Need help with vibration 03 lesabre

Frampton

2003 buick lesabre custom
I had a set of the Michelin symmetry tires on my 93 deville and they were great. I think I will go back to the 2256016's, see if that helps but now I'm getting a groaning, whinning sound at about 45 on up and especially when I'm turning right. Sounds exactly like a wheel hub, but I can't tell which side would be bad. I'll likely replace both, I just changed them a year ago! They were eccp brand off off amazon. I don't know if my vibration problem is all tied in with the now, hub noise though.... Very frustrating!
You have a celebration edition? Pics???

imidazol97

Top Dog
I had a Celebration. My wife's retirement present. 205 K miles. Red. Miami University colors. In fact, it was transfered from the Oxford Buick store to my local dealer at the time in a dealer trade.

About your rumble, on various leSabres, I had the tires develop a slight unevenness around the edge which would give a rumble at low speeds like a wheel bearing. Shadetree mechanic up the street who helped me fix a lot of things used to work in a tire store, so he'd always feel the edges of the tires with his fingers to sense uneven wear. Michelins at high mileage and a fairly hard tread for long wear. Could get noisy.

Frampton

I had a Celebration. My wife's retirement present. 205 K miles. Red. Miami University colors. In fact, it was transfered from the Oxford Buick store to my local dealer at the time in a dealer trade.

About your rumble, on various leSabres, I had the tires develop a slight unevenness around the edge which would give a rumble at low speeds like a wheel bearing. Shadetree mechanic up the street who helped me fix a lot of things used to work in a tire store, so he'd always feel the edges of the tires with his fingers to sense uneven wear. Michelins at high mileage and a fairly hard tread for long wear. Could get noisy.
Funny you should mention, the last rebalance job they did, just last week, he showed me the the front tires were just starting to cup a bit. That's when he suggested a rotate, front to back. Like I said, I'm going crazy with all of this and it just seems it all started a few weeks after the 2356016's were installed. I'm torn but maybe I should go back to the 2256016's, which Idk if I'd have to pay for those or not? Also with the noise like a bad hub..... I wish I knew what to do. I want my car to be quiet while driving, like it was before the tires install. Maybe they're balancing machine isn't calibrated right???? Idk... One thing I know, is I'm not gonna start throwing axles, hubs, control arms and other front end parts on it that it may not need.

Frampton

Funny you should mention, the last rebalance job they did, just last week, he showed me the the front tires were just starting to cup a bit. That's when he suggested a rotate, front to back. Like I said, I'm going crazy with all of this and it just seems it all started a few weeks after the 2356016's were installed. I'm torn but maybe I should go back to the 2256016's, which Idk if I'd have to pay for those or not? Also with the noise like a bad hub..... I wish I knew what to do. I want my car to be quiet while driving, like it was before the tires install. Maybe they're balancing machine isn't calibrated right???? Idk... One thing I know, is I'm not gonna start throwing axles, hubs, control arms and other front end parts on it that it may not need.
I forgot to tell you, today for the first hour of driving, I had the (wheel bearing sound) then after that it disappeared. Then it came back when I would turn the steering wheel right at any speed above 45mph. Then it would go away. Wtf????

Thunderhawk09

2005 Buick LeSabre Custom
I had a set of the Michelin symmetry tires on my 93 deville and they were great. I think I will go back to the 2256016's, see if that helps but now I'm getting a groaning, whinning sound at about 45 on up and especially when I'm turning right. Sounds exactly like a wheel hub, but I can't tell which side would be bad. I'll likely replace both, I just changed them a year ago! They were eccp brand off off amazon. I don't know if my vibration problem is all tied in with the now, hub noise though.... Very frustrating!
Normally On a wheel bearing the way you turn makes the noise is the side going out so give that right hub a once over bet it's getting bad needle bearings I had a few bad bad hubs from rock auto when I had my dodge truck well four bad 5 replacements in 1200 miles so I can attest cheaper does not mean better there are some pretty crappy auto parts out there so you may have got some I would change brand this time though I have been using Detriot Axle hubs and so far no issues

Frampton

Normally On a wheel bearing the way you turn makes the noise is the side going out so give that right hub a once over bet it's getting bad needle bearings I had a few bad bad hubs from rock auto when I had my dodge truck well four bad 5 replacements in 1200 miles so I can attest cheaper does not mean better there are some pretty crappy auto parts out there so you may have got some I would change brand this time though I have been using Detriot Axle hubs and so far no issues
Thanks! I will get the Detroit axle hubs. If you turn right, that puts the load on the left side, which I'd think would be the bad one. Can you explain how that works? I'm probably wrong though.

imidazol97

Top Dog
I'd move the rear tires to the front to see if the sound from that "hub" which might be tire tread noise changes...
I did that one side at a time to see if I could diagnose down to the tire. I had access to my shade tree mechanic neighbor's garage and electric speed wrench for the lug nuts.

I replaced a hub that wasn't bad because of tire tread noise on the 03. The high mileage tires and some age
on the rubber along with a little uneven wear on the edges can cause noise; my Michelins did on the 98 leSabre and
on the 03.

I strongly recommend diagnosing rather than replacing parts to guess.

Try pumping the tire pressure up high and driving on a smooth, freshly paved road is any are around you.
Then try putting the pressure at 30.

Frampton

I'd move the rear tires to the front to see if the sound from that "hub" which might be tire tread noise changes...
I did that one side at a time to see if I could diagnose down to the tire. I had access to my shade tree mechanic neighbor's garage and electric speed wrench for the lug nuts.

I replaced a hub that wasn't bad because of tire tread noise on the 03. The high mileage tires and some age
on the rubber along with a little uneven wear on the edges can cause noise; my Michelins did on the 98 leSabre and
on the 03.

I strongly recommend diagnosing rather than replacing parts to guess.

Try pumping the tire pressure up high and driving on a smooth, freshly paved road is any are around you.
Then try putting the pressure at 30.
Wheels have been rotated and did raise and lower tire pressure. I just have a funny feeling I should go back to the 2256016 size.

imidazol97

Top Dog
I don't see switching to 225x60x16 if you're staying with the same brand without doing road force balancing
to diagnose IF the tires themselves are a part of the problem or IF the tires are showing a symptom of the
problem in the slight cupping they're seeing.

If you switch to Michelin, you still need to have the rims and tires checked for road force. Then you can
attack other potential problems.

Don't overlook that problems in the rear can telegraph and feel like unevenness on the front.

I guess I and a lot of others were obsessive compulsive focused on this when I had the new 03
so I probably come across here as overly careful. But there are so many things that can affect smooth
rolling.

For your bearing, you should be able to feel a roughness with the car jacked up especially if you have
a hydraulic jack and can compare both sides for the same feel as the bearings roll. OR you may find
the bearing has more than 0.05 inch end play--I believe that was the specification. Many used a twisting
of the tire and said if it wiggled a certain amount that mean the bearing was bad, but the specification
that I think was in the FSM is 0.05 inch.

Frampton

I don't see switching to 225x60x16 if you're staying with the same brand without doing road force balancing
to diagnose IF the tires themselves are a part of the problem or IF the tires are showing a symptom of the
problem in the slight cupping they're seeing.

If you switch to Michelin, you still need to have the rims and tires checked for road force. Then you can
attack other potential problems.

Don't overlook that problems in the rear can telegraph and feel like unevenness on the front.

I guess I and a lot of others were obsessive compulsive focused on this when I had the new 03
so I probably come across here as overly careful. But there are so many things that can affect smooth
rolling.

For your bearing, you should be able to feel a roughness with the car jacked up especially if you have
a hydraulic jack and can compare both sides for the same feel as the bearings roll. OR you may find
the bearing has more than 0.05 inch end play--I believe that was the specification. Many used a twisting
of the tire and said if it wiggled a certain amount that mean the bearing was bad, but the specification
that I think was in the FSM is 0.05 inch.
Yeah, I think your right. Rfb is the first thing to do. And just today it hit me, maybe something in the rear is wrong. I'll jack it up tomorrow and check all 4 corners and if I find a bearing issue then I'll fix it but the rfb should be done too! Thanks!

Samtraxx1

Lesabre Custom
I've got slight vibration in front end at 50-70 mph. Rebalanced wheels 3 times, alignment and then rechecked again, everything looks good. Thinking axles??? 114,000 miles, sometimes when slowing down to make a left turn I get a whining sound, almost like when a p.s. pump is on its way out but intermittent. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
I had same problem, rear rotors were warped, but it made it seem like it was coming from front....

Frampton

I had same problem, rear rotors were warped, but it made it seem like it was coming from front....
My brakes are new with rotors all around. I did find that the frt left trans mount was torn, I just replaced it a yr. ago so replaced it and vibration got way better but still there. My second set of new tires are going on soon so hopefully the new tires I put on when this whole thing started, will prove to be bad.

Samtraxx1

Lesabre Custom
I've got slight vibration in front end at 50-70 mph. Rebalanced wheels 3 times, alignment and then rechecked again, everything looks good. Thinking axles??? 114,000 miles, sometimes when slowing down to make a left turn I get a whining sound, almost like when a p.s. pump is on its way out but intermittent. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
The rotors are warped change them and it should stop vibrating/Shaking

Frampton

what solved the problem lol. I'm halfway through a full brake replacement which has been delayed as I bought the wrong size rotors so I'm looking forward to the results.
Trans. fluid change. Which is goofy because I changed it about 20,000 miles ago but one think I did when I changed it, I added a couple tubes of instant shudder fix, once in a great while it would shudder. After that, car wasn't the same. But now she's perfect again. No vibration, or shudder, smooth.

Last edited:
2003 lesabre limited
Get oem my man! Like $50 more per side for a lifetime of peace haha

rickyjude31

2005 buick Lesabre custom
Wow! Now that's some information! Thank you for taking the time for my problem. So I guess I should road force all 4 tires. I just spoke with the tire store that I bought the tires from and he suggested that too but he doesn't have that machine. He said for the most part he doesn't believe in road force balancing. Idk. I've done bussines with this store for 30 years. I'd really hate to buy different size tires since these are new. I'd also hate to start throwing parts at the car that it might not need.... Puzzled at this point. I'll find a place that road force balances and see what happens. Thanks so much for your information! Rear shocks I JUST replaced.
I have an 05 lesabre, this maybe to late of a response, I spent over 3k trying to get rid of vibration over 50mph. Turned out to be rear strut mount, took me about $30 and 30 minutes and it did the trick.

Frampton

I have an 05 lesabre, this maybe to late of a response, I spent over 3k trying to get rid of vibration over 50mph. Turned out to be rear strut mount, took me about $30 and 30 minutes and it did the trick.
Great! But my cure to my vibration issue is embarrassing to say the least. I too spent big money replacing every Damn suspension part only to find it was my trans. fluid or level of it. I changed it about 7000 miles ago but also threw in a couple of tubes of shudder fix by advice of a trans shop. Well either it was that or fluid level was low or Idk.... But changed fluid days ago and now no vibration. Think it was the converter not locking or something..... Idk. I check all my levels very often but new trans fluid is very hard to see for me with eyes not what they used to be. WOW! So pissed off at myself as I've spent over $700 in parts. Luckily I can do my own work. Maybe it's time for a thicker set of glasses! 😆

Get your turbo buick badge right here!