Mouse in the House

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
I read somewhere that mice can get into the cabin on an Encore. They come in through the heater air system. Previously I had a Hyundai Elantra and my wife has a Kia Sportage, both made or designed in South Korea as the Encore. Both cars had a mouse problem, the Sportage worse than the Elantra. Mouse nest in the spare tire area, cookies ate out of the console, droppings, geeeeze. I wrote to a vice pres of Hyundai he responded that he would look at the problem. However about a month after I got the Elantra a mouse died under the dash somewhere I never found so I had to deal with the smell for a month. We had mouse traps in the back floorboard as standard equipment I sprayed peppermint under the cars etc but didnt work.. I caught 5 mice in the Kia and one or two in mine plus a dead one I never found. Not fun. But I put a piece of screen wire on top of the Cabin Filter on those two cars and no more mouse problems. I always told the service people to not bother checking the cabin filter but they did anyway most times but they didnt bother the screen. I intend to do the same on the Encore. Apparently they dont have mice in South Korea or they would have put a screen over the heater intake for these cars. Who knew? I think a screen on the Encore is going to be a tight fit but worth the hassle, believe me. If you have any indication of a mouse, you better get a screen. Mice like to chew wires too which could mean big bucks. Anyone have similar problem?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
why are mice so plentiful in the area where these cars are stored?
you have no way of installing traps with bait in the exterior area where these cars are parked?

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Park them where the mice aren't there?? Where would that be? I live in the county, my yard is next to a hay field. Mice come in from the field especially in the winter and the garage is not sealed. Mice are everywhere anyway. I don't want dead mice in my garage if I put out poison (got cats and dogs too) and who wants to check traps everyday. One mouse is too many in your car, take my word on that. A poisoned mouse getting in to your car to die is not what you want either. The screen took care of the problem completely, no muss, no fuss. The old chevys and fords had a screen on the air intake system. You could see it when you looked under the hood. Somewhere that got left off the Engineering drawings for these new cars, especially ones made in South Korea.

Last edited:

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
If I knew where you lived, I wouldn't have asked the question. This is the Internet; I can't see you or your home. Nobody wants rodentia in their vehicles, dead or alive.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I live outside the city in a rural area too, and have a detached garage, and one day I noticed an off smell when turned on the heater in my Encore. So I immediatly pulled out the cabin filter, which really isn't too hard of a job after you have removed that snubber, and found mouse nesting material in there.

So I got a new filter at NAPA and replaced it, and sucked the nest out with the shop vac and then set up a few traps in the garage with peanut butter, which they can't resist. Got the little SOB the next day.

I always keep a few traps with peanut butter in the detached garage because mice can cause so much destruction to a car. People have spent thousands and thousands of dollars removing the complete interior of their brand new car because of mice.

I say catch them before they get in with traps. Not poison. A dead mouse in your car will ruin your day. Or month.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Peanut Butter is an irresistible smell to those varmints! Once you catch them in a cage, drop them in an storage bin filled with water and wait 2-min before dumping the cage. Hawks, Buzzards will have a Happy Meal on their remains! Buzzards are especially efficient in this procedure!

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
My back yard borders on a small creek with heavy brush on both sides. Lots of mice in the shed. They come in the garage in winter and have gotten in the wall of our house where the garage is attached. Traps with peanut butter are really the best thing, as much as you might hate to have to regularly check them. That keeps them to a minimum. Never had any in the car though. This will be our first winter with the Encore.

When we bought our Encore we basically parked our GMC Sierra 1500. I left it across the street from my house for 2 weeks. Went out to start it one night, nothing. Dash lights but not so much as a starter click. $530, 3 weeks, 3 relays, and a 4WD sensor later it was fine. A squirrel or some other critter had chewed up wires at the starter and shorted things out.

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Probably a squirrel. I've heard of that before. They got in my aunt's attic and chewed up wires. Good luck with the Encore and the mice. I took positive action and put in a screen.

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Yes, I drive every day. So far no problem with the Encore but when I had the Hyundai Elantra there was a problem. Same with my wife's Sportage. I installed screen in both cars and no problems since. Went ahead and installed a screen in the Encore too just to be safe.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
There's been a bit of information about the Soy based wire and plastic parts turning up in all new cars making them a Chinese buffet for varmints. Honda made their own rodent tape, which tells me that they know it's a problem. I guess its location dependent, rats for the city / mice for the country and squirrels all over.

A bunch of remedies, as mentioned in this post about putting a screen to keep them out, on how to possibly keep it from happening to all the exposed areas. The old Interweb has tons of ways to do it, I'm just thinking about getting a 1960 era vintage car with good old petroleum based parts lol.

How to Protect Your Car From Rodents

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.