My first Buick + Issue (Need help)

HawkEyes

Buick Ownership
Regal LS
Hello,
I bought a 2003 Regal LS the other day with 77,000Km/47,000Mi.
When I was driving home on the highway I tried punching it to see how well it accelerated. It didn't.. I was giving it lots of gas and the rpms weren't raising and the car wasn't going any faster. Almost like there was no 4th gear/overdrive. I let off the gas and continued driving at normal speeds and it was okay. I did smell something funky though after that for a little while.

When I got home I did a bit of googling and learnt that the 4th gear clutch hub shaft in the transmission prior to 2003 were not reinforced and the splines wear out. That issue was resolved in later models with GM releasing a hardened or strengthened shaft.

I used my bluetooth OBD2 scanner today and pulled a few codes:
B2957: Security System Sensor Data Circuit Low
P1189: Engine Oil Pressure Switch Circuit; Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit
P0446: Evaporative emission (EVAP) system, vent control - circuit malfunction

Do you think the reason for no 4th/Overdrive is because of the Oil pressure switch / EVAP system circuit and not due to any transmission issues??

Here's a pic of the car:
20210501_195500(2).jpg

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
I would check the vent valve for binding first. May just need cleaning. The vent valve is near your fuel tank.
In regard to the Oil pressure sensor you don't have to go with Delco. I used one from Standard Motor products.

HawkEyes

Buick Ownership
Regal LS
I picked up the Oil pressure sensor. Can I swap it out without removing the tire? I dont have a jack at the moment but I do have ramps.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
This may help

Here's the EVAP system, unfortunately P0446 is not always clear on what part just the code, part# 11 in the first diagram GM 20941985, confirm number if replacement is needed.

0201314W03-028.png 060211MW03-086.png

Most OBD2 scanners will not do transmission codes, but service the known problems and continue from that point.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
I picked up the Oil pressure sensor. Can I swap it out without removing the tire? I dont have a jack at the moment but I do have ramps.
You can do it from below the same way you would change your oil and filter. The sensor is just above your oil filter. Just get the specialty socket as noted in the video. It's about 8-10 bucks at a parts store and is used on a lot of different makes hence the two-step design.

HawkEyes

Buick Ownership
Regal LS
You can do it from below the same way you would change your oil and filter. The sensor is just above your oil filter. Just get the specialty socket as noted in the video. It's about 8-10 bucks at a parts store and is used on a lot of different makes hence the two-step design.
Alright thanks. I bought the specialty socket tonight. Will get it swapped out tomorrow. I live in a condo and cant work on my car here so will have to go to my grandmas place.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Alright thanks. I bought the specialty socket tonight. Will get it swapped out tomorrow. I live in a condo and cant work on my car here so will have to go to my grandmas place.
I hear you. I used to live in an apartment complex about 15 years ago. I used to take my car to my brother's house to do any work needing jack stands.

BTW it's especially important due to the age of the vehicle. I had one rupture once in downtown Brooklyn and had to get the car towed 22 miles to my driveway..

Last edited:

HawkEyes

Buick Ownership
Regal LS
I hear you. I used to live in an apartment complex about 15 years ago. I used to take my car to my brother's house to do any work needing jack stands.

BTW it's especially important due to the age of the vehicle. I had one rupture once in downtown Brooklyn and had to get the car towed 22 miles to my driveway..
Yeah it sucks. Cant wait for the day I have my own garage.

You had a Oil pressure sensor rupture?

HawkEyes

Buick Ownership
Regal LS
Yikes. Yeah you were very lucky. Could of had an expensive tow bill to.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Yikes. Yeah you were very lucky. Could of had an expensive tow bill to.
My roadside service through State Farm insurance covered all or most of it. This happened several years ago so I don't remember the exact cost but it wasn't a lot.
Could have been more expensive if it happened on the highway. ;)

Get your turbo buick badge right here!