• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

need help removing spark plug shields

gilbobjr

Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Custom 3800 v6
I have a 2002 LeSabre, I learned from a video that the plug shiels can be a problem to remove. This car has never had the plugs changed since new. It has 163000 miles and they are stuck.

dhabicht1

Buick Ownership
LeSabre Limited
This took me hours to do any my forearms are beat from trying. My car is an 02 with only 67k on it, next time I would just buy new wires. I just had to keep twisting the rubber boots until they broke loose then pull hard to remove them.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The wires are toast so new ones are in order. You can yank the plug wires out of the boot, then with a angle pliers you may be able to remove the shield, but getting the plug end off is going to be a PITA
You may try the twist and pull that was mentioned, but the rears are limited in space. Another method is to crack the porcelain on the plug to remove the plug end, but you'll need to clean the area before removing the old plug base to make sure that there's no porcelain left in the plug valley. Or take it to shop and pay them to deal with it, just depends on how involved you want to get, but this is worse case scenario if it's that stuck.

gilbobjr

Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Custom 3800 v6
Do I get to the back ones over the top, or from underneath? I think I have a small amount of C-4 left over from the Army,...….That should work right? LOL

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If you have access from the bottom the back may have a better chance. On the middle one back , not sure on your year, but the O2 sensor is right there so be careful on going to gorilla on that plug or it's another part that will need replacement if gets hit, which I'm pretty sure the C4 may be something to hold off on LOL

Frampton

Buick Ownership
2003 buick lesabre custom
There are 2 pull tabs on them, one at each end. Just pull down on them and slide off shield. I left mine on, no need to take off imo. Unless you have leaky vcg.

Pedal Commander