• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Need help, won't turn over.

BigBoyDale

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Ok...came out today put key in ignition, turned to start, lights on dash lit up as usual, but nothing else, no starter whirl. Battery looked great, headlights burned strong, so ASSumed starter. Installed new one. Went to crank, same thing. Thought might be battery after all, had a spare, tested it with charger and put it in. First battery was a nice Johnson/Controls, Walmart. Second a dealer battery, but both did same thing, no turn over.

How many safety switches are there? For PARK, Brake PUSHED, more:? Thinking one of those is bad..any ideas appreciated. Again, car does not even pull in solenoid.

Thanks
Spencer

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Did you try to start it in Neutral ???

There is a Ignition Switch, but I never worked on a RM, so I don't know where it is or how easy/hard it's to replace. But usually in the steering column.

PartsGeek has the cheapest prices for these things.

Is there a "Security" light that's on ??

Also check the starter relay for the hell of it just to rule it out. You should be able to swap the relay with another of the same type in the fuse box just to check.

BigBoyDale

Buick Ownership
Does not crank in Neutral..no security light. Was looking at schematic tonight.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
One other item, assuming you have the black chip key, take a pencil eraser or any eraser and clean the both sides of silver insert. Long shot but had a no start and this fixed it, no I couldn't believe it was that simple either lol.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
If you do not have a security light that stays ON after flashing for 3-sec when you first turn the ignition switch to ON position, the key is not the problem.

BigBoyDale

Buick Ownership
Well I tried a different key. No difference. PASS KEY light flashes in either on or start, never goes steady. Seems like it stays on steady for a couple seconds (normal start) after it starts and then goes out. Looked a schematic and don't see any safety's other than the theft deterrent. I'm assuming that's pass key. Looks like circuit has no relay other than solenoid coil. Pretty straight forward. Really pointing to the switch. Anyone removed one of these?

BigBoyDale

Buick Ownership
OK, changed ignition switch, didn't help. Should have looked at security first. Has anyone used a cylinder lock without the pass key sensor? Will they work ok? I don't need a pass key If I can help it... Thinking the reader in the lock is bad and won't read any key. Non pass key cylinder lock is available now locally. Pass key bulb "flashes" as long as cylinder is turned to start. This is a fault according to manual.
Thanks

BigBoyDale

Buick Ownership
No..I normally don't return parts...I'd have to remove them, and both the switch and the starter have over 120k on them. Replacing them with new is not really false economy as I plan to hang on the car forever. It's easy for me to think I should have looked here first, but I'm gonna get it. A cylinder lock with a pass key already programmed is around 40 bucks from NAPA and others, but they are about 3 days way. Am probably gonna order one, but will remove kick panel and trouble shoot while it comes. Thanks for corresponding!

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8 liter
No..I normally don't return parts...I'd have to remove them, and both the switch and the starter have over 120k on them. Replacing them with new is not really false economy as I plan to hang on the car forever. It's easy for me to think I should have looked here first, but I'm gonna get it. A cylinder lock with a pass key already programmed is around 40 bucks from NAPA and others, but they are about 3 days way. Am probably gonna order one, but will remove kick panel and trouble shoot while it comes. Thanks for corresponding!
You seem very determined so I have faith that you will figure it out. :)

BigBoyDale

Buick Ownership
You have to have determination in order to change out that ignition switch since it uses an actuator rod and is mounted midway down the column and has two other switches, solenoids mounted to it. Glad I had the factory manual with illustrations. Got a lot of cuts on hands getting switch in. Not much room to work.

BigBoyDale

Buick Ownership
Well I was going to possibly try the bypass method, but as usual, ran into trouble from the start. Took my digital meter, tried all ranges including auto on resistance and you know what 3 keys, including one from a lesabre read? Zero. And the little pellet looks like a single piece of metal.

The other problem is finding resistors this day and time locally. He recommends Radio Shack, so you know the articles a little dated. Think this is gonna run into a dead end, but it was a nice theory anyways.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
Well I was going to possibly try the bypass method, but as usual, ran into trouble from the start. Took my digital meter, tried all ranges including auto on resistance and you know what 3 keys, including one from a lesabre read? Zero. And the little pellet looks like a single piece of metal.

The other problem is finding resistors this day and time locally. He recommends Radio Shack, so you know the articles a little dated. Think this is gonna run into a dead end, but it was a nice theory anyways.
As resistors go, I would think that you might be interested in surface mount resistors. Although quite small in size, You can easily get a "Sample Book" of resistors pretty cheap. You will have a lot of values to chose from and might make things easier.

The only ignition switch I have screwed around with is in my wife's little 2003 Malibu. Was extremely easy to replace but then again, Its far from a Buick :)

BigBoyDale

Buick Ownership
Well it's in and seems to be working. Here's my plan. I have ordered an AC delco cylinder lock from Amazon. It should be in tomorrow. I know why auto parts stores like NAPA are probably in trouble. They give me 3 days at least, more expensive and Amazons guarantees tomorrow. Anyway, I don't think cylinder lock will be too bad, have take off steering wheel. Will also have to get new key reprogrammed from old key.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
Great. Glad you got it in. :)

You know, There sure was a lot of hate about Amazon and how they are unfair to the other retailers. However, All you have to do is visit Amazon's site and then compare it to something like Walmart. Then you can see why Amazon is so successful. Its like these other retailers are against competition and putting together a decent website.

G-207406

Sometimes you need things that are far away quickly in order to finish a project. For example, I started the steps removing the cylinder lock and of course you need to take off the steering wheel.
I had a harbor freight puller and thought how glad I was that I bought ahead of time and on sale.
However GM put the two holes where you insert the puller bolts to the wheel so close together, that the harbor freight puller doesn't work.
I looked at a video for removal on youtube and it was very helpful. Come to find out you need a puller like one on Amazon that will remove it. Guy even said he bought on Amazon with model number. Ordered it with Prime. on wife's account (wife doesn't know why she has Prime since she says she's not paying for it), lol. Will be here today or tomorrow.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Well it's in and seems to be working. Will also have to get new key reprogrammed from old key.
What is IN and seems to be working? How do you plan to have the new key programmed? Never heard of the resistor key reprogramming procedure, please explain how that works??

Pedal Commander