• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

New owner - question about acceleration

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Hello all. I recently purchased a 2018 Regal Sportback with the 2.0L engine. So far I've been impressed with the acceleration.

Tonight I was accelerating from a cloverleaf up to speed on a 65mph highway. I didn't even realize it but it seemed like I "floored it" and the pedal bottomed out. It seemed to "floor" a lot easier than my other vehicles (Chevy Cruze and Traverse). I also was expecting the engine to downshift and rev a little higher than it did.

Just curious if this is normal of if something might be off. I will see if I an replicate. Maybe I'm just imagining things!

This was a GM certified used car so it should have for sure have all of the recalls done on it.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Make sure you're actually "on the floor". There's an "indent" about 3/4 of the way through the throttle travel that feels like a "stop". When you push past it you actually get to the "floor".

(Naturally I'm sure GM got some sort of EPA credit for this "feature".) :rolleyes:

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
Did you press the pedal down pass the stop?
It's possible it was the "stop" that I was feeling (like I said - this car is new for me). Is the purpose of that just to prevent people from over-accelerating or damaging the engine? I don't think I've ever experienced that before on a different car.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I have found that using M and getting the transmission in 3rd or 4th gear is best for cloverleafs depending on the severity of the curve. Then once Im up to speed I go back to D.

Before this the car would either be a rev slug or take too long to downshift to an appropriate gear before upshifting to save gas.

Anyway, welcome! Mash that pedal all the way to the floor and let us know!

Tazmontana

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bowmanville, Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback, 2020 Encore GX AWD, 2000 Yamaha Royal Star Venture Millennium Edition (#1089)
Don't forget that premium gas is what GM recommends for this car. I've run a full tank of regular 87 octane and a full tank of the hi-test 94 octane, and there's quite a noticeable difference in acceleration between the two.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Don't forget that premium gas is what GM recommends for this car. I've run a full tank of regular 87 octane and a full tank of the hi-test 94 octane, and there's quite a noticeable difference in acceleration between the two.
I noticed essentially no change between 87 and 93 after running through a few tanks of each. After learning the transmission is torque limiting in nearly every gear, running premium is more of a 'nice to have' so the engine isn't pulling timing when you do floor it.

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
I noticed essentially no change between 87 and 93 after running through a few tanks of each. After learning the transmission is torque limiting in nearly every gear, running premium is more of a 'nice to have' so the engine isn't pulling timing when you do floor it.
I live where there are a lot of hills, and I definitely notice a decrease in torque on 87. When driving up the one hill by my house I can really feel the engine pull a lot less. I notice a lot less of a difference on the interstate or a flat road though.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I live where there are a lot of hills, and I definitely notice a decrease in torque on 87. When driving up the one hill by my house I can really feel the engine pull a lot less. I notice a lot less of a difference on the interstate or a flat road though.
Hmm...I thought most of the modern DI turbos had the same torque numbers for regular versus premium, just a drop in the top end when HP starts to peak.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
I have 91 octane in it. Most of the gas stations around here (Minneapolis/St. Paul area) the premium is 91 octane. It's hard to find 92 or 93 (not sure why - must be what our refinery gives us). I can't imagine that 91 vs 92 or 93 is a huge difference though.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
I did "floor" it this morning on the way to work and I did find the "indent". So I think what I was noticing last night was the indent. Thanks for all the input. I'm impressed with the responses - some other car forums that I have posted on (for my Chevys) would barely ever get a response.

bloomer

Stillwater Mn.
Buick Ownership
TourX (Red Needle)
Experienced the detent stop for the first time on a 2002 Audi A6, 4.2 sport package transport. Car was really fun but maintainance nightmare.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
More info on the pedal detent in this thread:

In a nutshell, it's commonly referred to as a kickdown switch and simply triggers the downshifts to get the revs up. The detent makes it easier to drive conservatively by not letting you inadvertently push past the kickdown switch.

Last edited:

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
More info on the pedal detent in this thread:

In a nutshell, it's commonly referred to as a kickdown switch and simply triggers the downshifts to get the revs up. The detent makes it easier to drive conservatively by not letting you inadvertently push past the kickdown switch.
Kind of laughing at myself now that I see that thread. But at least I'm not the only one that was thrown off by it.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I have 91 octane in it. Most of the gas stations around here (Minneapolis/St. Paul area) the premium is 91 octane. It's hard to find 92 or 93 (not sure why - must be what our refinery gives us). I can't imagine that 91 vs 92 or 93 is a huge difference though.
Most BPs in the TC have 93.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Unfortunately there aren't many BPs near me. It's all Holiday (Circle K) or Speedway. Nearest BP is probably 10 minutes from my house.
During lockdown last year I was driving down to Eagan from Roseville to get the cheapest 93 I could find ($1.38).

Driving an extra little bit to get 93 (if you want it) is a small price to pay. Well... besides the cost difference between 87 and 93. :ROFLMAO:

Hope to see you out on the open road sometime.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
During lockdown last year I was driving down to Eagan from Roseville to get the cheapest 93 I could find ($1.38).

Driving an extra little bit to get 93 (if you want it) is a small price to pay. Well... besides the cost difference between 87 and 93. :ROFLMAO:

Hope to see you out on the open road sometime.
Have you compared performance between 91 octane and 93 octane?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!