• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

New owner - question about acceleration

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Over road trips I've gotten 93 and I can't say it was any better than 91 available locally.

Bigger difference you'll find in Minnesota is winter grade v summer
This ^

From a seat of my pants perspective it's tough to really determine 91 vs 93. Even when I run 87 around town I notice nothing. Those with EFI Live can see the timing being pulled when running lower octanes, though. But with the transmission always doing torque limiting in nearly every gear I just don't think a stock car is going to take full advantage of the "posted numbers" the LTG is rated at.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The kickdown feature is nothing new especially for euro cars. I kinda like it. No need to the engine to scream every time you wanna go fast now. I think it makes the down shifts much more controllable. If you need that one last year then it's there. On the highway for me the downshifts are perfectly controllable exactly how you want em. It's normal speeds, 35, 45 mph where it gets frustrating that it won't drops gears fast enough, or drop enough gears. Just be careful...you'll be doing 90+ before you know it, and it feels the same as 70.

Also yeah you can use 87, but the ecu will just detect more knock and pull more timing, which = a decrease in torque plain and simple. Your supposed to use 91. So don't be cheep and try to save that couple of $ on a fill up, seriously. It's literally a couple of $

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
The kickdown feature is nothing new especially for euro cars. I kinda like it. No need to the engine to scream every time you wanna go fast now. I think it makes the down shifts much more controllable. If you need that one last year then it's there. On the highway for me the downshifts are perfectly controllable exactly how you want em. It's normal speeds, 35, 45 mph where it gets frustrating that it won't drops gears fast enough, or drop enough gears. Just be careful...you'll be doing 90+ before you know it, and it feels the same as 70.

Also yeah you can use 87, but the ecu will just detect more knock and pull more timing, which = a decrease in torque plain and simple. Your supposed to use 91. So don't be cheep and try to save that couple of $ on a fill up, seriously. It's literally a couple of $
I'm ok using 91. It's just hard to find 92 or 93 in my part of the Minneapolis/St. Paul suburbs. Our market is dominated by Holiday Gas Stations (owned by Circle K) and they only carry 91. I'm at least a 10 minute drive to the nearest place that has 92 or 93 and none of them are really even on my way to or from work.

I don't mind the indent/detent now that I know how it works. I just never had a car with it before and didn't know what was going on.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX
I'm ok using 91. It's just hard to find 92 or 93 in my part of the Minneapolis/St. Paul suburbs. Our market is dominated by Holiday Gas Stations (owned by Circle K) and they only carry 91. I'm at least a 10 minute drive to the nearest place that has 92 or 93 and none of them are really even on my way to or from work.

I don't mind the indent/detent now that I know how it works. I just never had a car with it before and didn't know what was going on.
It's like the "ancient" times of carburation setups with primaries and secondaries. You'd push the go pedal down to the detent and the primaries would be fully opened, then as you pushed past the detent the secondaries would start to open.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
It's like the "ancient" times of carburation setups with primaries and secondaries. You'd push the go pedal down to the detent and the primaries would be fully opened, then as you pushed past the detent the secondaries would start to open.
I'm in my mid 40's...never owned a car with a carburetor. I think my brother's 84 Impala had one though.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I'm in my mid 40's...never owned a car with a carburetor. I think my brother's 84 Impala had one though.
I'm 43 and there's a car with a 2 barrel Carter carb sitting in my garage right now...
Mustang and TourX.jpg

However I also owned a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme sedan with the Olds 307 V8 and eQuadraJet (more like JUNK) - you didn't miss anything by missing out on carburetion

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Oh bringing back days of my youth and the sweet smell of starting fluid that was lingering in the air with the occasional accent of swearing on the first real cold winter day looking down a hole which decided to refuse to cooperate, yes carburetors and those magical moments.

Amct15

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal GS
Oh bringing back days of my youth and the sweet smell of starting fluid that was lingering in the air with the occasional accent of swearing on the first real cold winter day looking down a hole which decided to refuse to cooperate, yes carburetors and those magical moments.
How about spraying carb cleaner into one of those little passageways only to have it come out an adjacent hole right in to your eye.

OUCH!

Yep, had a few head dunks into the pool!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Burning hair another popular way to confirm you had spark by small nuclear explosion coming out the carburetor.

Yes the older vehicles were easy to work on and you could pretty much do any manufacturer with the only difference was the distributor location. This was another object of much love and would also let you know it was fully operational by giving a little zap equal to today's police stun gun.

But the one thing that never gets mentioned is how much humor these devices gave, especially when all the damage was done to other people aka friends.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Had a friend with a ‘86 Cutlas Supreme Salon 2 door

that thing was so quiet and plush seats. Sofa on wheels.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Had a friend with a ‘86 Cutlas Supreme Salon 2 door

that thing was so quiet and plush seats. Sofa on wheels.
Yes but it would have been better with even just rudimentary TBI (Throttle Body Injection). GM should be ashamed that the 307 V8 was in production from the late 70s until the early 1990s and NEVER got anything better than a 4 barrel carb with a rat's nest of vacuum hoses to try to meet emissions standards. My 1982 Celebrity with the Iron Duke at least had rudimentary TBI.

bloomer

Stillwater Mn.
Buick Ownership
TourX (Red Needle)
My 70 Boos 302 had a 800 cfm double pumper carb with a manual choke. Little info on octane around the twin cities. I fuel up at the Fleet Farm in Oakdale most of the time and they have 92 there. (36&694)

Last edited:

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Oh man, we still have an 82 olds custom cruiser that had that CCC carbed 307. 2 ton car with 140hp. It now has a 6litre LQ4 from a 2003 silverado in it, much improved. And my dad had an 82 Olds omega with that iron duke TBI. 90hp. Reliable, but slow. I can't imagine how bad it would have been with the carb.

And old cars easier to work on? That's debatable. You could easily say new cars are easier cause they don't have to be worked on. And now that diagnostics have gotten so much better than the dark days of OBD1 and each manufacture doing God knows what. At least it's standardized for emissions. But I will admit things like windows and locks, infotainment, without a scanner your boned. But there are still a lot of options you can invest in for your laptop that are now 10k like it used to be for a scanner, and all the adaptors, and software carts...etc etc

Haha also, I have a 59 bug eye sprite with a carb, and a turbo!

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
Sometimes all my '70 Skylark needed was "the pen trick" to get her fired up when the air was moisture-laden. Always had a little fuel or something to throw down the hole if need be. My girl got used to it - and she even remembers that sometimes.

Carbs I understand - maybe that's why I like the old 350 4 bbl I the boat so much. Since our recent cars sound more like a sewing machine - hearing that V8 rumble is always welcome.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Oh man, we still have an 82 olds custom cruiser that had that CCC carbed 307. 2 ton car with 140hp. It now has a 6litre LQ4 from a 2003 silverado in it, much improved. And my dad had an 82 Olds omega with that iron duke TBI. 90hp. Reliable, but slow. I can't imagine how bad it would have been with the carb.

And old cars easier to work on? That's debatable. You could easily say new cars are easier cause they don't have to be worked on. And now that diagnostics have gotten so much better than the dark days of OBD1 and each manufacture doing God knows what. At least it's standardized for emissions. But I will admit things like windows and locks, infotainment, without a scanner your boned. But there are still a lot of options you can invest in for your laptop that are now 10k like it used to be for a scanner, and all the adaptors, and software carts...etc etc

Haha also, I have a 59 bug eye sprite with a carb, and a turbo!
Who sells an aftermarket turbo for the Bug Eyed Sprite?
I met a guy at an MG meet who had an MGA with an aftermarket Supercharger.
Back in the day, I had a new 1960 TR3A. Only extra I ordered on that car was the “Laycock de Normanville” overdrive.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Back in the day, I had a new 1960 TR3A. Only extra I ordered on that car was the “Laycock de Normanville” overdrive.
BTW. That TR3A had twin SU Carburetors. Never gave me problems, as long as I kept center needle jet tube, well lubricated.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
My 1st car, a 78 Buick Regal Sport Coupe (V6 turbo, 4 bbl) had a blow through carb setup. Everything else I've owned has been fuel injected.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
It's a factory setup believe it or not. The 948 has been long gone, it has a late smog 1275 from a midget so it's 8:1 compression. The manifolds and plenum are from an MG Metro Turbo. A hot hatch in europe that made almost 100hp stock. I did a redrill of the exhaust manifold and some porting to put a garret GT17 on from a 2000 or so saab. Stock turbo HS4 setup from the metro, vacuum advance disconnected and it still has points in it. The ignition system has a lot of room for improvement but holy crap does it run good. It's sliiiightly fat cause the metros 1275 was 10:1 compression, not great for boost. But this thing has drivability that's damn near perfect, and I'm a stickler for that. It's nuts how good it runs. I've never checked the boost but I'm pretty sure it's around 4psi. Been beating on it for well over a year with no issues. And it still looks totally factory under the bonnet, with the exception of the obvious plumbing.

I wanted more power without spending a ton on a ported head, a 1380, etc etc. This cost me $500. The A series responds amazingly well to boost.

Blue Sky

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
Have you compared performance between 91 octane and 93 octane?
I have another car in the stable besides the TourX and it runs on a 91 octane tune due to availability in SE Minnesota. That car also recommended 93 from the factory but could run on 87. At any rate my experience is no noticeable difference between 93 or 91 octane in terms of performance. That was also the feedback from the tuner as well.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!