• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

My Buick App - Driving Activity - Smart Driver - Bad Data

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
I like the concept of the "driving activity" and "smart driver" functions of the My Buick app but sadly, the data presented there is often incomplete or inaccurate. I made a 300 mile round trip journey Thursday and the app shows my fuel economy for the day as 19 mpg. When looking at the details of each trip for the day, some of the fuel economy figures are reported as -- which I assume are interpreted as "0" when calculating the overall fuel economy for the day. I have no idea why the fuel economy was not calculated. Is this a common issue or is it just my issue? If it's common, I don't think I would pay for this service from OnStar unless the data presented is consistently accurate. I haven't noticed this issue on past trips - mpg usually shows 30-32 mpg average on highway trips.

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
The data is bs. I can be driving great all day, but if someone whips out in front of you, causing you to hit the breaks hard, your score is trashed.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Not trying to derail original topic, but it does lead me to the related big brother topic:

It seems you can turn off the tracking in the mybuick site, but I think the data is still being stored somewhere and you have only turned off your access to retrieve said data.

In other words... Someone knows if a car was pushed to 130+ mph. It may be OnStar, GM, or whomever owns GPS satellites but it's recorded somewhere whether you want it to be or not.

Any thoughts?

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
It may be OnStar, GM, or whomever owns GPS satellites but it's recorded somewhere whether you want it to be or not.
Not to further derail, but GPS satellites only transmit signals out, there is no communication back from end devices (cars/phones/etc.).

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
I completely believe when it tells be about hard acceleration.
It's not wrong that I am constantly "hard acceleration"-ing, but I disagree that it's worse than these people who drive around like they've got an egg on the accelerator pedal. I also got dinged all the time for hard braking going down this steep grade near my house that has a stop sign at the bottom. To be a better driver in the eye of this thing, I apparently should have ignored the stop sign.

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
The dumb thing is it has asterisks next to most things, like hard acceleration, saying it doesn’t effect the score. It does! Why should we be dinged for hard acceleration while entering the freeway?

Pedal Commander