Need 2" longer rear Wiper.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
That rear window is tiny and not helped by even smaller rear wiper.
I figured the trick of how to get the tiny rear wiper off the arm.
Watched a video for a Chrysler Pacifica, same type of wiper.
I want to replace it with one 2" longer?
Part number , brand, type would be helpful?
Current wiper measures 10" (250mm) I would like 12" (300mm) or 13" (325mm)
Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Will a longer wiper fit? I’ve toyed with this on my Jetta wagon and found that a longer blade couldn’t match the curve of the glass correctly and worked even worse than the original equipment.

I haven’t found there to be horrible visibility from the stock wiper... and it does a great job of cleaning. Can’t say the same about the front wipers. I ditched those the first week I had the car for some Bosch Icons.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Will a longer wiper fit? I’ve toyed with this on my Jetta wagon and found that a longer blade couldn’t match the curve of the glass correctly and worked even worse than the original equipment.

I haven’t found there to be horrible visibility from the stock wiper... and it does a great job of cleaning. Can’t say the same about the front wipers. I ditched those the first week I had the car for some Bosch Icons.
I'll be making a trip to the auto parts store to see how the wipers will fit. I expect the 12" will be no issue, 13" might not work and are harder to find.
14" is too long I think.
In just 2500 miles the darn windshield is a bit pitted from all the road sand. Maybe i should slow down to reduce the sandblast effect. Yes the font wipers are cheapo's . At best they are good of a year.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I bought a Trico "exact fit" 12 A and modified it to fit. 12" is better than 10", 13 will cover best, but choices in 13" are limited/ 14" is too large and will hit the rear high mount stop light.
Roc Loc style wipers have little differences molded into the pin, guides and stops that require a Dremel, Triangular file, heated ,blade or hack saw to modify to fit another size.
M.r Engineer says that his is done to stump the non handy guy who wants to install a larger wiper size on the rear glass.
https://www.amazon.com/Trico 12-A Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade 12" (What I bought)
Or?
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-H772-3397004772Bosch Rear Wiper Blade H874 /3397004874 Original Equipment Replacement- 13"
Or?
https://www.amazon.com/Michelin 9512 Rear Windshield Wiper Blade - 12 inches

The original wiper may have been sized to best match the torque of the wiper motor or cover just the heated area of the rear window, but in any case, it was too tiny.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I bought a Trico "exact fit" 12 A and modified it to fit. 12" is better than 10", 13 will cover best, but choices in 13" are limited/ 14" is too large and will hit the rear high mount stop light.
Roc Loc style wipers have little differences molded into the pin, guides and stops that require a Dremel, Triangular file, heated ,blade or hack saw to modify to fit another size.
M.r Engineer says that his is done to stump the non handy guy who wants to install a larger wiper size on the rear glass.
https://www.amazon.com/Trico 12-A Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade 12" (What I bought)
Or?
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-H772-3397004772Bosch Rear Wiper Blade H874 /3397004874 Original Equipment Replacement- 13"
Or?
https://www.amazon.com/Michelin 9512 Rear Windshield Wiper Blade - 12 inches

The original wiper may have been sized to best match the torque of the wiper motor or cover just the heated area of the rear window, but in any case, it was too tiny.
Just put the Bosch 13” in my amazon cart. Will fit it up this week...thanks for the research!

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Just put the Bosch 13” in my amazon cart. Will fit it up this week...thanks for the research!
It would have been easier to modify or replace the arm than the wiper. I just preferred not the modify the car rather than a replacement part. That way the 10" wiper can go back on, just like OEM.
Please let us know that you have to do to get the 13" wiper to fit. I went to Advance Auto, and they were nice enough to let me try several wipers. Cost more but that is the price you pay to hold the part in your hand and compare.
They did not have a 13" wiper. I think 13" would be best for coverage.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Now that you have the modified blade assembly, is it possible to just replace the blade in the future? I’ve seen it done with all sorts of wiper types and it could be a cheaper / less fussy alternative once the mod is done.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I see Rear Wiper Blades sold at
Advance Auto and at Auto Zone. Probably sold at other national chains.

As for me, I almost never use the rear wiper. Only once every couple months just to make sure it works.
Just used it a couple weeks ago and yesterday noticed residual liquid dripping out of the washer nozzle.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Now that you have the modified blade assembly, is it possible to just replace the blade in the future? I’ve seen it done with all sorts of wiper types and it could be a cheaper / less fussy alternative once the mod is done.
Yes,
Rather than modify another 12" blade holder, I'll just buy the assembly keep a holder as a spare and insert the Rubber and two stainless Strips in the modified holder.
I can't drive 25-50 miles in mud season or winter and still be able to see out the rear window.
I've out pressure washing.
Bet I've washed 100 Lbs of mud off stuff and I'm only 1/2 done.
Waiting for acres to turn green and dry.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Yes,
Rather than modify another 12" blade holder, I'll just buy the assembly keep a holder as a spare and insert the Rubber and two stainless Strips in the modified holder.
I can't drive 25-50 miles in mud season or winter and still be able to see out the rear window.
I've out pressure washing.
Bet I've washed 100 Lbs of mud off stuff and I'm only 1/2 done.
Waiting for acres to turn green and dry.
May have missed but buy what assembly exactly?
And it requires no mods?

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
May have missed but buy what assembly exactly?
And it requires no mods?
Bu assembly I mean the:
When the rubber goes south, I'll just take it apart & replace the rubber and metal guides as long as the plastic holder I modified yesterday is still ok.

Mods required are to cut a slot to match the 10" wiper in Post #1 and file a 2nd flat on the pin so it slips into the arm.

My Pearl White cars will stay clean for about 5 minutes. Notice snow pile in background. Other piles are still several times the size. Blue one gong back in garage till Cinco de Mao. Almost 70F today.

Attachments

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Bu assembly I mean the:
When the rubber goes south, I'll just take it apart & replace the rubber and metal guides as long as the plastic holder I modified yesterday is still ok.

Mods required are to cut a slot to match the 10" wiper in Post #1 and file a 2nd flat on the pin so it slips into the arm.

My Pearl White cars will stay clean for about 5 minutes. Notice snow pile in background. Other piles are still several times the size. Blue one gong back in garage till Cinco de Mao. Almost 70F today.
Thanks Mike..sounds like not good option for me in desert.
Nice pics

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
It would have been easier to modify or replace the arm than the wiper. I just preferred not the modify the car rather than a replacement part. That way the 10" wiper can go back on, just like OEM.
Please let us know that you have to do to get the 13" wiper to fit. I went to Advance Auto, and they were nice enough to let me try several wipers. Cost more but that is the price you pay to hold the part in your hand and compare.
They did not have a 13" wiper. I think 13" would be best for coverage.
13” Bosch blade (H874) does not work. While I could easily increase the blade “cage” (for lack of a better term) and/or file down the plastic to allow the blade to clear the arm attached to the car, the locking pin on the blade is too small for the clip to hold it. It needs a bigger diameter pin to stay clipped in...

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
So they use some oddball wiper arm on back ..so my normal wiper upgrade is a nogo. Most cars I have will work fine with longer blades, but then not dealing with much ice and snow.
Only rear blade vehicle I have is theTyphoon and it uses standard arms so could go up to longer blade.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
13” Bosch blade (H874) does not work. While I could easily increase the blade “cage” (for lack of a better term) and/or file down the plastic to allow the blade to clear the arm attached to the car, the locking pin on the blade is too small for the clip to hold it. It needs a bigger diameter pin to stay clipped in...
Mr. Thrifty was wondering if spending an extra $5 or so at Advance Auto was a smart idea.
I was, as I got to compare a bunch of 11" and 12" styles. So happens they were out of the 13" Roc Loc Style, otherwise I could have saved you the purchase. the 14" had the small pin also.
So it looks like the 12" is the only option.
Note the Pin on the 12" inch must have an extra flat filed on the pin to fit the arm.

The slot I made by heating up a butter knife on the stove and melting a slot in the 12" blade older. I used a small flat file to clean up the slot. 12" is sure better than the 10"

https://www.amazon.com/Trico 12-A Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade 12" (What I bought at Advanced Auto)

This is the installed 12" wiper.

Attachments

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Mr. Thrifty was wondering if spending an extra $5 or so at Advance Auto was a smart idea.
I was, as I got to compare a bunch of 11" and 12" styles. So happens they were out of the 13" Roc Loc Style, otherwise I could have saved you the purchase. the 14" had the small pin also.
So it looks like the 12" is the only option.
Note the Pin on the 12" inch must have an extra flat filed on the pin to fit the arm.

The slot I made by heating up a butter knife on the stove and melting a slot in the 12" blade older. I used a small flat file to clean up the slot. 12" is sure better than the 10"

https://www.amazon.com/Trico 12-A Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade 12" (What I bought at Advanced Auto)

This is the installed 12" wiper.
It appears the “roc loc 2” is common in 12/14/16 inch sizes...I did find a Trico “exact fit” 13” with roc loc 2 - but it doesn’t have the plastic covering the back (it looks like a regular wiper blade):

https://www.amazon.com/TRICO-Exact-13-G-Wiper-Blade/dp/B00FADJ06C

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
It appears the “roc loc 2” is common in 12/14/16 inch sizes...I did find a Trico “exact fit” 13” with roc loc 2 - but it doesn’t have the plastic covering the back (it looks like a regular wiper blade):

I run something similar on my Jetta wagon. I’d rather have that ‘flex’ blade for winter as it won’t grt bound up by ice/snow like traditional wipers do.

Post your results if you pull the trigger on this $11 part.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I'm determined! Returned the Bosch and ordered the Trico 13" this morning - looks like it will arrive when I'm on vacation next week...so I will hopefully get it fitted in late April.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I'm determined! Returned the Bosch and ordered the Trico 13" this morning - looks like it will arrive when I'm on vacation next week...so I will hopefully get it fitted in late April.
The 13" Trico seems like it will need to have the OEM wiper arm replaced to use this wiper.
Looks like a science project to determine what wiper arm to use?
The mounting hole for the arm must match and the arm length needs to be nearly equal to the OEM, otherwise the 13" wiper will hit the top mount brake light.
I'm ok with a 12" wiper, but the 13' would be sweet.
The 13" Wiper style looks better, covers more area, and will be better in snow and ice, so if you figure out how to make this all work, let us know.
PS. I saw a Prius C today with the what seemed like the smallest rear wiper I've seen so far.

Whats the point of having that small a wiper?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.