• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Need help with a rattle

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
Hi all, Holden ZB commodore driver here with a "rattle/tap" noise over bumps that sounds like it's coming from the interior of the car... I can't find it and it's driving me nuts. It sounds like it's coming from the right rear of the car (possible cargo or rear seat area)

I've put removed the cargo/parcel tray and noise persists
I've tried adjusting the boot stops and lubricating the pieces where they connect.
I've removed the rear door panel to check for rattles or movement.
I've checked the head shields under the car for play or anything else but I'm fairly sure it's coming from the interior on the right rear side.
Strangely, sometimes it makes no noise over the bumps and other days it's making the noise over every month which makes me think it's related to plastic trim and weather temps?

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get someone else drive the car so I can physically dial the noise in but that's my next mission.

Just wondered if there was any documented or known causes for a rear interior rattle/tap in these cars? It's a sedan style, not the wagon. Any help is much appreciated!

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
If you have a cargo cover (retractable shade) it may be the source. Some have determined that it doesn't rattle when extended.

Try removing it completely. I think the source of the noise is likely on the right side.

EDIT: Crap, I didn't read to the end. You said you have a sedan.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Do you keep anything in the boot?

Just going back to basics first to cover the simple stuff. With the sportback design, sound makes its way into the cabin a lot more than a conventional sedan. My step mother's Sportback always has what sounds like interior rattle but all it really is is a bunch of junk getting tossed around. Removing anything you have in the boot that's not attached to the car would be my first step.

Is there anything loose in the spare tire/subwoofer area?

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
Do you keep anything in the boot?

Just going back to basics first to cover the simple stuff. With the sportback design, sound makes its way into the cabin a lot more than a conventional sedan. My step mother's Sportback always has what sounds like interior rattle but all it really is is a bunch of junk getting tossed around. Removing anything you have in the boot that's not attached to the car would be my first step.

Is there anything loose in the spare tire/subwoofer area?
Sadly no objects lose, I thought this may have been the culprit so I removed the spare tyre and tool sets etc and verified each tool is wrapped and taped etc and tyre plugged down with sound dampening under/in-between. Went for drives without that gear plus the boot lid and still had the noise. I also tried swapping the boot stoppers over to see if it was one that was faulty too. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the plastic trim that's up against the back window with a piece that's "tapping" against it as other car forums have mentioned this (other makes/models though)
If you have a cargo cover (retractable shade) it may be the source. Some have determined that it doesn't rattle when extended.

Try removing it completely. I think the source of the noise is likely on the right side.

EDIT: Crap, I didn't read to the end. You said you have a sedan.
No worries, appreciate you taking the time to offer thoughts and advice. Damn it's got me wanting to strip the car to find it haha

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I’m trying to find the same thing in my GS. I’ve removed the privacy cover, folded the rear seats, removed the head restraints and nothing. It sounds like the seat latch but when I put seats down no change. I will sit in back soon while my wife drives to see if I can find it.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
I had a similar problem. I took my friend for a ride, she touched on different parts while sitting on the back seat. We figured out it was a liftgate. I later went to the dealer and they figured my liftgate was missing a welding spot. Metal parts were touching right next to the rear glass. They welded it, put the glass back, but the rattle kept on coming back. They ended up replacing the liftgate under warranty and the rattle is gone now. Just so it happens, my Regal is 2018 early production model. I see yours is also 2018, so it could be the same problem.

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
This
I’m trying to find the same thing in my GS. I’ve removed the privacy cover, folded the rear seats, removed the head restraints and nothing. It sounds like the seat latch but when I put seats down no change. I will sit in back soon while my wife drives to see if I can find it.
Over my holidays I'll be making a point to find my issue and when I do - I'll be sure to post results here but thought I'd ask around incase there were people that had already been through this
I had a similar problem. I took my friend for a ride, she touched on different parts while sitting on the back seat. We figured out it was a liftgate. I later went to the dealer and they figured my liftgate was missing a welding spot. Metal parts were touching right next to the rear glass. They welded it, put the glass back, but the rattle kept on coming back. They ended up replacing the liftgate under warranty and the rattle is gone now. Just so it happens, my Regal is 2018 early production model. I see yours is also 2018, so it could be the same problem.
I think that'll be the only way to isolate where it is. I've got a feeling it's related to the boot/lefitgate somehow so I'll be sure it double check the welds too... Appreciate it

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I have an appointment 1/7. Can you tell me what part of the lift gate had the problem so that I can point the dealer in the right direction?

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
I have an appointment 1/7. Can you tell me what part of the lift gate had the problem so that I can point the dealer in the right direction?
I did not get to see it. It was metal flexing right under the rear glass. When your liftgate is closed, it would be right above the rear glass center-right-ish. I tried to remove plastic panels and stuff hollow space inside the liftgate with sponges. It would work for an hour and the rattle would come back. Again, the dealer tried to remove rear glass and welded it in a few locations, but it did not work. They ended up ordering a new liftgate, painted and installed it. I know paint is not always easy to match, so I talked to their body shop supervisor to make sure they do a good job. They actually did, paint looks like new, it matches the color on both sides and no more rattle.

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
20 Regal GS, 12 Regal GS (past)
My '20 GS has a super frustrating rattle on the passenger side also. Mine sounds like its coming from the "roof rail" area above the front passenger door. The car is pretty solid otherwise but the rattle makes the car sound like a bucket of cheap bolts at times.

I have an appointment for 1/5 to get the rattle looked at along with the infotainment update. We will see if they can determine the cause

Last edited:

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
My '20 GS has a super frustrating rattle on the passenger side also. Mine sounds like its coming from the "roof rail" area above the front passenger door. The car is pretty solid otherwise but the rattle makes the car sound like a bucket of cheap bolts at times.

I have an appointment for 1/5 to get the rattle looked at along with the infotainment update. We will see if they can determine the cause
Hi guys, did either of you end up having any luck resolving your rattles? I don't want to end up needing to replace the entire boot but if that's the issue than I will. I ended up checking my rear strut on the side with the noise, sway bar links and suspension bolts all good etc but I'm almost certain that this sound is coming from "inside" the car now but I can't for the life of me find it...

novoseb

Cincinnati, OH
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Hi guys, did either of you end up having any luck resolving your rattles? I don't want to end up needing to replace the entire boot but if that's the issue than I will. I ended up checking my rear strut on the side with the noise, sway bar links and suspension bolts all good etc but I'm almost certain that this sound is coming from "inside" the car now but I can't for the life of me find it...
I’ve been searching for a rattle of my own. I thought it was from the rear initially, but I now think it’s almost directly over my head. Perhaps in the headliner? Do you have a sunroof? If so, try pressing on the headliner next to the opening when you hear the rattle. I’m not entirely sure that’s it for me but that’s the best candidate right now…

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
I’ve been searching for a rattle of my own. I thought it was from the rear initially, but I now think it’s almost directly over my head. Perhaps in the headliner? Do you have a sunroof? If so, try pressing on the headliner next to the opening when you hear the rattle. I’m not entirely sure that’s it for me but that’s the best candidate right now…
I don't have a sunroof but I have heard that people have had issues with the airbag located on the side of the roof (a bolt that knocks) I've booked into my local in 5 days from now because I've almost given up trying to locate it haha. I just found two more potential noise points and have "foamed" them so will update tomorrow if it worked... To anyone with this issue: it's a slight tap/crack noise and sounds like metal to metal or plastic slapping metal - it's a hard sound to describe. It's definitely not the typical sway bar bushing noise or normal suspension noise etc. Pretty much positive that the sound is coming from the right rear of car - either roof lining area or the hatch top

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
Yes supposedly the dealer was able to fix it. The problem was the bezel around the little door lock pin on the door was broken I guess. I only say "supposedly" because I wound up bending a rim when I hit a pothole on the way home from the dealer. As such, I haven't had a chance to put many miles on the car to know for sure. Seems fixed though!!

1qazwsx4

Buick Ownership
Regal 2018
Yes supposedly the dealer was able to fix it. The problem was the bezel around the little door lock pin on the door was broken I guess. I only say "supposedly" because I wound up bending a rim when I hit a pothole on the way home from the dealer. As such, I haven't had a chance to put many miles on the car to know for sure. Seems fixed though!!
Glad you managed to get your issue solved and sorry to hear about your mag! Any chance you could post a pic of where/what part of the door lock you're talking about?
I've pulled my car apart for the 30th time and still no joy...

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
Glad you managed to get your issue solved and sorry to hear about your mag! Any chance you could post a pic of where/what part of the door lock you're talking about?
I've pulled my car apart for the 30th time and still no joy...
they replaced this little guy tempImageddgGHe.jpg

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
they replaced this little guy
I have exactly the same problem with lock/unlock pins vibrating in all 4 doors. Audio installer wrapped them in velcro tape on the bottom part when I was getting Noico installed in doors. It fixed most of the pin rattle. Driver's side still rattles a little bit when doors are locked - so the pins are lowered.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners