• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Mystery of the False Window

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
I love my Sportback, but now that I’ve noticed this, I can’t unsee it! That tiny side window (circled) isn’t even a window. If you try to look through it from the outside, it a black void. Inside, it’s part of the pilar 😡 Why did Buick do this to us? It would have increased visibility. I guess they wanted the windows to look streamlined? From the side, it would be the third section of the back passenger window.

3D5B56EA-307D-4998-B979-DE60FFC6081C.jpeg11DC23C5-9DFB-45B6-81FC-8982BF3B5546.jpeg

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
I know it’s for aesthetics, I just think it should be a glass window. Can’t believe it took me six months to notice it wasn’t.

landsharkmz3

The car would be weaker if that was a window. It would make the C pillar very thin, especially since its a hatch rear.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
That is a little annoying, but it's not nearly as bad as it was on the first Chevy Cruze. That one was just egregious.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I think it's uncommon for a car maker to offer a four-door sedan or hatch with four distinct windows on each side. My car is one of the few models I've seen with that treatment. The Regal's rear side windows are divided only so the main glass drops most or all the way into the door, if desired.

If the C-pillars were thinner with openings for two more windows, the roof strength might have been less than the present design in the event of a rollover crash but then again, that's just my thought. I'm no engineer or designer.

When the Sportback debuted, I noted the black appliqué, too, but my first thought was, "It's not as tacky as the one on the first-generation Cruze" and now, the new Cadillac CT5.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I think it would look better gone too, just have stronger looking pillar all body color.
But then I am not the best at trying to visualize things, I need to see it in real life.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
As others have said, they had to do a thick pillar to increase the strength. Especially because with the hatch design there is no structure between the cabin and trunk like with a conventional sedan.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I think it would look better gone too, just have stronger looking pillar all body color.
But then I am not the best at trying to visualize things, I need to see it in real life.
Interesting idea so I ran with it. Don't judge my MS Paint handiwork. I think it definitely needs the applique there. Looks a little too much like a Saturn Ion back there without it.
1565877832661.png
Would I have preferred more visibility out of a window that could have been there? Absolutely. I am by no means bothered that it's not a real window however. I love the way it looks. As others have already said, it's a much better than the new Civic, Accord, and CT5 with their "eyeliner" look.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
Interesting idea so I ran with it. Don't judge my MS Paint handiwork. I think it definitely needs the applique there. Looks a little too much like a Saturn Ion back there without it.
View attachment 17740
Would I have preferred more visibility out of a window that could have been there? Absolutely. I am by no means bothered that it's not a real window however. I love the way it looks. As others have already said, it's a much better than the new Civic, Accord, and CT5 with their "eyeliner" look.
Is that the Mackinac Bridge there?

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
I love the picture and the place. I was born in Lansing and have family all over MI. We used to drive up to the U.P. a lot when I was a kid and visit the copper mines and search the ground with our metal detectors for copper. There was a place somewhere around the bridge that sells salt water taffy. I can't remember the name of the place to save my life, but that taffy was the highlight of our trip every time.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Thanks looks good..what were they not thinking?
Looks swopier I guess with stock no glass.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
View attachment 17740
the edited (2nd) pic looks a lot like a 4 door Infiniti G35 in the parking lot here at work.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
View attachment 17740
As the former owner of a pair of Ions, I object! :) Your "after" pic is more like Nissan's sixth-gen Sentra.

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
It wouldn’t have fit in my garage 🙃 the Sportback pushed the limit - I got the side with the washer and dryer.

Pedal Commander