Jameslink631

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
I have a 2013 Buick Verano - 2.4L with 84,000 miles that is very very well taken care of & clean.

I’ve been having my car throw a check engine light for P0014 for the last 2 weeks (Car runs completely fine) and I changed the Camshaft position sensor and both intake & exhaust solenoids myself just to try to figure out exactly what it was.

I sent it to a shop to get checked out and after diagnosing it from a GM shop/mechanic they found the problem to be the PCM. I bought the part from the dealership & I’m going to change it my self at the dealership tomorrow morning then give them the car to be programmed/calibrated.

Is that a good & best way to handle it with out getting hit over the head to change the PCM. It’s connected to the battery and very easy to get too.

Also how does the PCM come out of the cover and battery case. I’m going to take it out tonight and wanted to get a better idea of how to pull it out

ThatsNotABuick!

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo M6
I have a 2013 Buick Verano - 2.4L with 84,000 miles that is very very well taken care of & clean.

I’ve been having my car throw a check engine light for P0014 for the last 2 weeks (Car runs completely fine) and I changed the Camshaft position sensor and both intake & exhaust solenoids myself just to try to figure out exactly what it was.

I sent it to a shop to get checked out and after diagnosing it from a GM shop/mechanic they found the problem to be the PCM. I bought the part from the dealership & I’m going to change it my self at the dealership tomorrow morning then give them the car to be programmed/calibrated.

Is that a good & best way to handle it with out getting hit over the head to change the PCM. It’s connected to the battery and very easy to get too.

Also how does the PCM come out of the cover and battery case. I’m going to take it out tonight and wanted to get a better idea of how to pull it out
Are you sure it is the PCM? These engines are notorious for the timing guides going out and causing issues with the chain.

DLogue

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Verano
Are you sure it is the PCM? These engines are notorious for the timing guides going out and causing issues with the chain.
Thank you for your reply. I had a scanner give me the code. It has all the symptoms of a pcm malfunction. It’s been acting up. The terminals had sand on them. Not sure how that happened. I am hoping that’s all it is. My second guess would be the solenoids. If I have to deal with the solenoids, then I’m gonna do the spark plugs too. If it don’t work after that, then it’s going to the shop bc I am not a professional. I like to learn but not if it’s something beyond my ability to pay for any further mistakes. How would you fix the timing guides if that were the case?

ThatsNotABuick!

Buick Ownership
Thank you for your reply. I had a scanner give me the code. It has all the symptoms of a pcm malfunction. It’s been acting up. The terminals had sand on them. Not sure how that happened. I am hoping that’s all it is. My second guess would be the solenoids. If I have to deal with the solenoids, then I’m gonna do the spark plugs too. If it don’t work after that, then it’s going to the shop bc I am not a professional. I like to learn but not if it’s something beyond my ability to pay for any further mistakes. How would you fix the timing guides if that were the case?
Did you ever reset the codes after you replaced all the parts? Also, you can pick up a programmed for your VIN PCM off Ebay for less than $150:
GM Engine Computer 12653998 E39A ECU ECM PCM VIN Programmed | eBay

For the timing guides, you need to take off the front cover of the engine and replace them. There are several videos on Youtube on how to do that.

DLogue

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Verano
Did you ever reset the codes after you replaced all the parts? Also, you can pick up a programmed for your VIN PCM off Ebay for less than $150:
GM Engine Computer 12653998 E39A ECU ECM PCM VIN Programmed | eBay

For the timing guides, you need to take off the front cover of the engine and replace them. There are several videos on Youtube on how to do that.
I ordered the pcm with my vin. Now I can’t seem to get it out of the sleeve without pulling everything else apart. All I need to do is get it out. Then I’m going to put it in, reset the values, cycle the gears, and then let it level out on the idling... if I can get the damn thing out. That’s all I’m trying to find out. I can’t seem to get that answer from anyone, and I’m frustrated bc I just got an online manual that isn’t helping me do a damn thing neither. I have to go through 7000 pages just to hope I can find a diagram of how the sleeve and pcm are connected to the battery housing/frame. All the other cars have four damn bolts. This looks like clips and maybe some stupid tool to get it out, unless I disconnect all these lines in the way. I’ll be damned if that’s the only way. I didn’t think I would have to go through this much crap just to get a pcm out...

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's the Chilton instructions

Attachments

• Repair content for 2013 Buick Verano(1).PDF
    112.7 KB · Views: 4

ThatsNotABuick!

Buick Ownership
I ordered the pcm with my vin. Now I can’t seem to get it out of the sleeve without pulling everything else apart. All I need to do is get it out. Then I’m going to put it in, reset the values, cycle the gears, and then let it level out on the idling... if I can get the damn thing out. That’s all I’m trying to find out. I can’t seem to get that answer from anyone, and I’m frustrated bc I just got an online manual that isn’t helping me do a damn thing neither. I have to go through 7000 pages just to hope I can find a diagram of how the sleeve and pcm are connected to the battery housing/frame. All the other cars have four damn bolts. This looks like clips and maybe some stupid tool to get it out, unless I disconnect all these lines in the way. I’ll be damned if that’s the only way. I didn’t think I would have to go through this much crap just to get a pcm out...
So the only thing that holds the case and the PCM in is one little clip that is between them and the battery. The clip is in the middle and you probably need a flashlight to see it. I just stuck a longer screw driver in there, pry it towards the battery and then you can pull up (vertically) on the case and PCM. After that, the PCM just slides out of the case. Always make sure to at least disconnect one of the battery terminals when replacing PCMs.

Attachments

• 20201124_201851.jpg
    20201124_201851.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0

DLogue

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Verano
Thank you. I finally found the page in the Chilton’s manual (p 2383). Still didn’t help. I figured I was gonna try what you said but I wasn’t sure if it’d work😁 Now I know it does, thanks to you! Thank you and everyone for all the help!!!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!