• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Neat Feature - Driver Information Center

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
I was driving around in unfamiliar territory this weekend and was using the NAV to help me find my way around. I noticed something that seems like a neat feature. When I have NAV providing directions to my destination, if I switch the main screen to something else (like music, for example), when the next NAV event comes up (turn, exit, etc.), it is displayed in minimal fashion (due to the size constraints) in the Driver Information Center screen.
(This is the built-in NAV not Android Auto or Apple CarPlay . . .)

joshuab

Novi, MI
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
My 2019 will do that too. Also, kinda neat is that there will be a small banner at the bottom of the main screen that does the same thing.I dig it since I typically mute the voice prompts. This is the first vehicle that I have really used the built in NAV. Used to always use my phone or Android Auto.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
That's a thoughtful and probably undocumented feature, all done through software. Imagine how many other improvements/enhancements could be made, if there were incentives by manufacturers or 3-third parties to do so?

joshuab

Novi, MI
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
That's a thoughtful and probably undocumented feature, all done through software. Imagine how many other improvements/enhancements could be made, if there were incentives by manufacturers or 3-third parties to do so?
Not a new feature though. My 2014 Grand Cherokee had it.

x10003q

Buick Ownership
2019 GS
Has anybody been able to get the NAV map in the DIC? There have been some pictures from Opel/Vauxhall that show this feature.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
It doesn't give you the map, but I think it does give you text directions while the map stays on the big screen.

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
I found it shows a graphic of the next turn or exit as well as a slider/gauge of how far you have to go.

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
That’s cool. I really prefer our built in navigation to anything else. I have run it at the same time as both Waze and Google maps (on my phone) and the in car was the only one to consistently give correct directions. At lest, the way I prefer to go.

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
My brief experience is that the built-in Nav gives equally good, if sometimes different, directions as Google Maps. One obscure destination it was unable to locate and Google was able to locate but it was a completely off-road destination with no formal address. One thing I really like about Google Maps is the ability to use a satellite view. Not that it's really better but I find it cool.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
One thing I would really LOVE to have is my “Altitude” show on either the DIS or the Center Screen.

I have friends with Garmen based Center Screen showing their altitude.

When I travel, I take my Garmen 1370 only to keep track of my altitude. Only problem in my
Tour-X is finding a place to mount it and a place to plug it in. Only one power plug in the car.

My other Brand X car shows altitude. Seperate screen but at least I can get it.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Wagon
When I travel, I take my Garmen 1370 only to keep track of my altitude. Only problem in my
Tour-X is finding a place to mount it and a place to plug it in. Only one power plug in the car.
There’s one on the left side in the back:p

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
One thing I would really LOVE to have is my “Altitude” show on either the DIS or the Center Screen.

I have friends with Garmen based Center Screen showing their altitude.

My other Brand X car shows altitude. Seperate screen but at least I can get it.
You're driving a car not flying an airplane lol. As long as the tires are in contact with the road you have nothing to worry about!

My 2014 Regal shows the NAV directions in the driver info center so it's nothing new in a Regal.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
While we are at constructing wishlists, I would like an info screen that indicates current gear. I know you can see this by shifting to manual. But I would like to see it as it changes. I guess as someone who used to row his own, I just want to know.

joshuab

Novi, MI
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
While we are at constructing wishlists, I would like an info screen that indicates current gear. I know you can see this by shifting to manual. But I would like to see it as it changes. I guess as someone who used to row his own, I just want to know.
If you row your own, you should know what gear you are in.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
If you row your own, you should know what gear you are in.
What he is saying is that when he rows his own, he knows what gear car is in, but with automatic, it would be nice to watch the gear changes. If he likes it, that’s great.

As for me, I like watching the altitude display when I’m going uphill or downhill.

BTW, I also listen to AM radio when Traveling at night.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
My Mazda6 wagon had a real-time gear display. I agree it'd be helpful here to know what gear you're in when you have to manually downshift to goose the engine speed because the engine starts lugging.

x10003q

Buick Ownership
2019 GS
I had this done on my VW Touareg. This might already exist in the programing.

Pedal Commander