• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

New Owner Amazed at MPG's on 350 Mile Trip

Scott in PA

Beaver Falls, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hello to all!
Recently acquired a 2018 TourX Essence with Driver 1&2, S&S, and sunroof with 18k miles (lease turn-in). Once She Who Will Not Be Named celebrated over not having to climb into the cab of the traded-in F150, we packed a few items and headed to a wedding about 3 hours away. The terrain was mostly flat to gentle rolling hills in Eastern Ohio heading to and from Columbus.

The leeward journey showed 34.8mpg over 180 miles on the freeway. I was highly skeptical. My Audi A8 4.0 routinely tells me I'm getting 28-29-30mpg when the reality check shows it's really 24-25. Our return trip started with a fillup at Costco then right onto the freeway. When we got off the highway I headed straight to a filling station. The car readout for the 130 mile leg was 36.6. No Way! So I manually calculated 130 miles divided by the 3.46 gallons I just put in the tank and Holy #$&t!! It comes out to 37.2mpg. For the record, the weather was perfect, the traffic relatively light, and I pegged the ACC at 9mph over posted so we were between 74-79 90% of the time. Impressive. What a shame GM never bothered to recognize and market this.

Initial Impressions: Good

Great handling. Great brakes. Acceleration is adequate and I never wanted for more thrust on this trip (with wifey in the car, F1 driving is a no-no). Radio sound is top notch. Car Play integration is a breeze. Seats, pedal angles and ergonomics are all on the good-to-very-good scale. Really happy with the 360° visibility. Steering wheel controls are logical and nicely spaced. And the nanny driving systems are not too intrusive.

Not So Good

The harmonics are strange at certain speeds, but it is a big echo chamber, so then there's that. I guess we get that nice sounding stereo thanks to no spare tire. A trade-off I am willing to make.

HVAC is adequate at best. Very little difference in temperature from left to right, even with settings 10°-12° apart. And that fan! As soon as you start the car it goes into Mary Poppins Kite Flying mode. Yes, I've gone into Settings and reduced it. We ended up just manually adjusting the HVAC as we toddled along.

Sun visors don't extend. Repeat...WTF? Reminds me of my brand-spankin' new Enclave in '08 with every conceivable option only to find out the passenger seat cushion only adjusted fore and aft. Hello, GM, passenger butts need to incline/recline, too.....

I won't complain that the ACC brakes a little aggressively at times because in my mind braking is the job of the driver. Always. I chuckle when I see the constructions signs that say "Be prepared to stop" because I am ALWAYS PREPARED TO STOP.

So there you have it. I bought my White Frost Tricoat with Shale & Ebony accents for repeated 2400 mile trips over the next few years, and I think it will be a winner. I honestly believe German chassis are the best, and having one with a Buick badge is like a wolf in sheep's clothing. If I want to blow past everyone I'll take the Audi. If I want a compliant, engaging, attractive cruise, this is definetly the car. Since I still have original factory warranty for another 16 months, you'll see me lurking and commenting. After that, I'll be seeking your assistance into potential upgrade possibilities! That upmarket dash already looks sweet.

Thanks for having me.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
A VW product that produces different MPGs than shown? Color me surprised! I've had V8 cars from the 80s see near 30mpg. Clearly they're not trying as hard at the fuel economy thing as they'd like us to think. Surprised somewhat that the AC doesn't sound great (but you're not the first to say so); I am generally pleased with the AC in my '93. Perhaps they're forced to use some less than stellar refrigerant wherever the TourX is manufactured.

Scott in PA

Beaver Falls, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
A VW product that produces different MPGs than shown? Color me surprised! I've had V8 cars from the 80s see near 30mpg. Clearly they're not trying as hard at the fuel economy thing as they'd like us to think. Surprised somewhat that the AC doesn't sound great (but you're not the first to say so); I am generally pleased with the AC in my '93. Perhaps they're forced to use some less than stellar refrigerant wherever the TourX is manufactured.
FWIW my first car was a 1966 Mercury Monterey, big as a city block, room for 6 and their suitcases in the trunk. It sported a 426 V8 that spewed out 345hp and damn near 30mpg. Went through a couple sets of bias ply tires as they seemed to smoke a lot.
I certainly didn't buy the Audi for it's mpg's. If those numbskulls hadn't single-handedly destroyed the passenger car diesel market, I'd have the new A6 Allroad in diesel form as the perfect car.

BucknerBall

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Hello to all!
Recently acquired a 2018 TourX Essence with Driver 1&2, S&S, and sunroof with 18k miles (lease turn-in). Once She Who Will Not Be Named celebrated over not having to climb into the cab of the traded-in F150, we packed a few items and headed to a wedding about 3 hours away. The terrain was mostly flat to gentle rolling hills in Eastern Ohio heading to and from Columbus.

The leeward journey showed 34.8mpg over 180 miles on the freeway. I was highly skeptical. My Audi A8 4.0 routinely tells me I'm getting 28-29-30mpg when the reality check shows it's really 24-25. Our return trip started with a fillup at Costco then right onto the freeway. When we got off the highway I headed straight to a filling station. The car readout for the 130 mile leg was 36.6. No Way! So I manually calculated 130 miles divided by the 3.46 gallons I just put in the tank and Holy #$&t!! It comes out to 37.2mpg. For the record, the weather was perfect, the traffic relatively light, and I pegged the ACC at 9mph over posted so we were between 74-79 90% of the time. Impressive. What a shame GM never bothered to recognize and market this.

Initial Impressions: Good

Great handling. Great brakes. Acceleration is adequate and I never wanted for more thrust on this trip (with wifey in the car, F1 driving is a no-no). Radio sound is top notch. Car Play integration is a breeze. Seats, pedal angles and ergonomics are all on the good-to-very-good scale. Really happy with the 360° visibility. Steering wheel controls are logical and nicely spaced. And the nanny driving systems are not too intrusive.

Not So Good

The harmonics are strange at certain speeds, but it is a big echo chamber, so then there's that. I guess we get that nice sounding stereo thanks to no spare tire. A trade-off I am willing to make.

HVAC is adequate at best. Very little difference in temperature from left to right, even with settings 10°-12° apart. And that fan! As soon as you start the car it goes into Mary Poppins Kite Flying mode. Yes, I've gone into Settings and reduced it. We ended up just manually adjusting the HVAC as we toddled along.

Sun visors don't extend. Repeat...WTF? Reminds me of my brand-spankin' new Enclave in '08 with every conceivable option only to find out the passenger seat cushion only adjusted fore and aft. Hello, GM, passenger butts need to incline/recline, too.....

I won't complain that the ACC brakes a little aggressively at times because in my mind braking is the job of the driver. Always. I chuckle when I see the constructions signs that say "Be prepared to stop" because I am ALWAYS PREPARED TO STOP.

So there you have it. I bought my White Frost Tricoat with Shale & Ebony accents for repeated 2400 mile trips over the next few years, and I think it will be a winner. I honestly believe German chassis are the best, and having one with a Buick badge is like a wolf in sheep's clothing. If I want to blow past everyone I'll take the Audi. If I want a compliant, engaging, attractive cruise, this is definetly the car. Since I still have original factory warranty for another 16 months, you'll see me lurking and commenting. After that, I'll be seeking your assistance into potential upgrade possibilities! That upmarket dash already looks sweet.

Thanks for having me.
I agree with your point about the sun visor, Scott. How in the world could thye build a car with this many features and not have a visor that extends all the way to cover the side window. Truly baffling!

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Their are some threads here where people swapped out the stock visors for ones that slide. Since I got tinted I haven't found this to be a necessity now.

As for the ACC...you will get used to it and anticipate what it is going to do. Now I am pretty good at giving it some throttle or braking before it will then resuming as needed.

If you plan on doing road trips I highly recommend getting a compact spare. I thought I would be fine with the slim and compressor but shortly after bringing her home I hit a rock in the road that took out the sidewall. No slime will fix that. So for piece of mind I have a spare and it still allows you to keep the spare.

Congrats on the new ride by the way!

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Welcome! Glad you enjoyed the first trip in your Regal. A tip on the HVAC. The system on this vehicle works significantly better if you sync the two sides. This is the case on Audi vehicles as well. The fan will come on strong to hear or cool the interior but then if you adjust up or down one or two degrees everything settles down.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
Re: mileage, this car does well this time of year on long trips. Less so in colder temps and in-town driving. Overall it’s not bad at all.

Scott in PA

Beaver Falls, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
If you plan on doing road trips I highly recommend getting a compact spare. I thought I would be fine with the slim and compressor but shortly after bringing her home I hit a rock in the road that took out the sidewall. No slime will fix that. So for piece of mind I have a spare and it still allows you to keep the spare.

My '14 CTS didn't have a spare, either, and I found a nice donut to fit. Took up a lot of trunk space in that Caddy, but peace of mind is worh a few cubic feet, right? Did you get a new one or find a used one?

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
Somebody claimed theirs came with a spare and provided a part number a while back I believe. Might take some digging to find, or maybe they'll see this thread.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
We just did a Milwaukee to Raleigh haul in ours. Myself, wife, and daughter with cargo are full of luggage... plus a 22 cu/ft Thule roof box packed full. My average for 1133 miles was right at 28 mpg (hand calculated). The computer is always a little generous, but nothing more than 1-2% usually. Speeds for the entire trip ranged from 65-74 with the a/c on the entire trip. I was also running a 12v thermoelectric cooler in the cargo area, putting a little load on the alternator.

This car makes road trips breeze by. Even with the added weight and wind resistance of my cargo, power was never an issue when needing to pass or head up some 5% grades. I used manual mode while in cruise to downshift to 7th or 6th when going up grades to avoid the lugging this transmission loves to try and do.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Did Gallup, NM to Albuquerque and back today - I-40 and running all over Albuquerque. 27 to 28 mpg pretty consistently. Not bad for 85 mph on the interstate and elevation varying from 6500 ft to a bit over 7000 ft down to 5100 ft and back again.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Re: mileage, this car does well this time of year on long trips. Less so in colder temps and in-town driving. Overall it’s not bad at all.
This time of year, even my 600RWHP old Mustang Cobra can average 23 mpg for the month as I commute in light traffic. The TourX is back at 33 mpg with the OEM tires and gentle throttle. But in winter the avg mpg drops to 26 with the low temp and performance winter snow tires. The snow tires definitely have higher rolling resistance and are a bit noisier, but have more dry road grip than The Conti OEM tires.
My best 450 mile MPG was +36, but it is torture hyper-miling.
PS. TourX is not a city car for a lot of reasons, mpg being one.

Last edited:

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I find trucks to be easier since I can tell where the corners are easier. Probably due to seat position, not being as rounded and bigger mirrors.

I have a trip planned for later this summer, going from NJ to SC. In the past I have been able to get mid 30's fully and I mean fully loaded. This year I was thinking about using my Thule cargo box to get some of the weight between the axles rather than over hanging the rear but I was afraid of the hit to mpg since it is a huge change around town. If I could get upper 20's like mentioned above that would be awesome.

Scott in PA

Beaver Falls, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I find trucks to be easier since I can tell where the corners are easier. Probably due to seat position, not being as rounded and bigger mirrors.

I have a trip planned for later this summer, going from NJ to SC. In the past I have been able to get mid 30's fully and I mean fully loaded. This year I was thinking about using my Thule cargo box to get some of the weight between the axles rather than over hanging the rear but I was afraid of the hit to mpg since it is a huge change around town. If I could get upper 20's like mentioned above that would be awesome.
I have a Leer cap on teh truck that makes seeing the corners tough.
Next week heading from PA to FL. I'll track my mileage as I careen through the mountains to the savannah and back.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My wife's Honda routinely shows 4 to 5 MOG higher than it actually gets. The Buick is pretty accurate I found. My old 850 Volvo was always accurate to within 1 MPG, usually less.

My first trip, from the dealer home was 1000 miles. Mostly flat ground cruise set at 80, sometimes higher, ac on the whole time I got just under 30mpg. If I set it at 70 or 75 I have no doubts I would have seen 35. But around town with some mixed highway it's 22 or so. If I'm less agressive I can squeak 24. Otherwise few complaints. Welcome to the club. It always surprises me how many comments I still get on the car.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners