• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

My TourX Spare Tire Journey

Ruesselsheimer2001

Sustaining Member
Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
Thanks to all on the Forums for advice, especially EDM56.

I searched www.car-part.com for a 2018, 2019, 2020 Chevrolet Equinox T125/70R17 donut spare tire. There was a redesign of the Equinox in 2018 – and it’s one of the top selling Chevys – so I focused on 2018-19 and they were available at local yards. This was the first time I used the car-part.com site and it saved a lot of time tracking the available tires – amazing! I still called to verify availability, but I had a number to choose from, and could haggle a bit. I ended up with one from a 2019 Equinox.

Spare.jpg

I paid about $100. A little high, but it was new and unused. I was surprised that jack kits were hard to find. I stopped at Harbor Freight on the way back home and picked up their scissor jack (not in the car section, but in the trailer section of the store), a 18in breaker bar, and 19mm long socket. Spent a little over $50 at HF.

At home, I had a little clean up and topped up the air in the spare before I got started.

One issue everyone has mentioned was how to handle the gap under the spare. I used some pieces of high-density foam (recycled from some old packing material) as leveling blocks. I used 6 pieces. One to be a spacer at the top of the tire. And then I gorilla glued 5 pieces together in a little stack: four pieces as a base, and a longer piece across the top as a bridge. I put his contraption at the deepest spot that needed to be “built up” and where a lot of the weight of the spare would be. I used 2-sided carpet tape to stick the foam pieces to the car.

Leveling Blocks Under Spare.jpg

Crop.jpg

Truthfully, I had to take the spare in and out a number of times to make sure these leveling blocks were positioned where they needed to be – some eyeballing, some jiggling – I just wanted this locked down tight with no rattles.

I also put some soft foam under the subwoofer to prevent any car rattles OR weird subwoofer vibrations, so I put some sticky-backed memory foam along the bottom. I’m sure everyone has some of this lying around ;-) but some weatherproofing foam tape would work just fine, too.

Foam Under Subwoofer.jpg

Everything fit fine, that spare tire well is huge (I guess it could fit a larger tire). The subwoofer fit right back in nicely.
Putting it All Together Again.jpg

I wrapped the breaker bar and socket and put all my crap back on top. The breaker bar went on the left side, you can see the jack in the box (ha ha) and how it fits in there. I jammed the inflator and tire goop around the tire (why not?) you can see the bubble wrap in the lower left. And there's my towel, picnic blanket, tarp, ice scraper, etc. I wanted to show how much stuff could fit in there.

Filling the Opening.jpg

The total job took about an hour. Been driving it for a few weeks now. No rattles. The subwoofer is still booming. I have more peace of mind now knowing I won’t have to deal with (or “help” Roadside Assistance use) that fix a flat stuff.

All Done.jpg
I haven’t checked front wheel brake caliper clearance with the spare – most folks on this board says its fine. If it’s not, I’ll be moving tires twice. But that’s OK.

Thanks again to the Buick Forums Community for the help and inspiration to get this done (finally).

ZB Commodore Owner

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
Another thread here
and here

Ruesselsheimer2001

Sustaining Member
Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
Cheers! There are a number of great threads that have similar content -- and props to all the contributors -- but I had quite a time going thru all the literally dozens of pages and distilling it down. This was just my attempt to do a step-by-step with photos.

mdwitte

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX - September 2019
Thank you for all the info. We just had a flat with the included sealant/pump not fixing the issue, so required a tow and 2 tires w/26K on my '19 TourX. I am considering getting a spare/jack/wrench, available through ebay for circa $235.00. I was concerned about the speaker and mounting as well, thanks for the pictures too.

Ruesselsheimer2001

Sustaining Member
Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
Thank you for all the info. We just had a flat with the included sealant/pump not fixing the issue, so required a tow and 2 tires w/26K on my '19 TourX. I am considering getting a spare/jack/wrench, available through ebay for circa $235.00. I was concerned about the speaker and mounting as well, thanks for the pictures too.
Good luck! I'm no mechanic. I think if you have access to a good junkyard -- you could use the car-part.com website and find a compatible spare. Then with a Harbor Freight store nearby, you could do the whole thing I did for around $150 (and some repurposed foam).

G-994098

Good luck! I'm no mechanic. I think if you have access to a good junkyard -- you could use the car-part.com website and find a compatible spare. Then with a Harbor Freight store nearby, you could do the whole thing I did for around $150 (and some repurposed foam).
I'm having trouble figuring out just what tire size I should get. Yours looks like T125 70R17 98M. an Ebay user is selling 2 sets one for the TourX and another for the Sportback, but the tires are different sizes? I've also found all sorts of sizes on Tire Rack for Continental, Goodyear, and Maxxis?, but no fitment guide, and since the TourX didn't come with them, the Tire Spec sticker isn't any help.

2018 TourX in Texas

Capital idea !
Our TourX is only driven locally short trips for now, but in future once that changes I'll be sure to do this.

In 8 years of driving my Mercedes-Benz e320 Wagon I've had 2 flats (in 130,000 miles driven) and appreciated the FULL sized spare that they manage to fit INSIDE the DS Rear cargo area.
[highly shoehorned in there]

I know this is a space saver spare but still beats the sealant & pump (which are no guarantee of success).
Very cool that Subwoofer still fits.
TY for engineering this.
David

mdwitte

Illinois
Buick Ownership

mdwitte

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I did some research this AM on Tire Rack and found the tire diameter of the standard tires 235 50R18 is 27.3", so a better spare size would be T135 90R17 at 26.6" diameter. The T125 70R17 is 23.9". The Ebay seller has a bias tire in that size listed for the TourX, I'm not sure how a bias (D17) tire got there, and it probably won't make a big difference for a short run, but I asked if he had a T135 90R17 spare instead.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Ruesselsheimer2001

Sustaining Member
Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
I did some research this AM on Tire Rack and found the tire diameter of the standard tires 235 50R18 is 27.3", so a better spare size would be T135 90R17 at 26.6" diameter. The T125 70R17 is 23.9". The Ebay seller has a bias tire in that size listed for the TourX, I'm not sure how a bias (D17) tire got there, and it probably won't make a big difference for a short run, but I asked if he had a T135 90R17 spare instead.
Let us know how that tire works and how much space it takes in the well. Also, make sure the bolt locations match up. Good luck!

TourXed

Buick Ownership
19 TourX
T135 90R17 at 26.6" diameter is the spare I selected since the TourX has a larger tire installed compared to its European cousin' Disappointingly, it will not fit in the well....oh well, we have a spare...and if you find a spare in a junk yard look for the jack. I found one that was never used and perfect for the TourX, it came out of a 90's Buick LaSabre...

ZB Commodore Owner

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
The largest tyre you will be able to fit in the spare wheel well is a T125 70R17. This is the OEM size supplied with some of the ZB Commodores including those with AWD. It is listed in the Owners Manual

There are limitations on speed and I think distance but I can't see it being a problem using the T125 70R17 with the AWD system.

ZB Commodore Owner

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
The largest tyre you will be able to fit in the spare wheel well is a T125 70R17. This is the OEM size supplied with some of the ZB Commodores including those with AWD. It is listed in the Owners Manual

There are limitations on speed and I think distance but I can't see it being a problem using the T125 70R17 with the AWD system.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence, 1985 Skyhawk T-Type, 1982 Regal Coupe, 1970 Skylark sedan
Careful of the spare wheel's lug-hole locations (I forget the term at this point). What is that term and the required spec for that? Thanks.

I got a spare (wheel with tire, jack, etc) that an experienced auto-parts-from-other-cars person got for more us. It fit in the well, but when I went to put the spare on the car, lugs didn't line-up with holes in the spare wheel

Ruesselsheimer2001

Sustaining Member
Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
T
Careful of the spare wheel's lug-hole locations (I forget the term at this point). What is that term and the required spec for that? Thanks.

I got a spare (wheel with tire, jack, etc) that an experienced auto-parts-from-other-cars person got for more us. It fit in the well, but when I went to put the spare on the car, lugs didn't line-up with holes in the spare wheel
That's why I created the post. The Chevy Equinox spare from the 2018+ model years (after the 2018 redesign) will fit the lug pattern. It should be the same spare through 2023 at least, but there are plenty of 2018-9 Equinox spares out there. The GMC Terrain spare from that era should fit, too.