Navigation Service Has Expired

LeeH

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Tour X Essence
Have a 2019 Tour X purchased mid November with infotainment version 3.0 that was delivered day one without an SD card (lost at the dealership) The Very next morning day 2, the dealer provided a card that they claimed was ordered specifically for my vehicle's VIN.

Now every time I start up the Nav feature the following message pops up on the screen "NAVIGATION SERVICE HAS EXPIRED" and disappears after a few seconds. Dealer states it is an "onstar" related problem but as I understand a new GM car has three months of top tier onstar service as well as Sirius XM radio. Also, I have no access to traffic updates either.

Anyone else experience these issues?

Attachments

LeeH

Buick Ownership
Yes, and they have not responded. Apparently, the issue was elevated to senior technicians. I was hoping that more than one owner had experienced the same with their nav systems.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
There was a similar problem and the original post had said it was also moved up to a senior technician, but it was going to be 8-9 days for a follow-up. Not saying that you will have the same wait, but haven't seen any updates on that post. Hopefully things will work out.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Checked on this forum "where is the SD Card". Told on this forum that my (2018) Tour-X does not use an SD Card. Nav downloaded over the air.

If your 2019 has an SD Card, let us know where it is.

All the above being said, when my OnStar expired, and they wanted to charge me "Beoucoup Bucks" every month, I told them to GO POUND SALT. My built in navigation in the center screen still works perfectly. Not an OnStar function. Only thing I lost, that I wanted, was the Green-Yellow-Red Traffic lines. (That OnStar won't allow SXM to download to my car, as SXM downloads to every car I've had for the past ten plus years). I can live without that. Have no use for anything else from OnStar.

Note: The OnStst reps will tell you that you will not have Navigation, but what they mean (and do not tell you) is that you will not get the OnStar Nav downloaded from OnStar to your car. You don't need it. The built in GPS Navigation works great.

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
I turne off the XM traffic on my LaCrosse because it was so late to update it was worthless. Basically, it just told me I was already stuck in traffic.

Haven’t really tried the Onstar yet as I love Waze. Crowdsourced data is way better.

LeeH

Buick Ownership
The map SD card is inserted next to the two USB ports under the center armrest. I was told this afternoon by Buick that the latest SD card for Maps is the one with part number
Navigation SD Card # 8436 4481

When you google this part it comes up as a Cadillac Nav card but was assured by Buick customer service (not the dealer) that this is the latest available for any GM car (even though the card has 2017 data).

I removed the card and opened in my desktop to reveal the attached files. The date of Nov 16 2018 is the date the salesman brought the card to my home. Apparently, the vehicle tags the card so that it will not work in another vehicle (thus the mystery that the cards are VIN specific...can't take my card and use in a different vehicle).

Onstar people tell me that to get "active navigation" (with traffic updates etc.) one must subscribe to their Unlimited Access Plan and as you state sort of lead you to believe that without Onstar subscription one will not have Nav service in your car.

The Buick navigation customer service rep did state that 2019 forward, all updates to maps, apps. etc. will be available to download only through Onstar.

I will let the three month trial lapse and see if the NAV system works albeit without live traffic. Maybe every six months sign up/download-update then cancel service.

My conclusion is Onstar doesn't talk to dealers and dealers are oblivious to what the consumer will receive when buying a new car...leave it to the consumer to sort things out...just make the sale!

Attachments

FavaBean

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
When I renewed SiriusXM recently, they confirmed they also offer add-on infotainment packages.

Travel Link - gives weather data ($1.99/month)
Nav Traffic - provides traffic ($3.99/month)

They were offering $5/month for basic service and $8.25/month which I elected to get streaming @ home too. Both rates required 1yr subscription.

OnStar is a waste IMO. The only benefits I saw were the accident call after airbag deployment and the telephone service which uses satellite instead of cell tower signal. But being in the Philly region, signal has never been a problem.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
When I renewed SiriusXM recently, they confirmed they also offer add-on infotainment packages.

Travel Link - gives weather data ($1.99/month)
Nav Traffic - provides traffic ($3.99/month)

They were offering $5/month for basic service and $8.25/month which I elected to get streaming @ home too. Both rates required 1yr subscription.

OnStar is a waste IMO. The only benefits I saw were the accident call after airbag deployment and the telephone service which uses satellite instead of cell tower signal. But being in the Philly region, signal has never been a problem.
Per the Weather Data, although I don't have OnStar, I have the cars "The Weather Channel" app.
I set the "Personal Hotspot" on my
iPhone 5 or my iPhone 5s (yes they are old) using it as a router. Then I connected to the TWC app. When I want to see the weather map, I touch the TWC icon. ( FWIW, I also connected to the Marketplace app and the iHeart app. Did not like either one so I removed the Marketplace icon but have not been able to remove the iHeart icon.I just don't use it)

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I have a 2014 Regal and the NAV maps never expire. I can buy an optional map upgrade but it still keeps working even if I don't update it. GM must have changed the NAV system on the 2018 cars; just another way for them to get more money from the consumer.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I have a 2014 Regal and the NAV maps never expire. I can buy an optional map upgrade but it still keeps working even if I don't update it. GM must have changed the NAV system on the 2018 cars; just another way for them to get more money from the consumer.
You misunderstand. What can expire is the OnStar Navigation that you have the OnStar rep download to your car.

What does not expire is the built in GPS Navigation and maps.

Two seperate things and independent from each other.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Yes, that is what he is thinking.

What is worse, when talking with an OnStar adviser, they tell you that you will lose your Navigation, but they don't tell you that you are only losing OnStar Navigation that OnStar downloads to your car. You still have the cars own GPS Navigation. Mine works great!

LeeH

Buick Ownership
An update. My 3 month trial of OnStar came to an end. The only service I pay for is the wi-fi service through ATT, $10.00 per month. This helps when you are not in range of a cell phone tower on long trips.

However, every time I activate the navigation, a message momentarily pops up on my screen NAVIGATION SERVICE HAS EXPIRED. Do any of you 2019 tour X owners have the same issue? My dealer claims there is nothing wrong and it is just a ploy to sign you up for Onstar services. I can't get a straight answer from Buick corporate navigation customer service who refer me to the dealer.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Do you have access to Android Auto and its free Google Maps Navigation app?

LeeH

Buick Ownership
To clarify, the message "Navigation Service Has Expired" is only up on the screen 5 seconds give or take. The Nav system works fine other than that. I just want to know if anyone else gets the same "expired" message.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.