chain, related parts, & water pump in a single kit for this very reason.

noebui

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm posting this to hopefully help someone experiencing the issues in this thread. I finally bit the bullet and had the dealer replace the balance shaft chain, tensioner, and guides at 80k miles. I've been dealing with the noise and vibration for around 25k miles. One of the managers rode in the car with me last June, and told me that the balance shaft chain would not cause the issues I was having. Well I picked the car up tonight and it drives like the day I bought it. I'm a happy camper! This is one of those things that someone who does not drive the car every day can't really experience. It's a sound and a feel thing. You know your car isn't right. If anyone is on the fence about having this done, just do it. It's something a mechanic will probably not be able to diagnose.

Walt G

Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm posting this to hopefully help someone experiencing the issues in this thread. I finally bit the bullet and had the dealer replace the balance shaft chain, tensioner, and guides at 80k miles. I've been dealing with the noise and vibration for around 25k miles. One of the managers rode in the car with me last June, and told me that the balance shaft chain would not cause the issues I was having. Well I picked the car up tonight and it drives like the day I bought it. I'm a happy camper! This is one of those things that someone who does not drive the car every day can't really experience. It's a sound and a feel thing. You know your car isn't right. If anyone is on the fence about having this done, just do it. It's something a mechanic will probably not be able to diagnose.
Glad to hear your car is fixed. Would you be willing to provide us one more data point and let us know if your car was calling for oil changes around 10k miles or 5k miles? Just trying to collect more evidence (or counter evidence) that the long oil change intervals are a major contributor to chain issues, and that's why GM changed the OLM programming sometime during the '12 model year.

Thanks.

noebui

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
The car had around 34k miles on it when I bought it. I've honestly never seen the change oil indicator come on since I've had the car. I always just change the oil around 5k miles.

cdg010

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
I'm having this same issue right now! The inconsistent clicking slapping now on cold starts. Dealership told me that's normal. Only problem is it didn't make the noise and the dealership. Odd. It was 45 today and it did make the noise. They charged me $90 for diagnostics.

cdg010

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
I'm having issues with excessive vibration through my clutch pedal and shifter too even after my transmission was replaced. I bet it's this same problem. I have my warranty until 115k miles luckily.

Buick Ownership
Regal
Glad to hear your car is fixed. Would you be willing to provide us one more data point and let us know if your car was calling for oil changes around 10k miles or 5k miles? Just trying to collect more evidence (or counter evidence) that the long oil change intervals are a major contributor to chain issues, and that's why GM changed the OLM programming sometime during the '12 model year.

Thanks.
Some more data. First I need to thank the posters on this thread - saved my Regal. Same issue as noted - loud vibration, techs first thought it was a heat shield problem, returned for a second assessment - pointed out this forum, tech assessed chain and related components, fixed for 2k Cdn. Motor runs like a Swiss watch. Again, many thanks all - posts saved my motor. Cheers.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Some more data. First I need to thank the posters on this thread - saved my Regal. Same issue as noted - loud vibration, techs first thought it was a heat shield problem, returned for a second assessment - pointed out this forum, tech assessed chain and related components, fixed for 2k Cdn. Motor runs like a Swiss watch. Again, many thanks all - posts saved my motor. Cheers.

I'm sorry you had to pay so much to fix something that should last at least 200,000 km. If we wanted to change the chain and the stuff that goes with it every 100,000 km, we mind as well have belts instead of a chain.

When my LTG starts showing signs of chain slack I'll be doing the job myself. I've replaced belts on 3 different cars... It's not too hard. Just time consuming and no room for error !

Buick Ownership
Regal
Yes would have done it myself - bought the tools just don't have the experience.
I'm sorry you had to pay so much to fix something that should last at least 200,000 km. If we wanted to change the chain and the stuff that goes with it every 100,000 km, we mind as well have belts instead of a chain.

When my LTG starts showing signs of chain slack I'll be doing the job myself. I've replaced belts on 3 different cars... It's not too hard. Just time consuming and no room for error !

Buick Ownership
Regal

Yup good strategy. I have the tools, no experience. Will be doing my own oil changes and tire changes going forward.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.