• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Motor Trend Sportback review

CoconutRob

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
From what I read it seems that the GS should solve most issues they had with the car. The only one I am unsure of is Canadian review states a lot of soft touch materials, and MT said a lot of hard plastics. I wish they would have designed this car shape more like the avista.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
RLR

[video=youtube;wb1sY98tjmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb1sY98tjmY[/video]

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I'm familiar with Roman Mica's work from the Verano research I did, so I knew what to expect from his review.

The RLR reviewer needs to do more thorough research before recording and roll back his expectations. The regular Sportback model is not the GS nor should it be confused for one. I think he also lets his own perceptions of the Buick brand color his review.

wi_badger

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
Interesting reviews to be sure.

I think the RLR is tainted by Buick's own marketing. They keep pushing the luxury image but they are missing on a few things compared to their competition. That said the RLR review is thorough but in his summary he implies the whole is less than the sum of the parts. He clearly is happy with the acceleration, seat comfort, infotainment, interior space, transmission. He even says yeah its a solid daily driver. I think he was just expecting more luxury based on Buick's own marketing.

I do agree the empty switches are annoying. They could have used the digital gauges the GS gets to improve the interior. Otherwise this looks like a nice option to the Camry and Accords of the world.

davewg

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
Interesting reviews to be sure.

I think the RLR is tainted by Buick's own marketing. They keep pushing the luxury image but they are missing on a few things compared to their competition. That said the RLR review is thorough but in his summary he implies the whole is less than the sum of the parts. He clearly is happy with the acceleration, seat comfort, infotainment, interior space, transmission. He even says yeah its a solid daily driver. I think he was just expecting more luxury based on Buick's own marketing.

I do agree the empty switches are annoying. They could have used the digital gauges the GS gets to improve the interior. Otherwise this looks like a nice option to the Camry and Accords of the world.
And therein lies the problem. I don't see that the Sportback form factor is enough to make a difference to most buyers. Unless they buy into Buick's "luxury" marketing.

I don't think it's fair to say that RLR's opinions are off the mark. I can tell from the review that parts of the car scream cheap. In 2017 the instrument cluster is an embarrassment, as are some of the missing options.

Incandescent rear turn signals? Seriously? On a base trim, fine. On a $38k AWD Essence - no thanks.

My guess is Buick thinks the average buyer won't care (or notice). I also wonder if they hope that the buyers that do care will be put off enough by the flaws to jump to the GS.

The GS is slightly better, but there are still issues with the way its equipped, and the instrument cluster is better, but still a joke. Looks no different than an Impala, Malibu, etc.

One positive thing - the TourX that appeared briefly in the RLR video looks damn good. Problem is, it's saddled with some of the same problems as it's non-GS Sportback cousin.

Overall, I'm not as....enthused..about a GS or TourX as an option for my next vehicle as I was two days ago.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
The RLR reviewer needs to do more thorough research before recording and roll back his expectations. The regular Sportback model is not the GS nor should it be confused for one. I think he also lets his own perceptions of the Buick brand color his review.
Fwiw, he liked the new LaCrosse. I've watched many of his other reviews and he seems fairly balanced/objective.

[video=youtube;BZWm1JTfexw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWm1JTfexw[/video]

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
A big part of the reason the previous-gen Regal failed to sell well is because Buick did not advertise it; at least not in my area, which is not Buick adverse territory. I remember seeing one TV ad for it in 2014 or '15 while watching a baseball game. No print or web ads, nothing while watching local news or network programming. If Buick repeats that process with the new car, then everyone's perception of luxury won't matter and they'll litter dealers' lots. Contrast that with the '12-'16 Malibu, which I saw advertised on TV, in print, on the web and even on a bank ATM. And that was the model many reviewers hated and of which Chevy rushed out a mid-cycle enhancement.

Luxury is not only subjective (I'm not interested in paddle shifters; the manumatic selector on my transmission works well when I want to "shift") in this class, it's relative (hard plastic inner door panels and lower dash panels don't make me think cheap because my current car has an interior that's light-years ahead of my 2006 Ion) and luxury is a moving target (five years ago, a heated steering wheel, pushbutton start and electronic parking brake were unheard of in a C-class car; now, they're expected and noted when absent).

Most buyers ≠ enthusiasts and are ignorant about their vehicle's details; to them, it's a Point A to Point B purchase, no more or less.

I'm still very eager to see how well Buick markets these Regals and how well they sell, not to mention how long Opel keeps making them and sending them over (I've read until 2024 and I've read the cutoff will be earlier). I'm hoping for a wider color palette and more interior choices and a hp boost for 2019 but it'll all be fiction by the time I'm ready to buy again if the Regal languishes on lots.

davewg

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
This Autoweek review sums it up nicely, IMO
http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2018-buick-regal-sportback-first-drive-style-statement?utm_source=DailyDrive20171218&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

And while I'm complaining, the traditional analog gauge cluster looks a little dated compared to the beautiful TFT screens that many automakers are using today.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2018-buick-regal-sportback-first-drive-style-statement#ixzz51dFrU2P0
and

The handsome Regal strikes us as a good value for those who don’t really want or need a hard-edged sports-hatch. Here is a potent, comfortable and roomy machine for around $26,000. And we certainly like this more youthful and stylish direction for Buick. But our flavor of Regal would be one with a bit more bite. The good news? Enthusiasts will only have to wait a month or so for a more dynamic Regal—the 310 hp GS model arrives in February for $39,990.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2018-buick-regal-sportback-first-drive-style-statement#ixzz51dFyuCri

Pedal Commander