New here, looking at getting a 2011 CXL turbo 6M...feedback appreciated

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore, 2012 Buick Regal GS
Hey all, I have a 2016 Encore and currently looking at getting a Regal for work. I drive 3k miles/month and definitely need something that will be reliable. I had a 2015 Ford Fusion, but got rid of it after having to replace the transmission. First and last Ford. I prefer manual and was looking at getting a GS, but a good deal on a 2011 CXL 2.0T manual popped up and since I drive so much, this seemed like a much more practical choice.

As you can imagine, I am doing research and reading the horror stories about oil consumption, timing chain issues, car stalling out on highway, etc., and have also seen engines for sale that supposedly have those issues all ironed out. So, are some years better than others? Since 2011 was the first year, should I avoid them? I do my own maintenance and repairs for the most part, and I'm really starting to like Buicks but above that, my car is paramount to my job and need something that will be reliable.

Thanks in advance.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Some of the 2011 Regals were made in Germany and some in Canada. I had a German built car and it was outstanding. The common issues are listed at the beginning of this forum. How many miles are on the vehicle? My Regal was an automatic and it seems to me that there has been more complaints about the manuals. I would not rule out 2012 and 2013 models as they have the same LHU engine. I drove mine 75K in 3 years and traded it in for a ‘13 GS which I’m still driving and both Regals have been the best cars that I have owned.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
When reading some of the horror stories they have to be taken for face value. A lot of those stories never contain all the OP information about how the problem started and none of those owners has ever done anything wrong LOL.

Buick has made some clusters, year and model dependent some times. 1st year and even 2nd year runs at times are to be avoided as those are being real world beta testing. Most the problems show up on 1st year and you hope they have them fixed by the 2nd year.

Once you have decided on a year getting a short subscription to a online service to review the TSB on that year my prove cheaper than finding out as a owner. Maintainance seems to be one of those problems that gets mixed with a manufacturer's problem, read the forum as there are some interesting posts LOL.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
My Regal and my last car were first year builds and I never had any problems with either one. My wife also has a 2014 Regal and she hasn't had any problems with her car, so it seems thats just a myth.

Since the Regal you're looking at buying is 8 years old I would imagine it won't be a very reliable car. Buying a used car is always a gamble and the older it is the more chance you'll have problems with it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
LMAO, how about all the recalls and TBS that come out, the list is endless. The new TourX already has suspension problems, read the forums.

https://www.cars.com/recalls/buick-regal-2014/

So you are saying that a 2014 Regal will become a unreliable car in 2022, what makes a car unreliable in 8 years, I have a 1995 Buick lesabre that kind of makes that a myth.

fastNYsix

Buick Ownership
1985 Regal Limited 6.0, 1987 GN, 2011 Regal T
I just bought the same car you are looking at. I prefer a manual also, and stumbled upon this car on Craigslist. It wouldn't start, but the owner swore it didn't bend valves. The chain jumped but didn't break. The balance chain was about to fall off. I replaced everything and it fired right up. The car is a blast to drive. I would replace all the timing components and replace the upper guide bolt with the upgraded one. The manual is notchy when it's cold. I would also recommend a tune. The car really came alive after a tune.

Attachments

Walt G

25 miles SW of Chicago
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
One big problem with the 2011 and most of 2012 cars is that GM had the oil life monitor set to go about 10,000 miles. People that followed that (as they were told to do) suffered timing chain/timing system issues. GM has since recalibrated the oil life monitor to call for oil changes about twice as often. Late 2012's got that updated OLM, as did 13's and possibly earlier cars that for some reason needed a reflash of the ECU (unlikely).

I was changing my oil at 5000 anyways, but after getting my Trifecta tune, which was based on the 'latest' GM calibration, my OLM started calling for oil changes at about 5000 instead of about 10,000.

If there is any way to confirm that the original owner or owners did oil changes much more often than the OLM said they should, you'll probably be good, but if they followed the OLM, you're probably looking at a timing system failure in your future.

slowta

Buick Ownership
Buick
My 2011 with a manual transmission has been pretty good.

But... I also bought it with 98k miles so it came to me well used with 4 bent wheels. If you live with crappy roads, it's something to check. Bent wheels haven't been a huge complaint here.

Then I had to change the cam actuators which is typical, easy, and relatively cheap.

Unfortunately after that the oil supply line to the turbo cracked and caught fire. The fire damage was confined to 1 electrical connector and a vacuum hose. I've put another 15k miles on it since.

The motor ticks when cold, which is a bit bothersome but there are no signs that anything else is wrong. The exhaust is pretty rusty. Everything works, with no complaints about interior stuff like I've read about here.

The only other things I'm keeping an eye on is the oil level sensor which has a minor leak that I just slathered some RTV on and the coolant hose that goes fro the overflow tank to the intake and 1 other place that I can't remember. It's rubbing on the shifter where it sticks up out of the trans, there is a significant gouge on it, but it hasn't gotten any worse that I can tell and I noticed that around 20k miles ago.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
Some of the 2011 Regals were made in Germany and some in Canada. I had a German built car and it was outstanding. The common issues are listed at the beginning of this forum. How many miles are on the vehicle? My Regal was an automatic and it seems to me that there has been more complaints about the manuals. I would not rule out 2012 and 2013 models as they have the same LHU engine. I drove mine 75K in 3 years and traded it in for a ‘13 GS which I’m still driving and both Regals have been the best cars that I have owned.
Like what he said lmao, I own a 2016 Regal GS (Automatic) I yet havent had any issues except my recalls on both tail lamps. My vin on my car is made out from Canada but everyone I've seen has issues with there GS. (Knock on wood) that I havent had any issues. Great car

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
Thanks all, sorry for the delay..I was hoping to get this car as it only had 55k on it, but the seller started being flaky so doesn't look like it's going to happen. I was also looking at the Veranos and GS's, looks like they all use the same LHU engine, were there any changes year to year on these engines other than the oil monitoring system? Strange how the Veranos are all praised as for reliability when they use the exact same drivetrain, but I don't believe started using the LHU until 2013...

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
My Regal and my last car were first year builds and I never had any problems with either one. My wife also has a 2014 Regal and she hasn't had any problems with her car, so it seems thats just a myth.

Since the Regal you're looking at buying is 8 years old I would imagine it won't be a very reliable car. Buying a used car is always a gamble and the older it is the more chance you'll have problems with it.
LMAO, how about all the recalls and TBS that come out, the list is endless. The new TourX already has suspension problems, read the forums.

https://www.cars.com/recalls/buick-regal-2014/

So you are saying that a 2014 Regal will become a unreliable car in 2022, what makes a car unreliable in 8 years, I have a 1995 Buick lesabre that kind of makes that a myth.
The cars I currently have are model years 2005, 2005, 2001, 1999, 2013, 2016.....All low mileage and self maintained and would not hesitate to drive any one of them cross country, so no, I definitely don't agree that just because a car is 8 years old it's unreliable.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Here's a quick overview LHU - LTG, but as always it's how the previous owner took care of it along with possible production known problems for that year(s) as Walt G pointed out.

2.0 Turbo: LHU Vs. LTG

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
Well guys, I believe I just made a deal on a sub 30,000 miles 2012 GS. It's 7 years old but I guess I will get a good year out of it before it falls apart!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Well l guess you beat the milage averages and you can thank the first owner for taking the first minute out the door depreciation along with beta testing it for all the defects, TSB, getting it serviced, higher payment for the same car you just got for way less. Not to mention the lower insurance cost plus the surplus of used parts available and that the aftermarket suppliers are well stocked now. Plus you have the advantage of finding out about a potential problem before it happens by reviewing the forums.

I wish you well on the new vehicle to you, that may be 7 years old LOL.

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
Well l guess you beat the milage averages and you can thank the first owner for taking the first minute out the door depreciation along with beta testing it for all the defects, TSB, getting it serviced, higher payment for the same car you just got for way less. Not to mention the lower insurance cost plus the surplus of used parts available and that the aftermarket suppliers are well stocked now. Plus you have the advantage of finding out about a potential problem before it happens by reviewing the forums.

I wish you well on the new vehicle to you, that may be 7 years old LOL.
Thanks, that's pretty much my attitude toward just about any car I buy!