Nav system enhancement?

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
When I took my 2011 LaCrosse into the dealership this week for them to update the nav/radio software, they confirmed it needed updated. The invoice said "8942 Found radio nav system software causing multiple issues 109R0759.4 programmed radio with updated system check after programming. All ok at this time contacted engineer to check nav disclaimer message was told by engineer nav system will show disclaimer every 30 drive cycles this is normal operation at the disclamer screen cust will have to select ok to continue to nav screen this is normal and not able to eliminate.

So on the ride home, I hop on the 101 here in AZ and I have the nave screen set for the full screen (which is what I prefer). Then, out of nowhere, on the right half of the screen, exit information comes up and stays up. It tells me the next 3 exits, what's available there and the distance. But I can't get it to go away.

I'm not sure I like or dislike it, but I liked the full nav screen better (at least right now). I've looked through the system completely and can't find anything to eliminate that at all. I'm not seeing POIs at all. No gas station icons on the map or anything, but the exit info is on whenever i'm on a highway. It's really strange and I'm wondering if this is part of some new software enhancement that they put on for me. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
John

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
2010 nav here...but when the split screen appears...doesn't a type of 'split' icon appear near the bottom left of the display? Hitting that will return a full screen for me. Also....if you're not on a freeway you'll never get the split screen as there are no exits per se mapped in.

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
I believe both of you are/were right, but this case is different. I'll need to take a picture and upload it for everyone to see. First, you can, through the nav system, turn on POIs like gas stations, restaurants, etc. That is currently turned off on my unit. I checked it straight after seeing this.

At the bottom of the screen I have a button called exit info (I think). I push it and I get an expanded detail of what's on the exit ahead, but there is no button to make the split screen go away.

The radio use to have 3 modes. First was just radio only. Second was radio on the left half and nav on the right half of the screen. Third was full nav screen. If full nav mode, when you were approaching a turn on the route, you would see the turn info come up in the right half of the screen. I've not tried it yet to see if that still works. But I've never seen the three exit screen before.

John

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Here are 2 pictures from the nav for everyone to see. In pic 1, you can see the exit info on the right hand side. At the bottom right is a button for exit info. I pushed that and then took picture 2. But I see no way to remove that from the system.

If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know.

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
Here are 2 pictures from the nav for everyone to see. In pic 1, you can see the exit info on the right hand side. At the bottom right is a button for exit info. I pushed that and then took picture 2. But I see no way to remove that from the system.

If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know.

Thanks,
John

If I push the rectangular box on the bottom left when in that mode, it will return to full screen......when on full screen that box will be split in 2....meaning if you push it you'll get the 1/2 screen.

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Shoman90, I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to. I usually drive with my nav on full screen mode. Then when I pull onto the freeway, I get the exit in showing up on the right half of the screen. This happens by default.

You mentioned a button on the bottom left, but I don't have any buttons on the bottom left. The only thing down there is the distance (legend) indicator that allows you to select the viewing distance 300 feet, 1 mile, 3 mile, etc.

Which button on the bottom left are you talking about? When in full screen, I can press the large blue button at the top and move to a split screen and then I can press that same location again and go from split screen to full screen.

Hope that made sense.
John

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
Shoman90, I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to. I usually drive with my nav on full screen mode. Then when I pull onto the freeway, I get the exit in showing up on the right half of the screen. This happens by default.

You mentioned a button on the bottom left, but I don't have any buttons on the bottom left. The only thing down there is the distance (legend) indicator that allows you to select the viewing distance 300 feet, 1 mile, 3 mile, etc.

Which button on the bottom left are you talking about? When in full screen, I can press the large blue button at the top and move to a split screen and then I can press that same location again and go from split screen to full screen.

Hope that made sense.
John

The rectangular touch screen box right right above the tach like distance indicator.

Did you know you can dial the distance in and out by turning the big selector knob....quite handy we found

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Shoman90, you nailed it. I looked and looked, but that rectangle box just didn't jump out at me. But I found it on the ride home tonight and sure enough, it clears the split screen and back to full screen I am. It's helpful to know I can hit that button when I'm traveling and find things based on that exit info. Wish they made the nav system easier to understand. Sometimes I think engineers spend no time with customers and they build things they think are great but it's not at all what the customer is looking for.

Also, I did know that you can turn the knob and adjust the distance. I stumbled on that one day while playing with the nav system shortly after buying the vehicle.

Thanks for the suggestion.
John

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
Shoman90, you nailed it. I looked and looked, but that rectangle box just didn't jump out at me. But I found it on the ride home tonight and sure enough, it clears the split screen and back to full screen I am. It's helpful to know I can hit that button when I'm traveling and find things based on that exit info. Wish they made the nav system easier to understand. Sometimes I think engineers spend no time with customers and they build things they think are great but it's not at all what the customer is looking for.

Also, I did know that you can turn the knob and adjust the distance. I stumbled on that one day while playing with the nav system shortly after buying the vehicle.

Thanks for the suggestion.
John

You're welcome. Glad there was no gremlin in there. Remember that I don't think you get a split screen option when driving in the hinterland on 2 lane roads. ie....no freeways with mapped exits. I thought ours was busted when I could not get the split screen back...but that was the reason....no exits to show.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!