My 99 Regal LS start times

Buick Ownership
Regal LS
My 99 Regal LS has about 160K on the clock. She seems to have a long crank time first thing in the morning. The rest of the day, she starts perfectly fine. Anybody run into this with their 3.8 Series II Regals? Thanks.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
A guess would be in the fuel area, not knowing anything else about the service history, drop in pressure can be caused by a faulty regulator or a weak pump, or by a clogged filter or injectors. Worn-out spark plugs and wires which will result in longer cranking time also.

Buick Ownership
Buick
1. You can buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and put that in your car. Also try running a full tank or two of highest quality gasoline from one of the majors (Exxon, Shell) as they have uber-sophisticated cleaners.

2. The rear spark plugs & wires of the 3800 are tough to reach so a lot of people don't bother to change them. If you still have the factory ones then they probably need to be changed. If you look at the wires and see numbers (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) then the wires are likely original from 1999.

3. At this car's age and mileage you might want to clean your battery terminals and remove and clean the battery clamps. Retighten.

-- Where possible you might find main grounding points to the body and engine; clean and retighten.

-- Maybe look where the positive battery cable goes; clean and retighten.

-- If you can find the connections to the starter and alternator; clean then retighten.

-- If you have a multimeter, you can do a general test of the battery, alternator, and grounds (see youtube and internet guides)

-- After, get local autoparts store to test both your battery and your alternator.

4. Bonus - I don't think these solve your slow starting issue. But our Regal ran much better after we did some intake cleaning (e.g. new air filter, clean MAF, clean throttle body, clean EGR valve). Note MAF requires a very special MAF cleaner; do not touch the wires inside. You should also use only throttle body cleaner for the throttle body.

Buick Ownership
Regal LS
1. You can buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and put that in your car. Also try running a full tank or two of highest quality gasoline from one of the majors (Exxon, Shell) as they have uber-sophisticated cleaners.

2. The rear spark plugs & wires of the 3800 are tough to reach so a lot of people don't bother to change them. If you still have the factory ones then they probably need to be changed. If you look at the wires and see numbers (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) then the wires are likely original from 1999.

3. At this car's age and mileage you might want to clean your battery terminals and remove and clean the battery clamps. Retighten.

-- Where possible you might find main grounding points to the body and engine; clean and retighten.

-- If you can find the connections to the starter and alternator; clean then retighten.

-- If you have a multimeter, you can do a general test of the battery, alternator, and grounds (see youtube and internet guides)

-- After, get local autoparts store to test both your battery and your alternator.

4. Bonus - I don't think these solve your slow starting issue. But our Regal ran much better after we did some intake cleaning (e.g. new air filter, clean MAF, clean throttle body, clean EGR valve). Note MAF requires a very special MAF cleaner; do not touch the wires inside. You should also use only throttle body cleaner for the throttle body.

From what I can tell, the plugs and wires in the back have been done. I just don't know when. I've replaced the MAF sensor off of an 01 Regal that was junkyard bound after getting smashed from behind. It's a good sensor and saved me a lot of money. The dealer wanted $500 for a new one. I said nope, nevermind. I haven't done the throttle body yet. The fuel pump is a bit noisy but most GM fuel pumps are. Maybe I'll change it out just to eliminate that from the equation. The car really isn't in bad shape at all mechanically speaking, not for 160K on the clock. Just did the water pump and that was honestly a piece of cake on this generation of the 3800. A guy at work actually told me the 3800 was a powerless engine. He seems to think his 88 Geo Metro with the 1.0 in-line 3 with only 62 horsepower will outrun my Regal.

Buick Ownership
Buick
If all six wires match in color, material and wear, there is a good probability the plugs are of the same vintage. If the wires are not original, I would assume the plugs have been changed at least once.

We changed the OEM plugs and wires at about 120k I think; the plugs were in pretty good shape. The gaps were just a bit wider from wear. But the car definitely ran smoother, which I would speculate was due to the wires given condition of plugs. Given the miles on your car, you just don't know condition of wires and plugs until you remove them.

As I noted before our cheap engine "refurb" cost less than $100 and the car runs quiet and smooth; almost like new. It ran fine before but was a bit noisy and not quite as smooth

The 3800 is a pretty peppy engine for a family car.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.