• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

More GS problems- new loud noise under acceleration/vibration

DarrinStephens

Buick Newbie
Fort Worth, Texas
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS, 6MT
I decided not to do the water pump when I replaced mine. It just seemed like a lot of work to replace a part that might last the life of the car.
I found that the balancer shaft chain guide that is pressed by the tensioner was broken. I replaced all the chains, tensioners and guides. I also replaced the spark plugs and the serpentine belt while I was in there.
I did it myself, with the engine in the car. I had the front motor mount off and raised and lowered the engine with a jack to get certain bolts out past the frame rail. I spent $199.15 on all the parts.
Before I did the job, I noticed both a ticking/rattling noise at the front of the engine and a strange harmonious hum similar to a twin-engine airplane with the engines out of sync. I'm sure that was from the balance shaft chain having slipped.
She's got just over 189,000 miles now. 44776207_1989244667802889_8166831668544405504_o (2).jpg

sdebon85

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
12 GS
UPDATE!

So I went ahead with the job and am I ever thankful I did.

First thing the mechanic says to me is. "I don't know how your engine didn't blow, the chain should have skipped a couple teeth." They wouldn't fix it at first as the mechanic could not replicate the issue. So I brought it back a few weeks later and decided to go ahead with it regardless. Turns out, the guide that the Balance Shaft Tensioner push's on to keep the chain taught broke in half after a hard sunday drive and then the first temperature drop of the fall. I did get a bit of luck as once the mechanic opened it up and saw what was going on called my warranty company and started a claim for me and what was going to be around $1200 CDN only ended up costing $325.

She drives good as new now!

Attachments

CincySpeedRacer

Cincinnati
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS 6M
Add another one to the list. Had the vibration and low rumble mentioned by others. Balance chain guide had broken. Car has 63k miles, and all maintenance done on schedule (oil changes every 5,000 miles, essentially twice a year based on my typical annual mileage). With my high pressure fuel pump failure just 6 months ago, that’s 2 high dollar repairs in a 6 year old car with fairly low mileage. Disappointing, because I really enjoy driving this car and was looking at a new GS as a possible replacement next spring.

Appreciate all of the information in this thread, as I had already braced myself for the call from the dealer with the bad news.

swhoops21

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
By chance when you were having these issues did the engine hold the rpms while pressing the clutch over 2000 rpms. Also did it feel like there was a blockage in the exhaust with the lag in acceleration. trying to see if I have the same issue going on. Definitely have the loud engine noise and vibration in pedal and shifter.

CincySpeedRacer

Cincinnati
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS 6M
By chance when you were having these issues did the engine hold the rpms while pressing the clutch over 2000 rpms. Also did it feel like there was a blockage in the exhaust with the lag in acceleration. trying to see if I have the same issue going on. Definitely have the loud engine noise and vibration in pedal and shifter.
I don’t recall the engine holding rpms, but I can’t say for certain it wasn’t doing that. Yeah, at times it felt like there was an exhaust issue, and even the dealer said that might be the problem (just their guess when I described the symptoms).

G-614869

i have a 2017 regal T and i am also noticing this issue,, seems sometimes during hard acceleration about 4,000 to redline it will have a really bad sound and vibration coming from the car , does not do it all the time , i will update if i decided to address the issue

Pedal Commander