• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

New here - contemplating a used Regal GS but worried about parts, reliability, etc.

Pastimesteve

Buick Ownership
Looking at used 2018 GS v6 awd
Hi everyone! I don't typically look at GM offerings, but the Buick Sportback GS V6 caught my eye recently. There is a used 2018 GS locally with just under 13,000 miles. Based on Carfax, it has been a dealer fleet vehicle over the course of its life and has been auctioned once. No accidents or other issues in the report.

After looking through pages of old threads, I have the following questions/concerns:

1. Parts - I've seen some folks sell their GS here due to concerns over parts availability and lack of GM support in light of the discontinued nature of the Regal after 2020. Is this a legitimate concern that should deter me from purchasing a GS, or is the parts supply issue improving? Obviously, I'm worred about mechanical parts, but also exterior body panel replacements in case of an accident. I've now seen two members talk about the lengthy delays on getting their cars repaired after hitting deer...

2. Reliability - how is the 9 speed transmission holding up on the 2018+ GS? Any issues with the engine, AWD system or other mechanical failures?

3. Wheels/tires - I see where the GS is compatible with the Malibu Premier 19" wheels, but will 18" wheels fit over the front brembo brakes?

Any other issues that should keep me away from purchasing a used 2018+ GS?

Thanks!
Steve

Regal11

Manchester, NH
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal Sportback Avenir
Hi everyone! I don't typically look at GM offerings, but the Buick Sportback GS V6 caught my eye recently. There is a used 2018 GS locally with just under 13,000 miles. Based on Carfax, it has been a dealer fleet vehicle over the course of its life and has been auctioned once. No accidents or other issues in the report.

After looking through pages of old threads, I have the following questions/concerns:

1. Parts - I've seen some folks sell their GS here due to concerns over parts availability and lack of GM support in light of the discontinued nature of the Regal after 2020. Is this a legitimate concern that should deter me from purchasing a GS, or is the parts supply issue improving? Obviously, I'm worred about mechanical parts, but also exterior body panel replacements in case of an accident. I've now seen two members talk about the lengthy delays on getting their cars repaired after hitting deer...

2. Reliability - how is the 9 speed transmission holding up on the 2018+ GS? Any issues with the engine, AWD system or other mechanical failures?

3. Wheels/tires - I see where the GS is compatible with the Malibu Premier 19" wheels, but will 18" wheels fit over the front brembo brakes?

Any other issues that should keep me away from purchasing a used 2018+ GS?

Thanks!
Steve
I personally wouldn't let that deter you from getting the vehicle. They are made in Germany. I recently upgraded from a German built 2011 Regal that I bought new and when I traded it in have over 120K miles. I think they are really well built vehicles. From my experience COVID threw a wrench in supply chains and I've been waiting for a few parts from the dealer but are expected in next week so it would appear parts are slowly coming in. I don't recall seeing anyone having mechanical issues with the AWD system or transmission. I have a 2019 Regal Avenir and have nothing but good things to say about the car.

Last edited:

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Hate to throw a wrench in the mix.
A fleet vehicle with 13k miles? I would not even look at that specific one even if it is dirt cheap.
Ask yourself an honest question, how would you treat a dealer loaner or a rental car.
Then think for a moment on how others may have treated the same kind of vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, the car itself is good.
But that specific one though, I could not recommend.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
It's a roll of the dice with any used car, not just a rental or a fleet vehicle. They all come with a full factory warranty and an extended warranty can also be purchased.

My last car was a rental which was a Pontiac G8 GT and I never had any problems with it. If there's any car that was driven hard as a rental it would be that car, since it just begs the driver to open up the throttle and feel the power of that V8 engine.

I would be more concerned about parts availability since parts for the 2018+ Regal have been hard to get even before covid shutdown a lot of factories around the world. And seeing that the Regal will be discontinued in the near future I certainly wouldn't buy one.

As we waited for our parts last summer, all through the fall and into winter we were told GM parts switched to a different computer system which was causing problems, then the strike hit causing more problems in the GM parts distribution system. We were told the effects of the strike could take until now (March) to get straighted out. So even if GM parts was back on track the Corona virus problems are now probably causing disruptions. Not to mention if GM has to order Tour X and Regal parts from Opal/Puegot in Germany. Seems like nobody can catch a break.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Is it a private sale or GM dealer?
Can you verify the factory 4yr/50k bumper to bumper and the 6yr/70k power train are still in effect?
How many years do you intend to keep it?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Of course the factory warranty is in effect. Just because it's a fleet vehicle or a rental doesn't void the warranty.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
If the car is at a GM dealer demand that they certify it. If you finance the car get GAP insurance. If there is a major problem fixing the car it will be totaled and you can get a new one. I bought a 2018 GS a month ago. My third Regal and second GS. They are a hoot. Much better cars than you will read about in reviews.

x10003q

Buick Ownership
2019 GS
It is still too early to have a handle on mechanical issues. There very few GS Regals which will make it hard to get any kind of handle on issues. For us, the price to value ratio was too good to pass up. If you like the car you should buy it.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
I love my 2018 GS more than my 2014 GS. its a great car and I personally have needed TWO rear fascias (separate incidents), right rear tail light, front right side applique, and a handful of other things (because im picky and use my warranty to the fullest) and I have always gotten parts in a timely manner. My rear bumper covers took the longest. it was 5 days shipping on those. Its very unfortunate that some folks are having issues and I'm not quite sure why. There have been parts delays since then, but these have been related to COVID. I personally would still buy the vehicle. You'll love it

Gracie615

We had our 2018 GS bought back by GM because we needed a new wiring harness which it took 18 weeks for GM to source to the dealership. The repair was just completed 1 week before the buy back paper work was completed and signed back over to GM. We loved the car! It was a hard decision to let it go. But we really didn't think the parts shortage issues were going to be corrected any time soon if really ever since GM does not own Opel anymore. We are still sad that we don't have the car anymore. In my opinion it's the last performance oriented sedan that GM offers, but hides the cars and the parts!

buickx

Buick Ownership
2018 regal gs & 1970 gsx stg 1
I bought my 2018 gs new in 2018, it has only 12,200 miles on it... had absolutely no problems... I don't use in in the winter. 13,000 miles is nothing....

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
We had our 2018 GS bought back by GM because we needed a new wiring harness which it took 18 weeks for GM to source to the dealership. The repair was just completed 1 week before the buy back paper work was completed and signed back over to GM. We loved the car! It was a hard decision to let it go. But we really didn't think the parts shortage issues were going to be corrected any time soon if really ever since GM does not own Opel anymore. We are still sad that we don't have the car anymore. In my opinion it's the last performance oriented sedan that GM offers, but hides the cars and the parts!
So apparently GM must consider self inflicicted, legally forced buy backs is good business practice? Some executives need pink slips.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
The 3.6 engine has its issues with the timing chain guides. But some mechanics claim using the best of motor oils and frequent changes will avoid these chain guide issues.

CNYmetalGuy

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Preferred II
I bought my 18 Sportback last July and I couldnt love it more. I was really surprised how much I fell in love with it. Its zippy with the turbo, and has some of the european styling that Opels are known for. My only issue has been finding body effects parts (real spoiler, etc) without having to order from china

Get your turbo buick badge right here!