Navigation Retrofit - Lacrosse Thread

TheRaven

Fleetwood, PA
2011 Lacross CXL
It's about time I start up a thread in the right section. Over in the Regal section i've been posting about my progress with my Navigation system retrofit in my 2011 CXL. Nothing against you guys, there has just been more activity over there. But now i'm bringing this project to the right place.

The short of it - I have a complete 2012 Lacrosse Nav system (the UYS option) that I am installing in my car. It's quite a process, but i'm documenting everything so that others can benefit. It requires quite a bit of wiring...i've actually created an adapter harness so that I will be able to swap the old system back in for dealer visits and whatnot.

As of last night, I have the harness completed and I have completed a successful test run in the car...

The unit fires up, the display works, the controls work, and the unit is communicating on the GMLAN network.

From here, this is what I have left to accomplish:
- Unlock unit
- Install GPS antenna
- Terminate VSS wire (and determine if it's even necessary)
- Test TCIM functionality (could be another can of worms)

I've got a close fried who is a GM master tech, and he is coming over this weekend to unlock the unit for me. Then i'm going to start testing and see what's left to work out.

I'm going to keep this thread as an open forum for questions and collaborations on this project. After this is complete, I have several other "upgrades" that I plan to do, like the heated wheel, color cluster display, and HIDs. With your help, i'll get them all figured out and write up how-tos for each project.

scandalous

Texas
2012 Buick LaCrosse eAssist
Sounds good, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Every car I have ever owned had a big aftermarket so upgrades we're easy to come by. On the LaCrosse its a whole different ball game and everything needs to be custom made or fit which is good because it makes the car unique.

SteakNEggs

2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL (Out of warranty)
From here, this is what I have left to accomplish:
- Unlock unit
- Install GPS antenna
- Terminate VSS wire (and determine if it's even necessary)
- Test TCIM functionality (could be another can of worms)
What is the TCIM? Are you thinking the unit could use gps instead of speed sensor to determine speed/movement?

TheRaven

Fleetwood, PA
2011 Lacross CXL
What is the TCIM? Are you thinking the unit could use gps instead of speed sensor to determine speed/movement?
TCIM = TelecommunCations Interface Module

The Nav unit CAN use the GPS sensor without the VSS signal, just like any other nav unit on the planet. I just don't know how well it works that way. I'm going to try it, because terminating the VSS wire is a big project in itself.

SteakNEggs

Hmmm.. Maybe the polling interval is fine, maybe they just included vss for obstructed areas such as major cities and tunnels?

If you can map your self on the open road just fine without it, my guess is when you loose GPS your vehicle will just jump around the map without vss...

Very interesting stuff here, can't wait to see how it all works out!

TheRaven

Fleetwood, PA
2011 Lacross CXL
stupid question....
why not upgrade to the 2013 NAv system instead of the ill-fated 2012 system?
It's simple...find one.

I will lay out the process for that unit too (it's different). However the real trick is going to be finding the unit itself. You can order it brand new from GM (4-6 weeks delivery right now) for $2800 (then you will still need the screen, $500, and the controls, $300) if you like. But at that price, you might as well just go trade up your car for a 2013. I got my entire 2012 unit (box, screen, controls, and bezel) for $580. I was completely unable to source a single 2013 nav unit anywhere outside of GM, at any price. I imagine a year from now, they should be available on ebay, and at that point, I will probably upgrade.

The biggest reasons i'm doing this upgrade is just to have the map display (I have navigation in all my other vehicles and I might have used the actual navigating function 3 times last year, but I use the map for a visual reference ALL THE TIME), and to be able to navigate my music more easily. The base radio sucks in that regard.

Last edited:

Bear442

Buick
understood,
My issue with the 2012, you can read my thread, I am not alone. I have driven over 25 2012 cars with nav to build my case and they all had what I have. Great system with a very few numbers for routes and interstate numbers, but has all the street NAMES.
no one else seems to mind, I do when a $49 dollar hand held unit out performs a high dollar option, it just is not right!!.
look at the pictures on my thread of the 2012 vs 2013 units. I was sitting right besid the 2013 when I took the shots.

Every car I looked at had the same screen missing route number. Now they are a few that pop up now and then.....

hope all good well with your install...Have a Happy Fathers Day.....

TheRaven

Fleetwood, PA
2011 Lacross CXL
understood,
My issue with the 2012, you can read my thread, I am not alone. I have driven over 25 2012 cars with nav to build my case and they all had what I have. Great system with a very few numbers for routes and interstate numbers, but has all the street NAMES.
no one else seems to mind, I do when a $49 dollar hand held unit out performs a high dollar option, it just is not right!!.
look at the pictures on my thread of the 2012 vs 2013 units. I was sitting right besid the 2013 when I took the shots.

Every car I looked at had the same screen missing route number. Now they are a few that pop up now and then.....

hope all good well with your install...Have a Happy Fathers Day.....
I have yet to see an OEM infotainment system that can hold a candle to any of the good aftermarket options (and that includes SYNC, iDrive, MMA, CUE...etc). If it were possible to put a Pioneer AVIC in the Lacrosse I would do that in a second. I don't understand why the automakers just don't partner with a good aftermarket brand...they put Bose and Harman Kardon sound systems in...why won't they just go to Pioneer/Kenwood/Alpine and say "here's the car, you are responsible for nav and infotainment". That would be ideal I would think, the aftermarket integrator could then handle the entire system start to finish - head unit, amp, speakers..everything. Ford and Kenwood have partnered to make Kenwood units able to communicate on Ford's vehicle LAN. This is a great start, however it's still not ideal because standard double din units don't fit well in many cars because of the way the controls are set up. Instead we are stuck with $4000 OEM systems that get embarassed by $1000 aftermarket units and $100 handheld nav units.

Bear442

Buick
two weeks ago I bought my wife a Toyota, was going to buy her a Buick Verano, but with this runaround I decided to not to buy another Buick, anyway her GPS unit it wonderful, any street or road that has a route number is listed on the gps. Same with my Son, he just bought a Honda, his GPS is wonderful, and the car I traded in for this Buick, Nissan, its gps was wonderful. So GM just doesn't get it and does not want to step up and do anything for us. They know they have an isssue. This may be my last GM vehicle...But, have to say, I love the rest of the car....

TheRaven

Fleetwood, PA
2011 Lacross CXL
two weeks ago I bought my wife a Toyota, was going to buy her a Buick Verano, but with this runaround I decided to not to buy another Buick, anyway her GPS unit it wonderful, any street or road that has a route number is listed on the gps. Same with my Son, he just bought a Honda, his GPS is wonderful, and the car I traded in for this Buick, Nissan, its gps was wonderful. So GM just doesn't get it and does not want to step up and do anything for us. They know they have an isssue. This may be my last GM vehicle...But, have to say, I love the rest of the car....
Disagree. My mother's 2013 Accord has possibly the worst nav unit i've encountered yet. The Maxima she had before that was almost as bad (we both remarked that we didn't think it was possible to find a worse GPS than what she had in her Maxima...well the Honda proved us wrong. In fact, the only Nav system i've found that I like better than GM's offerings is Ford's Sync. But that's not saying much though...it's like the best of the worst.

Clearly you've never used a Pioneer AVIC. If you ever get the chance, you'll instantly understand where i'm coming from. Like the iPhone back in 2007, there's just no competition.

SteakNEggs

Doesn't Chrysler use Garmin? It takes a long time to find POIs in say a 300, but never had any issues with it.. Actually enjoyed the integration into the DIC as well!

Bear442

Buick
Raven

I was not implying they were superior to one another, I was just comparing what was appering on the screen. All the other systems showed route numbers and interstate numbers. As for performance and user friendly... I aggree that is another issue and personal preference.

but when you line all these cars up...and we did....in the driveway and look at the screens adjusted to the same distance...the Buick has no route number....
look at the picture I posted....

LaCrosseCXS'11

Buick
+1 on the Pioneer AVIC units. I installed one in the Lincoln LSE and it performed flawlessly and had the added bonus of syncing with XM's NavTraffic service. Saved me a ton of commute time and needless headaches with accidents/road closures/backups.

92sub

Motor City
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
This may be my last GM vehicle...But, have to say, I love the rest of the car....
I find this very humorous......that GPS is going to make or break your decision about a vehicle purchase. Not if it lasts, rides good, looks good or is a good value......just what I consider a minor option....navigation. I'm not saying it's not important to you but rather it just shows how far we've come.....something that can be replaced with a $100 aftermarket unit and not too long ago was solved with a FREE gas station map. We are so spoiled today.

TheRaven

Fleetwood, PA
2011 Lacross CXL
I find this very humorous......that GPS is going to make or break your decision about a vehicle purchase. Not if it lasts, rides good, looks good or is a good value......just what I consider a minor option....navigation. I'm not saying it's not important to you but rather it just shows how far we've come.....something that can be replaced with a $100 aftermarket unit and not too long ago was solved with a FREE gas station map. We are so spoiled today.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. If a minor flaw in one of the vehicle's optional features is enough to get you to write off an entire brand, then you might want to take a step back and re-evaluate your priorities, because you clearly have the luxury of a much less stressful life than I or anyone i've ever met. Oh how I would love to have the time to stress over details like that.

Bear442

Buick
I think you two are missing the point!!!
I work hard to save for my luxury items, I expect to get what I pay for and I paid for a Nav system...not be having someone blow smoke at me and tell me they are working on the issue for 2 years.....if they would just have told me you are stuck with what you have, I could live with that....

I have always said I love the car.....
Good luck with your green lines....

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
...if they would just have told me you are stuck with what you have, I could live with that...
^ I'm afraid that's your answer Bear ^

I agree they should have just told you that from the get-go, but I don't see them changing your 2012 model at this point. Might as well try to enjoy the car as best you can the way it is.

anthony brush

Raleigh, NC
N/A Cadillac STS
It's simple...find one.

I will lay out the process for that unit too (it's different). However the real trick is going to be finding the unit itself. You can order it brand new from GM (4-6 weeks delivery right now) for $2800 (then you will still need the screen, $500, and the controls, $300) if you like. But at that price, you might as well just go trade up your car for a 2013. I got my entire 2012 unit (box, screen, controls, and bezel) for $580. I was completely unable to source a single 2013 nav unit anywhere outside of GM, at any price. I imagine a year from now, they should be available on ebay, and at that point, I will probably upgrade.

The biggest reasons i'm doing this upgrade is just to have the map display (I have navigation in all my other vehicles and I might have used the actual navigating function 3 times last year, but I use the map for a visual reference ALL THE TIME), and to be able to navigate my music more easily. The base radio sucks in that regard.
Did you get the radio unlocked and working? I just added the 2013 equipment to a 2012 with no issues. I may be able to give you some guidance if you need it. I'm adding the 2013 equipment to a 2010 this coming week

TheRaven

Fleetwood, PA
2011 Lacross CXL
Yeah right now i'm stuck at the unlocking phase. It's not a system problem, it's a time problem. I have a full time job that does it's best to suck up every spare minute of my life, plus i'm selling my Caddy and trying to find a Tahoe all at the same time.

However, in the backgroud I have been working on deciphering the 2013 intellilink system, so it's not all wasted time.

Turbo Buick Badge