New owner low miles 2006 CXL... Your input please.

CarlsbadCatDad

Buick Ownership
2006 LaCrosse CXL
I just received my father's 06 with well under 30k on it.

The car is in incredible shape. It's been garaged for its nearly 16 years of ownership and, minus some bumper rash (the garbage receptacles were in the garage, for one) and very minor low spots from what looks like attempted door dings, it seems to be in pretty darn great shape...

The car seems to need a lot of alignments, for one. Being an Asian car owner, I've never needed three alignments in 4 years like this one has had. I recall that a control arm needed to be replaced a while back also (16k miles/11 years old). I haven't seen that yet in the service records that I'm scouring through. True, maybe my dad and the other people driving his car are bad drivers or like to take potholes and bumps on at high rates of speed... Any known problems with the suspension and steering?

Also, an oddity that I am not used to seeing... Are all LaCrosses equipped with always-on 12V outlets? I like to have a Garmin and a higher output USB adapter plugged in, but those draw over 30 Watts (combined) and sitting in a garage for a few days would probably kill the darn battery. Is this a switchable feature somewhere? I couldn't find it in the owner's manual but I have been pretty disappointed in that manual already for its lack of thoroughness.

Speaking of disappointment, I'm disappointed in them not having a nice VIN plate with all the color codes, body and engine information all in one spot. To get the color code for touch up paint, I had to open the trunk and lift the floor cover... Yikes! I haven't even found a VIN plate with the factory information and all that stuff, I used the vehiclehistory website for that.

If you have something that you think will be useful, to create checklist of issues that aren't part of service bulletins or recalls, I would love to see it. I think I am at the point where I need to determine how much money I'm going to put in fixing up this stuff and if I should expect to continually drop money into the suspension or alignment, whatever it is. I just can't put a whole bunch of money into it repeatedly, I've got two kids in college now and one of them is going into law school, I am not going to have money for a long time 😁

Thank you so very, very, very much.

CarlsbadCatDad

Buick Ownership
2006 LaCrosse CXL
I just received my father's 06 with well under 30k on it.

The car is in incredible shape. It's been garaged for its nearly 16 years of ownership and, minus some bumper rash (the garbage receptacles were in the garage, for one) and very minor low spots from what looks like attempted door dings, it seems to be in pretty darn great shape...

The car seems to need a lot of alignments, for one. Being an Asian car owner, I've never needed three alignments in 4 years like this one has had. I recall that a control arm needed to be replaced a while back also (16k miles/11 years old). I haven't seen that yet in the service records that I'm scouring through. True, maybe my dad and the other people driving his car are bad drivers or like to take potholes and bumps on at high rates of speed... Any known problems with the suspension and steering?

Also, an oddity that I am not used to seeing... Are all LaCrosses equipped with always-on 12V outlets? I like to have a Garmin and a higher output USB adapter plugged in, but those draw over 30 Watts (combined) and sitting in a garage for a few days would probably kill the darn battery. Is this a switchable feature somewhere? I couldn't find it in the owner's manual but I have been pretty disappointed in that manual already for its lack of thoroughness.

Speaking of disappointment, I'm disappointed in them not having a nice VIN plate with all the color codes, body and engine information all in one spot. To get the color code for touch up paint, I had to open the trunk and lift the floor cover... Yikes! I haven't even found a VIN plate with the factory information and all that stuff, I used the vehiclehistory website for that.

If you have something that you think will be useful, to create checklist of issues that aren't part of service bulletins or recalls, I would love to see it. I think I am at the point where I need to determine how much money I'm going to put in fixing up this stuff and if I should expect to continually drop money into the suspension or alignment, whatever it is. I just can't put a whole bunch of money into it repeatedly, I've got two kids in college now and one of them is going into law school, I am not going to have money for a long time 😁

Thank you so very, very, very much.
By the way, I was in a 99.9¢ Store for the first time in a while and I happened to see an oil filter, a Purolator PureOne, on the shelf... I went to Google with the model number (PL10111) And it turns out that it is compatible with my LaCrosse! The likelihood of that is pretty astounding, I think. Considering the conventional oil only got changed once every 18-24 months, one of the things on my list to do was to upgrade to a full synthetic and put in a higher mileage-rated filter to try to break up and clean out any sludge that might have been in the works. I only bought two filters, that'll last me a year and there were plenty left for other people to be lucky.

Attachments

• 16316615841185975474412969683972.jpg
    16316615841185975474412969683972.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 0
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners