• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Navigation Loading/Navigation Won’t Start/Slow to Start When Ignition Is First Turned On

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
GM just keeps working hard to make it easier and easier to walk away. No need for me to darken the door of a GMC, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet dealership.
Our OTA updates will never work. I've been told there are no intentions to get it working for our vehicles either.
The only OTA updates that work so far are for the in car apps. I was told the OS update files are too big to do OTA. I know one major one took over almost 2 hours for dealer to install via USB hardwire, but later one, 22.10, was much quicker. I'd like it to do OTA and save a trip to dealer, but I'd also not like to have the infotainment brick while trying to update, especially while driving. Given how buggy it can be I could see that happening. OTOH if someone could get access to the files we could all just do update at home.

Last edited:

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Here is the thing though.
Neighbor's Equinox updated their radio/infotainment via OTA.
The USB update is not the same as OTA. Think your phone's OTA versus a full image clean install.
For example, the iOS 14.8 ipsw file is close to 5 GB, but the OTA update is far less than that.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Yeah I am not entirely sure what the technical reasons are for ours not working as advertised. All I was told at the dealership, by a tech, was that when they try to perform OTA updates on Buick, Cadillac, and I believe even GMC, the infotainment screen freezes or goes black. It's so unreliable GM has simply opted to disable the service for our architecture and have chosen to go the USB update route.

I cannot explain why some Chevrolets have no issues updating OTA while the other GM brands do.

Current (2021+ model year) vehicles that come equipped with OTA capabilities are having issues still. The new Tahoe/Suburban and Yukon/XL have an active TSB for OTA update failures. Even the Corvette C8 is having issues. One C8 owner's car won't even turn on or turn over after a failed update. Another owner chimed in saying they had the same issue and had to have theirs towed to the dealer.

If those are the kinds of problems that exist with OTA updates still, I'm ok with driving it into the dealer to have them update via USB.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I want to avoid the stealerships as much as I can.
Dropping off the vehicle for service and all I got is a shuttle ride home and hope they get it done same day.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had to take my car to the dealer 3 times for them to do the 22.10 update...3 times! I even brought the bulletin. Needless to say I have not been i.pressed with the service quality. And waiting sufficient time to boot doesn't fix reverse line issues. I can drive the car for 30 minutes and still have reverse lines disappear. When they do the screen resolutions changes too. It's pretty regular on mine. Nav won't load a few days in a row, then it loads fine. Bluetooth audio dropouts are the same. Some days it's a mess, some days it's not an issue.

Yesterday I had a new one...it froze on the home screen, but I could still change stations with the steering wheel controls and the physical buttons under the radio. I could see the home screen by busing the home button, and it would go between the home screen and the app screen, but the touch screen would not respond. Also, at the bottom of the screen where you normally see the audio phone and nav buttons, it looked like it does when it's in reverse, where you can turn on and off the reverse lines. It's just an Android operating system. I don't know why it's so efing hard to fix PXL_20211013_192646815.jpg

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I had to take my car to the dealer 3 times for them to do the 22.10 update...3 times! I even brought the bulletin. Needless to say I have not been i.pressed with the service quality. And waiting sufficient time to boot doesn't fix reverse line issues. I can drive the car for 30 minutes and still have reverse lines disappear. When they do the screen resolutions changes too. It's pretty regular on mine. Nav won't load a few days in a row, then it loads fine. Bluetooth audio dropouts are the same. Some days it's a mess, some days it's not an issue.

Yesterday I had a new one...it froze on the home screen, but I could still change stations with the steering wheel controls and the physical buttons under the radio. I could see the home screen by busing the home button, and it would go between the home screen and the app screen, but the touch screen would not respond. Also, at the bottom of the screen where you normally see the audio phone and nav buttons, it looked like it does when it's in reverse, where you can turn on and off the reverse lines. It's just an Android operating system. I don't know why it's so efing hard to fix View attachment 33747
"Android? That got somethin' to do with the Terminator or sumthin'?" - GM Dealership Tech.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners