• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

MPG Battle: Lowest/Highest 50 Mile Average

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
I haven't had a chance to do an extended highway drive yet on mine (only had it a month) but it's nice to see these numbers. Still not close to what my Cruze can do....have seen over 50 mpg on it (and it's not hybrid or diesel). But I would rather drive the regal any day.

MMKRegalTX

Pittsburgh, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Does the car come with a best mpg on it? Mine was a dealer loaner so it had a few k on it and somehow mine has 35.4mpg as the best. I'm trying to figure out where it was driven because I drive highway to work and get at best 24 with these hills.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
The best I've had on my Commodore (RSV, 3.6L, AWD, 9 speed) is 6.2 l/110 km (~38 mpg US gallons).

On a recent trip, open highway roads with 100 kph limit and through towns at 50 kph, no motorway/expressway driving with some hilly twisty terrain I got 7.5 l/100km (~31.3 mpg US gallons) at an average of 85 kph.

My 108 km run to work which is mostly flat and on motorway/expressway roads will give me around 6.4 l/100 km (~36.75 mpg)

The trip computer is always optimistic with the fuel consumption calculation by about 0.3 to 0.4 l/100 km. My real world consumption between fill ups works out at around 7.8 to 8.5 l/100 km. (~31 to 27.6 mpg)) on mostly flat terrain, with a mixture of around town and open road.

I don't know how much real world difference there is between the 2.0L turbo and the 3.6L and or FWD and AWD but I know I'd be struggling to get down to 6.0l/100km without it being a long downhill run or good tail wind.

I doubt you'd ever see great mileage in hilly terrain.

Last edited:

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Weekend trip down to Biloxi for my daughter's South State track meet. Followed the school's buses on the way down (65mph max) and got 39.7 mpg for a 50 mile average. Drove back without following the buses and got 31.2 mpg driving ~70mph.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Weekend trip down to Biloxi for my daughter's South State track meet. Followed the school's buses on the way down (65mph max) and got 39.7 mpg for a 50 mile average. Drove back without following the buses and got 31.2 mpg driving ~70mph.
That's a big difference in mpg for 5 mph.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
Perhaps there was some drafting effect following the buses. Assuming you were following a bus at the appropriate distance.

Also headwind/tailwind will have an impact. What about elevation? Does that change along the route?

Last edited:

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
Was definitely catching some draft off the buses at points. Cold front was moving in from the south west, so headed into the wind most of the trip down. The front had pushed through by the time we headed back, so not much of a tailwind coming back. Not a lot of elevation changes between Jackson and Biloxi. Spent most of the time at 60 mph on the way down due to speed limits. Coaches can be fired for excessive number of speeding tickets, so they drive the speed limit. Except on the interstate where the buses are limited to 65 mph and we only had 2 short sections of interstate. Most of the trip was on state hwy with 60 mph speed limit.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
That was set in May 2018 between Grand Canyon North Rim and Kanab, UT averaging approx. 65mph. I am to tell the world my wife was driving at the time.
Re Post #19:
What was the elevation Drop and total drive distance?
Grand Canyon north rim elevation
Grand Canyon North Rim Information | Utah.com

• Grand Canyon North Rim. If you have concerns, check with your doctor before visiting this area. The North Rim forms the edge of the Kaibab Plateau , with elevation ranging from 8,000-8,800 feet above sea level. Access is via Hwy 67, through a majestic conifer forest and past scenic Jacob Lake.
  • Kanab, Utah - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Kanab,_Utah
    Kanab (/ k ə ˈ n æ b / kə-NAB) is a city in and the county seat of Kane County, Utah, United States. It is located on KanabCreek just north of the Arizona state line. This area was first settled in 1864, and the town was founded in 1870 when ten Latter-Day Saint families moved into the area.
    • Elevation: 4,970 ft (1,515 m)
    • County: Kane
    • State: Utah
    Try running that in reverse direction and see if you can better 17 mpg?

Seems like a neat ride!

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
Drove from Williams AZ via 64 to the southern rim then on to 89 through Marble Canyon, Jacob Lake, Fredonia, Colorado City, Hurricane, St George down past Las Vegas to Jean in one day back in 2015. It sure is high up past the northern rim, mind you so is the southern rim.

Great trip, great scenery.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
Cruise set at 19 should get you ~75 MPG. :ROFLMAO:
Quite possibly, but who wants to drive a car like this at 19? :sleep:

They're so much fun to drive and beg to be driven at 100 or more. Just go and look at You Tube and some of the autobahn runs in these cars in Germany. Saw a video of a 156 hp turbo diesel Opel Insignia wagon top out at 213 kph (132 mph).

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX

They're so much fun to drive and beg to be driven at 100 or more. Just go and look at You Tube and some of the autobahn runs in these cars in Germany. Saw a video of a 156 hp turbo diesel Opel Insignia wagon top out at 213 kph (132 mph).
That's what I love about these cars. I once heard a reviewer say they were "quick, not fast" meaning that it isn't something silly like a Hellcat (that's fast) but that the Regal felt very happy at 3 digit speeds.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership

Coming home from vacation in 2019 I got in a car train of Eurotrash (Merc, BMW, Audi, etc.) on the south side of Nashville. Ran 100+ for over an hour with ease. Felt like we were crawling when the majority pulled off and I slowed back down to 75.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I'm really impressed with what the V6 can do when I'm able to keep my foot off the throttle. I had a 500 mile round trip this weekend and kept the cruise at 85 mph. I was making no attempts to achieve good mileage and even with some strong headwinds the thing averaged 30.5 mpg. That's pretty great for an NA V6 in my opinion. AFM may have some merit afterall.

BennyK

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
I'm really impressed with what the V6 can do when I'm able to keep my foot off the throttle. I had a 500 mile round trip this weekend and kept the cruise at 85 mph. I was making no attempts to achieve good mileage and even with some strong headwinds the thing averaged 30.5 mpg. That's pretty great for an NA V6 in my opinion. AFM may have some merit afterall.
Not to mention one with AWD! Much better than my old '15 GS AWD could manage... I usually got around 26, 28 mpg tops!

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
Did you use regular 87 or 91-93 gas? I get easy 35-38mpg when driving long distance on the interstate. When I drive very long distance 5+ hours I get 42 mpg. I only use premium gas as recommended.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
The GS uses 87 octane while the Sportback and TourX use 93. This is what is remarkable about the GS. It is a heavy car with AWD that is capable of impressive highway fuel economy. There are few, if any, other cars that can do this all while achieving good performance numbers.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Did you use regular 87 or 91-93 gas? I get easy 35-38mpg when driving long distance on the interstate. When I drive very long distance 5+ hours I get 42 mpg. I only use premium gas as recommended.
What @shs92645 said, just good old 87. My all time best is in Post #2 of this thread. I guess I never really mentioned my numbers were achieved with a GS, I kinda figured my profile name and description would give it away!

I know 3.6 isn't as impressive as the 2.0T mpg-wise but I still get excited when I see 30+. I wouldn't know what to do if I saw 40, that's awesome.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!