• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

New caretaker of 08 Lucerne CXL

Curiousgb

Buick Ownership
08 Lecerne
I recently became the caretaker of my mothers 08 Lucerne. It has 95k on the odometer. Seems to be in very good shape. I did a good detail today. Replace the hood strut. Went to the auto parts store to get shocks and struts and the cruise control wouldn't work. Came home looked on this forum. Checked my brake lights and they are always on. Seems this is indicative of a bad switch. Easy enough, but now I find that it will need to be calibrated. Fun.16736

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Welcome and yes unfortunately many newer vehicle replacement components may need calibration. With that being said some items may be replaced and can work out of the box, so it's a try and see. As you dig around the most common problem is the rear seat fuse box and relay for the fuel pump so check if that's been done, other than oil, transmission and coolant change along with wires and plugs you should be good to go if it hasn't had these done yet.

Curiousgb

Buick Ownership
08 Lecerne
I guess I got lucky. I thought it was coincidence that the brake sensor died after I changed the battery. So I opened her up and pulled the plug to the sensor. I then turn the key to the on position and plugged it back up. Brake lights were out. Pressed brake pedal lights came on, but stayed on, (grumble). Turned key off, unplugged brake sensor. Turn key on, press brake pedal, plug up sensor, release brake pedal. Lights are now off and they come on when I press the pedal, and go off when I release. And the cruise works. Yea

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Glad it worked, some days it's better to be lucky then good LOL.

sandman900ss

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
One bit of advice to the new member on this car: do NOT pull the door handle hard by mistake when it's locked. You'll pull the handle off the door as it's made of plastic, not metal, and the self tapping screws rip out. Not fun taking the door apart to replace the handle with another plastic one. Unbelievable GM cost cutting!

Curiousgb

Buick Ownership
08 Lecerne
Hello, were you able to get someone other than Buick to recalibrate it?
Yes, my work mechanic had a snap on test set. He didn’t know what I was talking about but we found the settings and bam good as new. What crappy design.