Navigation Update

kmannon

Buick Ownership
Encore
Hi! I purchased my 2014 Buick Encore a few months ago and love the navigation feature because I travel alot. I noticed that the maps are not up to date and my GM dealer told me to purchase the update through GM. The cost is $160!! I'm curious if it is worth it or if there is a way around paying the $160??

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Opinions will vary, but I think most will say the updates are not worth it.
Even when you get the map update, it will most likely still be "out of date".
In my experience GM does not provide map updates very often, and when they do they are usually at least a year out-of date. If you want current road/route notifications such as delays due to a wreck or road construction, I believe you will also need an active OnStar subscription.

I think most people are going the smart phone route with Apple Car Play or Android Auto, but you should check to see if your 2014 Encore is compatible with either of those options. Or you can go with something like Google Maps on your Smart Phone.

Of course you can also go with a dedicated stand-alone GPS unit (my personal choice, but that's just me).
Tom Tom, Garmin, and Magellan all offer really good and very accurate units with timely map updates.

I personally use an older Tom Tom (5 or 6+ years) that still get's FREE map and software updates every 6 months or so. I hook it up to my home computer (USB) to get the updates.
It also has active travel notification that warns me of road/route delays and offers alternative route selection.
My Tom Tom has never cost me anything other than the initial purchase price which was around $150.

kmannon

Buick Ownership
Encore
Thanks Kevin, I do use my phone often but my Buick's dash is quite small so I have to put it in the console. I am still learning what my Buick can and cannot do :)

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Last edited:

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
I just updated mine. I brought a book to read while I waited in the driveway with the engine running. It took at least 50 minutes. Apparently, it looks at the USB drive again after it is done, and then throws an error message. However, the Nike address check was successful, so it must have worked.

bbsmo

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Encore Premium
I found it was NOT worth the money. I updated my 2013 when I bought is used in 2016 and did the update. GM has not provided another update since then. I have a Garmin with unlimited updates and find that was not only a better value.... but more accurate.

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
I just updated mine again. The 2021 navigation update is now available. Buick had a sale. It was $106.50 including free 2-day Fed Ex shipping and sales tax. The update was without issues. Although the dash display says you can drive the vehicle while updating, the instructions are adamant about updating with the engine running and the transmission in Park. It took about 30 minutes.

I made use of the time by making a few observations. In another forum, some people say you should let the vehicle warm up until it goes off fast idle before driving. This seems hopelessly old fashioned to me. I wonder if these people still have a crank start, manual choke and manual spark advance. Anyway, with the weather sunny and in the mid 50s, it took 15 minutes for the car to reach normal idle of 745 rpm, and 17 minutes for the temperature gauge to read normal. That would be a long time spent idling.

After the update was done, I opened the hood and observed the engine (optional direct injection). While there was no visible movement, significant vibration was felt when I rested my hand on the valve cover. While the Buick engine is much quieter than the 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder I had previously, the absence of balance shafts makes a big difference. When I rested my hand on the Tacoma engine, I felt no vibrations. My opinion is that even the smallest inline 4 cylinders need balance shafts. I'll gladly sacrifice a bit of parasitic loss for engine smoothness.

Outtolearn88

Buick Ownership
Encore
I just updated mine again. The 2021 navigation update is now available. Buick had a sale. It was $106.50 including free 2-day Fed Ex shipping and sales tax. The update was without issues. Although the dash display says you can drive the vehicle while updating, the instructions are adamant about updating with the engine running and the transmission in Park. It took about 30 minutes.

I made use of the time by making a few observations. In another forum, some people say you should let the vehicle warm up until it goes off fast idle before driving. This seems hopelessly old fashioned to me. I wonder if these people still have a crank start, manual choke and manual spark advance. Anyway, with the weather sunny and in the mid 50s, it took 15 minutes for the car to reach normal idle of 745 rpm, and 17 minutes for the temperature gauge to read normal. That would be a long time spent idling.

After the update was done, I opened the hood and observed the engine (optional direct injection). While there was no visible movement, significant vibration was felt when I rested my hand on the valve cover. While the Buick engine is much quieter than the 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder I had previously, the absence of balance shafts makes a big difference. When I rested my hand on the Tacoma engine, I felt no vibrations. My opinion is that even the smallest inline 4 cylinders need balance shafts. I'll gladly sacrifice a bit of parasitic loss for engine smoothness.
Hello, Can you please share the details or link for the Navigation Update Information.

Thanks for sharing the details.
🌈

Outtolearn88

Buick Ownership
Encore
Here is the link
Thanks for the info
Here is the link
Thanks for the info 😉

Get your turbo buick badge right here!