• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

My opinion on Fake Tailpipes on TourX has changed...

Pathy01

I definitely agree on all points here. I'm a convert as well to being a fan of it being executed this way. Any of the styles where you can see the small round pipe inside the stylized "exhaust outlet" look awful. I'll be happy not to have the step of using chrome polish to get the buildup off the tailpipes at every wash like I did on my GTI.

e2m

Michigan
I just wish it made a little noise, but I am ok with the fake tips as well.
Are there any aftermarket exhaust options available for the TourX?

Many manufacturers resort to playing fake engine/exhaust sounds in the cabin these days - I guess that's cheaper than sport exhaust, and it can be turned off if not needed.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
When I first noticed the fake tailpipes I thought that is lame!
But after not having to clean residue off them, I changed my mind.
Agreed.
Now that I've washed the new TourX a few times, and not having to break out separate materials to clean them, my view of them is softening. I do miss clearly seeing the 2 separate exhaust vapor emission flows behind me at a light or while backing, when it's cold out. Not really a big deal though, it's not really dual exhaust anyway

Pathy01

Are there any aftermarket exhaust options available for the TourX?

Many manufacturers resort to playing fake engine/exhaust sounds in the cabin these days - I guess that's cheaper than sport exhaust, and it can be turned off if not needed.
Given the low sales volumes and the TourX generally not being a performance vehicle, I'd say it's unlikely we'll see any type of cat-back or axle-back system anytime soon. I did a quick search for an Opel/Vauxhall exhaust, but only found for the prior generation car. To get a bit more sounds I'd say a simple muffler swap is probably gonna be the best bet. There also looks to be a resonator in the mid pipe that could be eliminated or swapped as well.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Not sure a muffler swap is going to be straight forward. When I did the hitch I assumed there would be a flange for each can. But at least on mine the two cans were welded to a Y and I did not see a flange before it disappeared in the support framing.

Pathy01

Not sure a muffler swap is going to be straight forward. When I did the hitch I assumed there would be a flange for each can. But at least on mine the two cans were welded to a Y and I did not see a flange before it disappeared in the support framing.
It sounds like you're thinking of an axle back system where you unbolt the muffler and tip at a flange just ahead of the muffler and replace with a direct fit replacement. Any muffler shop should be able to cut out the muffler and weld in something else to suit your volume and tone preference. It's not going to be a bolt in option.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
It sounds like you're thinking of an axle back system where you unbolt the muffler and tip at a flange just ahead of the muffler and replace with a direct fit replacement. Any muffler shop should be able to cut out the muffler and weld in something else to suit your volume and tone preference. It's not going to be a bolt in option.
My last wagon had a cat back, but Subaru's had a lot of aftermarket potential/options. I am just saying based on what I saw I don't think axle back will be an option without custom work. For me this makes it basically a no go. Being a wagon we are more likely to experience drone with the cargo area completely open. I don't mind switching mufflers in and out to find the right set, but custom work starts to get expensive if you have to modify the pipework each time.

Pathy01

My last wagon had a cat back, but Subaru's had a lot of aftermarket potential/options. I am just saying based on what I saw I don't think axle back will be an option without custom work. For me this makes it basically a no go. Being a wagon we are more likely to experience drone with the cargo area completely open. I don't mind switching mufflers in and out to find the right set, but custom work starts to get expensive if you have to modify the pipework each time.
Yeah we're not gonna have anywhere near the aftermarket support as Subaru. I do miss the rumble of my old STI with Corsa exhaust. Their RSC technology made for drone free cruising, and then it ripped on acceleration. I'm thinking that perhaps looking at Camaro 2.0T exhaust options might give a sense of sound profiles and then seeing if the mufflers might work on our car. Otherwise, as you said, it could be a lot of trial and error with plenty of labor costs if you don't know what setup you want.

Last edited:

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
I think it would need 8 cylinders to sound good for all the $$ you'd have to put in to get some exhaust sound

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I do miss the ruble of my old STI with Corsa exhaust. Their RSC technology made for drone free cruising, and then it ripped on acceleration. I'm thinking that perhaps looking at Camaro 2.0T exhaust options might give a sense of sound profiles and then seeing if the mufflers might work on our car.
Yeah the boxer rumble is somewhat magical. For me it sounded good, not big V8 good but so much better than any other 4 cylinder out there. I have listened to several Camaro videos and not to enthusiastic about what I heard. Maybe they were crappy recordings but most sounded like they were trying too hard to make sound and missed quality of sound. Probably need to hear them in person.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Take off the turbo and run a straight pipe.

Yes, I have massive hearing damage. 😶

Do you guys have any local shops that would build you the exhaust you wanted? I’ve done this on other builds and typically the cost is the same or cheaper than buying a prefab kit.

Last edited:

Pathy01

Yeah the boxer rumble is somewhat magical. For me it sounded good, not big V8 good but so much better than any other 4 cylinder out there. I have listened to several Camaro videos and not to enthusiastic about what I heard. Maybe they were crappy recordings but most sounded like they were trying too hard to make sound and missed quality of sound. Probably need to hear them in person.
That's what I've noticed too, so I'm thinking I may just enjoy the quiet for now. Borla also has an S-Type exhaust for the Malibu 2.0T that sounds ok, but not really what I'd be looking for.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Take off the turbo and run a straight pipe.

Yes, I have massive hearing damage. 😶

Do you guys have any local shops that would build you the exhaust you wanted? I’ve done this on other builds and typically the cost is the same or cheaper than buying a prefab kit.
There are shops nearby that would do this but they are expensive. I have friends that could weld stuff up for me but I would be limited to prefabbed pieces and with the limited room under there I don't think it is a viable option.
That's what I've noticed too, so I'm thinking I may just enjoy the quiet for now. Borla also has an S-Type exhaust for the Malibu 2.0T that sounds ok, but not really what I'd be looking for.
I will have to check out other GM 2.0T vehicles to see what they sound like...or like you say just enjoy the silence.

gmejia324

Buick Ownership
TourX
Maybe I'm in the minority but fake exhaust pipe outrage always seemed silly to me on regular passenger vehicles like TourX. Inexcusable in a performance model but the TourX is not that. As for exhaust, find a shop that does custom mandrel bent exhausts and a good Borla muffler. I had this done on a heavily modified turboed Toyota Tercel because there were no aftermarket parts for that car here either. I think it ran me like $400 at the time.

Last edited:

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
I got so used to the awesome aftermarket muffler of my Genesis 2.0T (not the same engine of course) that the TourX's silence isn't cutting it for me. I think I'll take the route mentioned above about listening to other modded GM 2.0T's and going from there. Also, I did see a diagram of the rear bumper where the fake exhaust inserts can be removed (looks like they're just "snapped in" maybe). Not doing this anytime soon, but I may have to take some measurements and see if exhaust tips can fit through that opening.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It appears as the Ventiport trend started every manufacturer tossing nonfunctional side grilles so goes the faux exhaust.
abe743bc-fake-exhausts-mercgle-02-1024x683.jpg

Turbo Buick Badge